Thread: A ongoing look at a PVS-31a

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

A ongoing look at a PVS-31a

I was blessed and fortunate to snag a near brand new PVS-31a and it has been killing me that I haven,t had much time to do any sort of review on it. Bear with me as I will add pictures and video over time, when time allows as I am and have been extremely busy.

My past experience wih night vision is a Gen III PVS-7, which was ok, a couple PVS-14’s some GP some WP, played with a PVS-15 for a few mins, a PVS-30, and now the 31a. I have looked through a 31 GP, it too was awesome, just green.

The first thing you notice is how light they are. It really does feel pretty much like just a 14 on your head. I run a BAE OASYS UTMx as my scanning thermal coyote and hog hunting and being able to rotate one monocular up and scan with the thermal while also using the NOD is just plain awesome. I know the politics, but to me the TW helmet has always been the most comfortable, so I checked my ethics at the door and got an Exfil. Also got a TNVC Mohawk for the battery pack. Thusfar I have not even used the battery pack, just have been running the single onboard battery.

Turning the unit on is a bit different than any of the other units I have used. The power button is the gain button and you just press it for a second or two and the unit comes on. It has pivot positional stops so once you get the correct spacing on the eyepieces, you screw those stops in and if you pivot the unit up and back down it stops right where you left it. The diopter adjustment is a clip on lens vs the dialing type on the 14. It comes wih a -0.5 I believe (which is the most common according to science and stuff but you can get replacements.

The tubes are just unreal. I am seriously struggling to figure out how to make good NVG photography like some guys can but trust me when I say, nothing I post even comes close to how these things look in real life. I am 100% sold on WP tubes. So much so I sold my GP KAC PVS-30 and have one of the FDE High FOM WP PVS-30’s on order. I have always had headache/migraine issues and the WP is so much easier on my eyes. Besides that the #1 thing that sold me on WP was looking into deep woods, brush, and pine thickets. I can see so much better into cover with the WP. This is extremely important coyote hunting in my area. I also personally feel I can see better into the windows and doors of a structure that is not lit. It also just feels more natural to me. From my house on the SC/GA line I can watch nearly all the planes in their decending and holding patterns at the Atlanta Airport. Luckily the supplied diopter seems to work well for me.

Driving, walking, running....is so much easier with dual tubes. I’ll be honest there are some situations in urban LE work where I can see a lot of big pluses for sticking with the PVS-14. Especially in not having control of the lighting of the structure you are in and needing quick access to using a white light and having a “free eye”, but if you are even remotely rural man the dual tubes kill it.

There are some great options for video recording with a NVG with a PVS-14 type eyepiece. The only thing I found for the 31 besides spending $5k with Wilcox was a Canadian company called Because Operator. A very helpful US L3 dealer turned me onto the product. He explained it was a startup company and these first units are more or less beta testing units. It was ~ $370 so I figured what the hell. So far it has been a pretty awesome little recorder. I have not had a chance to record any video during anything but little to no moon, so I am anxious to see how it does wih a full moon. Again bear with me as I will not have all the pics up tonight. You can google becauseoperator and they have a ton of videos on their facebook. They also make cams for other NVg Units.

It is had to say because the only video I have shot has been in the absolute darkest conditions you can use them in. I would say it’ll probably be good for making out being able to tell a hot on a coyote to around 200-300 yards. Looking at the camera you would think it will block your view by the way it mounts but in reality it is so close your eye really doesn’t notice it. It is extremely light weight snd compact.

Here is a video of me shooting at 200 and manybe 300 yards with a LA-5.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This is video of me on an ATV ona night so dark you couldn’t see your hand in front of your face. I had no issue running near 60 mph and could have gone faster. While on the video it was hard to tell, I could see just incredibily well.
    Yes that is the song from the porsche scene in Super Troopers. Really gave a nice touch to hauling ass down a gravel road in complete darkness

Last edited by Hootiewho; 07-16-18 at 00:13.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    752169F7-13BE-49C7-B9C1-43D1B609CD93.jpg
    6EFBEE6D-B071-4D48-87F1-3587373D62E3.jpg

Looking into extremely thick brush. I couldn’t see well at all into this with a GP 14
    7C7D6EAE-FC9F-48D7-A000-A174790E3B4A.jpg

My nightstalking partner.
    EAD89F9F-9788-41BA-8F85-00F5A1181AD5.jpg

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    These pics are getting closer to what it actually looks like but are still not close.

Ft Moultrie, I believe 1/4 moon and there isn’t much artificial light on this end of the island.

8B1B35CE-15E8-4235-A3B6-4E4DBC803652.jpg
    0A3ADACF-3B60-49E1-AFF7-777B4173F72A.jpg

The Yorktown off in the distance

EADE6B34-60A3-4AF0-9A26-89A3F93D8D2D.jpg

And looking under the Ravenel Bridge. I love how even though you have a ton of artificial light I can still see up into every dark corner of the steelwork.
    29C9885C-E84B-4C1E-A928-8EB8EBCB088C.jpg

I have some more video shot from the Hartwell dam the other night including catching a shooting star which looked to impact. I’ll get it edited and posted on youtube soon.

Overall, despite being very expensive this is absolutely one of the most pleasing and fun item I have ever bought gun/tactical related. I cannot stress enough how in love I am with these 31a’s.

Standby for more into and I’ll probably do a similar thread on my UTMx when time allows.

Later

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Very cool Hootie.

I wish this stuff was cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    31 alphas are awesome. A nice alternative is to go with the newer L3 bnvd-1531 for a small weight increase (since the lenses are glass instead of plastic), but then you also get adjustable diopters built in, an IR illuminator, and 30% less cost. 1531s also weigh much less than 15s, although not as light as the 31As.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review. Enjoyed the videos and learning about BecauseOperator. After months of research, talking to a few knowledgeable people on forums and trying out a friends set of duals I decided to get a pair of TNVC Sentinels w/ WPT L3 filmless tubes. After about 100hrs under them over this winter I cant say I regret it one bit. Possibly the best investment I’ve ever made. Truly opens up so many options of doing things after dark that its pretty remarkable. Glad to see another individual enjoys them as much as I do.

I will most certainly look into BecauseOperator as it seems like a reasonable option to record and share you NVG experiences.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nice review and thanks for sharing. I used to live in Charleston so It’s cool to see it via NV.