Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edc knife suggestions

Feedback Score

Edc knife suggestions

Time to buy a new knife.
    Ive been carrying a CRKT m21 3” blade and really like it, but want something a little bigger.
    I like the safety lock on them and the m16.

Right now Im looking at the 3.8” m21 and a cold steel voyager large 4” blade clip point.

Hiw is the locking mexhanism on the CS, any chance or accidental unlocking?
    Thoughts on regular vs tri lock?
    Any other similar knives I should be looking at? Trying to keep it around $50-$60 ish.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Time to buy a new knife.
    Ive been carrying a CRKT m21 3” blade and really like it, but want something a little bigger.
    I like the safety lock on them and the m16.

Right now Im looking at the 3.8” m21 and a cold steel voyager large 4” blade clip point.

Hiw is the locking mexhanism on the CS, any chance or accidental unlocking?
    Thoughts on regular vs tri lock?
    Any other similar knives I should be looking at? Trying to keep it around $50-$60 ish.
    Not sure how they fully compare, but I absolutely love my current EDC:

CRKT Ken Onion: Homefront

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in.../t-201900.html
    https://www.crkt.com/homefront.html

Last edited by HeruMew; 07-16-18 at 12:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With your budget and if your not in a rush, the Kershaw Natrix XL has a 3.75" while the standard Natrix is 3.25". The XL just hasn't been released yet. Its a flipper, has the KVT ball-bearing opening system. Sub-Frame lock. I don't own one, but I do own the rare ZT0777BLK that it is modeled after and it is an amazing knife.

Feedback Score
    There is no best EDC knife. It is all about personal preference. Ive always loved knives since I was a kid in cub scouts, but didn't start getting serious into them until a couple years ago. I've owned many knives. I have sold many, and bought new ones to replace them. I've owned Kershaws, Spydercos, Bucks, CRKTs, etc.

However, recently I found a knife that I personally love over all my others. It's a Ontario Knife Company Rat I. They usually run about $30, but I got mine brand new for $5 due to a mismarked price tag. It is now my EDC, and never leaves my pocket. It has satisfied my addiction to knife buying as of now!

I was a USA made only guy for a bit, but I learned a knife can be made anywhere in the world as long as the quality control is good. Good luck in your searches!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ive carrried & used for years now, a Spyderco 4" Police fully serrated blade. This thing is 4" of pure flesh cutting HELL.
    Was amazed at the initial sharpness..and how easy it is to keep sharpened with a little Lansky sharpener.
    Thin..very light, can be carried blade up/down..very strong clip, comes out of pocket and opens FAST with that Spyderco thumbhole. Mine has G10 handles.
    Ive used this blade in kitchens to slice paper thin tomatoes, potato's. meats, ect. Cut ropes, leather, just all kinds of stuff with it.
    Very strong locking system, can be used "icepick" style if need be, wont close up on you. Made in Seki Japan...well worth a look, in my opinion sir.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My EDC rotates depending on where I am. For work, it's usually a beat-to-heck Kershaw Leek that's still running beautifully (and holds an edge damn well). 75% of off-the-clock, it's a Case Stockman, and if I'm going to be somewhere that might benefit from its use, a Leatherman Kick. My needs might be different from yours, though. Yes, all mine are USA-made, but I honestly didn't think about it at the time of purchase, and the Case was my grandfather's.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    CRKT, Kershaw. and Cold Steel will all be solid places to look in that price range. So many models to choose from.... I have a voyager, no problems with the lock and a great large working knife.
    I’ve carried large spydercos for 25 years and they were a bargain in the early days, not so much now imo. An Endura with plastic handle can be caught on sale, and while a great lightweight edc, if you pry with your knife, I would look elsewhere.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the suggestions,

Im also looking at the cara cara 2. I really the loop on the blade to easy deployment. The natrix XL looks good as well.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I still carry a spyderco military every day, so I’m still loyal to the brand, but I will admit there is no way it’s a $200 knife😀

Feedback Score
    I've got a couple of recommendations.

At about $80 retail, the Spyderco Endura 4 is a bit over your budget you stated but it is one of my favorite general purpose folders. 4" blade and reasonably thin for its size. I've got a couple and have used them a fair amount.

Slightly below your budget at around $40 retail, the Ontario RAT 1 folder in D2 (the ones on their site are the older AUS8 models). Great steel at a great price. It's a liner lock instead of a back lock so it may not be technically as strong but it will hold up.

The Triad lock is a variant of the back lock that has more contact and a deeper lock from what I understand. It's over built but most people won't notice the difference. I have an older medium Voyager I like a lot though it's pre-Triad lock.
    Industry Disclosure: I work at a local gun shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast