Thread: Proper torque for picatinny.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Proper torque for picatinny.

I was just wondering, is there a rule of thumb as to the proper amount of torque to use for picatinny mounted accessories? Optic mounts, light mounts, etc. I've just been careful not to over tighten and use blue Locktight, but I've been curios if there's a standard?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I tightened to the German spec, gutentight.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr McSimon View Post
    I was just wondering, is there a rule of thumb as to the proper amount of torque to use for picatinny mounted accessories? Optic mounts, light mounts, etc. I've just been careful not to over tighten and use blue Locktight, but I've been curios if there's a standard?
    It depends on what is being bolted onto the picatinny, not on the picatinny itself. The 'correct' torque depends on several factors: thread pitch, threaded material (steel?, aluminum? what grade/alloy?), bolt diameter, bolt material, thread locker etc. Optic mounts using cross bolt/nut arrangements like Geissele, Nightforce, Badger take roughly 60-75 inch-lbs. Smaller light mounts might be only 15-30 inch-lbs. They both mount to picatinny, but torque all depends on the bolt arrangement that is used. If you know the materials used, you can get an estimate from a torque calculator from a fastener mfg. website (if you like to split hairs).

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    It depends on what is being bolted onto the picatinny, not on the picatinny itself. The 'correct' torque depends on several factors: thread pitch, threaded material (steel?, aluminum? what grade/alloy?), bolt diameter, bolt material, thread locker etc. Optic mounts using cross bolt/nut arrangements like Geissele, Nightforce, Badger take roughly 60-75 inch-lbs. Smaller light mounts might be only 15-30 inch-lbs. They both mount to picatinny, but torque all depends on the bolt arrangement that is used. If you know the materials used, you can get an estimate from a torque calculator from a fastener mfg. website (if you like to split hairs).
    Now that's an answer I can sink my teeth into, and makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I tightened to the German spec, gutentight.
    And that's pretty much the spec I've been following.