Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Much Tree Is Really Cover?

Feedback Score

How Much Tree Is Really Cover?

Tree diameter. How thick does a tree have to be to provide cover? Of course if someone is shooting at you with say a FAL, that tree will have to be thicker and probably even for an AK but as a general rule, using a pine tree trunk as an example, what do you say?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My width plus at least a inch on either side.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have shot trees plenty of times and rounds will go through some pretty good size trees. How much energy on the other side, I have no idea. I am sure it depends on what kind of tree it is also.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    MAC did a test on that a few years ago. I believe he used 3 different calibers. 308, 5.45x39 and I don't remember the 3rd. Surprisingly 5.45 made it through a few trees that stopped 308.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If it will stop a bullet it is cover, if it hides you but will not stop a bullet it is concealment. Too many variables to answer.
    Married to my hero life saver best friend wife & proud father of 2.

BSmith "But, some of the shit falls under the "just because you can..."
    Iraqgunz "Enough of your nonsense. Please check yourself post haste."
    markm "If you like the side charger and see the lack of dust cover as a plus, you should double down on bad ideas and get a piston as well. A case of Independece Ammo will be the icing on the cake."

Feedback Score
    Don’t forget about stacking trees. I don’t know what kind of environment you are thinking, but in more of a woodland space, you can place several trees between you and them, increasing the density of cover.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Only the part your opponents rds will not penetrate is cover.
    As said, doesn’t take a lot to penetrate fairly thick trees.
    Last edited by gaijin; 07-17-18 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    A long time ago when I was in high school I was using about a 18" diameter oak tree as a back stop when sighting in a 30-06 hunting rifle and at 100 yards pretty much all of my rounds went through that tree.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    A long time ago when I was in high school I was using about a 18" diameter oak tree as a back stop when sighting in a 30-06 hunting rifle and at 100 yards pretty much all of my rounds went through that tree.
    If that is the case, a 30-06 might go through a 30" pine tree. At some point, it may be hard to find a pine tree large enough to offer protection. Back in my failed deer hunting days, I used to wonder how far as stray bullet would travel through dense woods to where I was sitting in a tree.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    If that is the case, a 30-06 might go through a 30" pine tree. At some point, it may be hard to find a pine tree large enough to offer protection. Back in my failed deer hunting days, I used to wonder how far as stray bullet would travel through dense woods to where I was sitting in a tree.
    Type of bullet will play a role too. Are you hunting with FMJ or soft point/expanding bullets?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast