Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy testing, BCM, DD, CHF, STD

Feedback Score

Accuracy testing, BCM, DD, CHF, STD

Today I did a accuracy test among 3 of my more accurate AR-15s to see which is the one AR to rule them all. Figured I'd post the results for everyone's amusement.

The contestants

Daniel Defense CHF 16" mid-length barrel with Warcomp muzzle device
    Geissele mk13 rail
    G2S trigger
    Primary Arms 1-6 FFP

BCM CHF 16" mid-length barrel with AAC FH
    BCM keymod rail
    SSA trigger
    Meopta 1-4

BCM STD 16" mid-length barrel with AAC FH
    Centurion C4 12" quadrail
    SSA trigger
    Aimpoint T2 with PA x3 magnifier

The ammo is primarily IMI Razor Core 77gr HPBT, which I understand is a MK262 clone
    Some Hornady .223 75gr BTHP steel case match
    Some Federal xm193

All shots from bench. Pictures to follow.

Feedback Score
    Here is the DD barrel with 5 - 5
    Shot groups with the IMI 77gr

Here is the same with the BCM standard CMV barrel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Here is the BCM CHF with the IMI. Apologies that it’s not all on the same paper.

Last edited by Charlie Don't Surf; 07-18-18 at 15:19. Reason: formating

Feedback Score
    Finally the rest with one group each of the Hornady steel case match 75gr and two groups of federal xm193

BCM CHF Hornady

The xm193

The BCM standard barrel
    Hornady 75gr

Xm193

The DD Hornady 75gr

XM193

Last edited by Charlie Don't Surf; 07-18-18 at 15:19. Reason: formating

Feedback Score
    Conclusion: Happy with most of the groups. The Daniel Defense barrel seemed to have the best average accuracy, but it did have the most magnification and best reticle. It also had 2 groups with 3 shots touching, which the other two rifles were not able to achieve at all. There did not seem to be any appreciable accuracy difference between BCM's CHF and standard barrel. The tightest single group of the day goes to the BCM CHF barrel shooting the IMI mk262 at under 1moa, but that rifle also had some of the biggest groups using match ammo. Maybe the wind picked up then.

Overall at worst all 3 guns are easy 2moa with the tested factory match ammo, but many of the groups were closer to 1.5 moa or better. XM193, about 2.5moa or better.
    Last edited by Charlie Don't Surf; 07-18-18 at 15:28.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    The Daniel Defense barrel seemed to have the best average accuracy, but it did have the most magnification and best reticle.
    That skews the results for sure. At a quick glance, I'd be ok with any of those barrels.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That skews the results for sure. At a quick glance, I'd be ok with any of those barrels.
    Exactly. Not scientific at all. Just anecdotal. And agreed, all seem acceptable.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I have way too many variables for serious scientific testing. Just for starters I'd need to have the same muzzle devices and optics, not to mention atmospheric effects, barrel temperature and a waaay bigger sample size of groups.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the data. I always like seeing people post about results with various barrels. While it may not be statistically significant it does help make buying decisions when you see similar results frequently.

I am not surprised the DD barrel put up the most accurate group, they have a good reputation for accuracy. Was the DD barrel overgased compared to the BCM?

I also think some of the reputation for BCM barrels not being accurate are a little overblown.

It seems like Colt is generally considered one of the most accurate chrome lined barrels overall

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    I am not surprised the DD barrel put up the most accurate group, they have a good reputation for accuracy. Was the DD barrel overgased compared to the BCM?

I also think some of the reputation for BCM barrels not being accurate are a little overblown.
    It doesn’t seem to be over gassed. I’m surprised BCM has a bad rep for accuracy, I’m very happy with my two barrels from them. The CHF one has always been very accurate for me. The Meopta scope mounted on it has a 3moa aiming dot, which is the worst of the group. So it probably can be the most accurate in the group on another day of testing with a better optic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast