Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy testing, BCM, DD, CHF, STD

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Great thread! I like it when when people sit down to see what they can actually do with what they have on hand, versus perfect conditions, matching optics, etc.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have a BCM standard 16" mid that has really surprised me. I plan on keeping it. A mix of Australian Outback 69 gr. Smk, IMI 77gr. Razor core and if I read my handwriting correctly........wolf gold. Shot through a Sico omega and a sico specwar 556k.

BCM16StandardOmegaADI2-1.jpg
    BCM16StandardOmegaADI-1.jpg
    BCM16Standard556KADI2-1.jpg
    BCM16Standard556KADI-1.jpg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Here's some of my BCM barrel accuracy results, the upper is BCM with one of their "Standard" 16-inch government profile mid-length barrels, non-free floated with a standard FSB. Gun is topped with a Steiner P4xi.
    Here's the best groups from a shooting session with IMI 77gr.

I've gotten groups as small as .97" with this gun but they aren't the norm. 1.5 - 2" is more typical with this ammo. However that seems pretty decent to me considering the configuration of the gun in question.

Here are some groups with the same gun shooting Bosnian M855. These groups surprised me as I assumed this was going to be crappy ammo and the results weren't half bad.

One thing I've noticed is that for whatever reason the gun seems to exhibit a slight preference for lighter bullets. In the past it has also shot Hornady VMax 55gr and Provide M193 quite well.

This GUU-5/P style carbine has a BCM barrel in it and I managed a pretty good 100yd grouping with it considering I could barely see that bullseye with my crappy eyesight (I actually had no real expectation of hitting it at all, I had mostly just put it up as a reference point to aim at). I have one pretty bad flyer that I'm sure was my fault but I was pretty impressed I managed to get four out of five with Federal XM193. With the iron sights and Federal I can usually pull off 100yd groups in the 3" - 4" range with this gun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I recently tested two 16” ELW BFH uppers against two Daniel Defense 16” government profile barrels.

I used a Nightforce 2.5-10X42, CBC 77 and ADI 69. Both of those loads would shoot into.5 MOA through a Pac-Nor barreled bolt gun.

The BCMs averaged about 1.8MOA, the DDs averaged about 1.1. The major difference was the DD was more consistent in its group size. It always shot 1-1.3MOA groups. The BCMs would shoot a 1MOA group, then a 2.5, then a 1.2, etc.

The BCM was plenty acceptable but I settled on the DD due to overall better performance and the BCMs were overgassed. Even with the BCM comp recoil was harsher, and ejection was at 2:00. The DDs are softer shooting with AAC flash hiders and eject at 4:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    I recently tested two 16” ELW BFH uppers against two Daniel Defense 16” government profile barrels.

I used a Nightforce 2.5-10X42, CBC 77 and ADI 69. Both of those loads would shoot into.5 MOA through a Pac-Nor barreled bolt gun.

The BCMs averaged about 1.8MOA, the DDs averaged about 1.1. The major difference was the DD was more consistent in its group size. It always shot 1-1.3MOA groups. The BCMs would shoot a 1MOA group, then a 2.5, then a 1.2, etc.

The BCM was plenty acceptable but I settled on the DD due to overall better performance and the BCMs were overgassed. Even with the BCM comp recoil was harsher, and ejection was at 2:00. The DDs are softer shooting with AAC flash hiders and eject at 4:00.
    I’m not a big fan of LW barrels, none of mine (BCM, KAC) are as accurate as their thicker friends and the KMR heats up quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post

This GUU-5/P style carbine has a BCM barrel in it and I managed a pretty good 100yd grouping with it considering I could barely see that bullseye with my crappy eyesight (I actually had no real expectation of hitting it at all, I had mostly just put it up as a reference point to aim at). I have one pretty bad flyer that I'm sure was my fault but I was pretty impressed I managed to get four out of five with Federal XM193. With the iron sights and Federal I can usually pull off 100yd groups in the 3" - 4" range with this gun.

Thats a fine looking rifle, and good work with it.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mirrors my experience. My dad’s DD lightweight typically shoots a little tighter than my CHF ELW BCM barrel, but my BCM is no slouch either.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My BCM 11.5 BFH was an ok shooter... I put 5 or 6 different factory match loads through it and couldn't ever break 1.6moa but it was pretty good (~2.5moa) with PMC 193 which was good with me. My standard 14.5 socom barrel was bad... 6-7moa with surplus bad. I pulled the barrel and re-torqued, I tried different glass, everything i could think of. It was a frustrating experience. Really like BCMs bc they make reliable stuff and I think that in general, from what I have seen on the internetz, they can be decently accurate but they take a backseat to LMT and Colt when I am in the market. I have had better experiences with Colt and LMT and I also rather by from a company that can manage the QC process from start to finish.

Thanks to the OP for posting
    "The machine doesn't make the man, the man makes the machine" - Gucci

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Great to see guys shooting what they have under realistic conditions. I know we all (at least I am really bad about this) want to chase that elusive “Sub MOA” with our battle rifles. I admit I do it often. But, if we are honestly assessing what it takes to make hits on bad things at distance, 2moa at 500 is still 10.5”. Looking at that realistically, that gets us a chest area hit out to the distances 5.56 is capable of for real. Is it nice to shoot sub minute? Of course it is, and many of us probably have guns that will do it, but it isn’t that necessary day in and day out.
    My current “everyday” rifle will shoot 1.5moa with my NF 1-8 NX8. Since it only weights 8.5#, with glass, it’s SUPER comfortable and great to shoot all day. It’s all about what you want, and what you’re willing to pack around.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Here's some of my BCM barrel accuracy results, the upper is BCM with one of their "Standard" 16-inch government profile mid-length barrels, non-free floated with a standard FSB. Gun is topped with a Steiner P4xi.
    Here's the best groups from a shooting session with IMI 77gr.

I've gotten groups as small as .97" with this gun but they aren't the norm. 1.5 - 2" is more typical with this ammo. However that seems pretty decent to me considering the configuration of the gun in question.

Here are some groups with the same gun shooting Bosnian M855. These groups surprised me as I assumed this was going to be crappy ammo and the results weren't half bad.

One thing I've noticed is that for whatever reason the gun seems to exhibit a slight preference for lighter bullets. In the past it has also shot Hornady VMax 55gr and Provide M193 quite well.

Nice work rocking iron sights. I'm so effing blind I'm CENTER MASS with irons. I have one 10.5 LMT that is bare bones irons and we love punching with that gun.

It's fun testing your gear. Optics play such a huge role in how I Shoot groups. It's just not realistic to have the same optic on all your AR's. That's what makes it good.
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-19-18 at 16:20.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast