Thread: Up to $2500 What Thermal Sight to Get?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Up to $2500 What Thermal Sight to Get?

Can spend Up to $2500 What Thermal Sight to Get?

Seems like a ton of options from $2,000 to $2500

Will be hunting Florida scrub and brush up to 100 yards

What have you compared and why did you choose and why?

Any particular problematic models to stay away from?

Feedback Score
    I looked at it extensively about 10mo ago. Pts223 seems to fit your needs well.

Anything else in that price range that Ive seen has very low resolution. The pts looks to be alright although limited range, its greater than your needs from what Ive seen posted.

im sure guys with experience will be along shortly.

Post some links of what your looking at when you have time.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-19-18 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    Some of the ATN's have been hit and miss (3 of same model 2 good, one back for warranty work ) still I went with ThOR 1.25-5 384×288 (60hz) if my budget would have been in your range I'd went with 1-10 640×480 model.. I've been looking for another themal options for few years, then seen that one I got on sale. I'd prefer larger front lens. Had looked at Pulsars 50Hz ones too, I about bought one.
    Best tips I can give is go for higher Hz models 50 + the 30 Hz one I have is best for non moving scanning ie fixed objects or slower game.
    Second tip make sure it has replaceable batterys not a internal rechargeable battery that is a fail in my opinion. I got to use one of them at work good for first year about then battery life issues and shutting down with a charged battery too.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The world is your oyster really in that range a lot of great stuff. I use an entry level Pulsar the RXQ30 had it since April 2017 I was lucky enough to get one of the very first units in the U.S. it's been perfect I even use it for deer sits in the stand. We hunt Florida scrub and cattle pasture for hogs and yotes. Pal has a Pulsar Trail and also the Rolls Royce of thermals a 640 Trijicon. Honestly for the ranges we hunt a 640 while neat doesn't do anything to help you kill more. When we are out rolling in the truck we can cover about 500 acres an hour in the pastures and we spot and positively ID game at the same distances. If you are ok dropping big coin on a Triji you won't regret it, but for what it sounds like you are doing it's not necessary. Our average shot here is under 50 yards and heck part of the fun is seeing how close you can get to a hog b/f he spooks then just turn their lights out! My record is somewhere under 15 yards so much fun. My longest was a shade under 200 I rolled a fat sow racing b/t two heads last spring and that was rare....mostly well under 50. I will say though with ATN a friend in GA really regrets his Thor that has been having issues since maybe 5 months and he can't get warranty support for anything so while anecdotal just be careful with that. I had read ATN can be problematic with warranty and the one guy I know with an ATN is ready to pull his hair out.
    Last edited by sasquatchoslav; 10-23-18 at 16:23.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Update- I decided on the Pulsar Trail XQ38. Have not been hunting with it yet but have taken it outside and around the house to play with and get familiar with the controls etc.
    I also got the upgraded QD Return to zero mount which is smaller and lighter. The iphone app had some hitches but they've updated it and it works pretty good now. That is handy for another person to see exactly what you are seeing through the thermal on their phone.
    Would be nice to pick up a magnetic mount, remote gimbal to mount on roof or hood and drive around scouting that way.
    Battery life has been excellent so far.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeg26er View Post
    Update- I decided on the Pulsar Trail XQ38. Have not been hunting with it yet but have taken it outside and around the house to play with and get familiar with the controls etc.
    I also got the upgraded QD Return to zero mount which is smaller and lighter. The iphone app had some hitches but they've updated it and it works pretty good now. That is handy for another person to see exactly what you are seeing through the thermal on their phone.
    Would be nice to pick up a magnetic mount, remote gimbal to mount on roof or hood and drive around scouting that way.
    Battery life has been excellent so far.
    Yea not being able to see through glass it either requires you to pull into a field, get out and scan and get back in or be resolved to the fact you will miss some critters if running solo. If you can get a driver it's nice b/c you take turns and someone else is standing up in the back of the truck you can really cover a ton of land that way.