Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FN 509 Tactical RDS-ready pistol

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotDylan View Post
    Really like this. How does the 509 compare to the M&P 2.0, P10, and gen5 Glocks?
    It compares well. It’s such a subjective question. All those pistols you mentioned are great. I have all of the ones you mentioned. Glocks are not my favorite but another person will say they are his favorite. All modern day pistols are great. There is no magical better then the rest pistol. Go to a range and try the verious Guns you mentioned and see what you like. Pick the one for you and stick with it and train with it.
    Hunter of Gunmen 8541

Feedback Score
    -snip
    Last edited by Talon762; 10-07-21 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    I haven't shot the FN509, but I do think their FNS is a greatly underrated pistol. I like the grip, trigger and out of the box sights. It has been 100% reliable too. The only downside is the cost of magazines. They are more than HK Mags.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    I haven't shot the FN509, but I do think their FNS is a greatly underrated pistol. I like the grip, trigger and out of the box sights. It has been 100% reliable too. The only downside is the cost of magazines. They are more than HK Mags.
    They have to do something about their magazine cost if they want to be more popular with the masses. They are always coming out with new pistols that take totally different magazines. I have the FNP-9 and the FNP-40 (the FNX line takes a different magazine and then the FNS line comes out and takes yet another magazine), the FNP-45 and the FNP-45 Tactical, Then bought an FNX-45 Tactical which has different magazines than the FNP-45. No continuity at all. At least CZ, SIG and even H&K has some compatibility between different pistol lines. FN comes out with new lines and forgets their legacy models. FN has to be better about this.

I usually buy up to 10 magazines for every pistol i own. It gets to be expensive when you buy the magazines and then a couple of years later the manufacturer comes out with a very similar pistol which takes a totally different magazine. Of course their magazine prices don't help at all either.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    LAV just uploaded a video on the new 509:

ETA: Actually, it was uploaded a couple of days ago, but I somehow missed it until now.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 07-30-18 at 19:09.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    seems really nice and good price, could be a nice EDC for my wife.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Love me some FN rifles - pistols, not so much.
    This.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love FN rifles. I have a PS90 , and previously owned two other PS90s and a FN SCAR 16. And, I have read that the 509 is made better than the FNS... But.... After this thread, I would not buy an FN handgun again (I owned an FNP years ago) : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....roke-my-FNS-9L

Granted, the thread is 24 pages, but worth reading in its entirety...

There seems to be an issue on the FNS series on what the lifespan of the gun is, and the maintenance schedule (which FN won't release). And, they denied a warranty repair because the guy didn't follow a schedule of having the gun checked BY FN every 2k rounds. That is ridiculous!

As someone on that thread said:
    I realize this is not an actual maintenance schedule, but the FNS manual does say the gun should be checked by FN or a gunsmith every 2,000 rounds. Yeah, I know. That's what it says, though.
    Don't do that, and they can deny a warranty claim it seems. I don't know if this new Fn pistol is treated the same as the FNS series, but this is just pure ridiculous...

Another comment on the thread:

As I read that manual, with its horrible grammar and lack of punctuation, your pistol needs to be inspected by a certified armorer every 2,000 rounds OR every year. It does not say "whichever comes first." The BS about how your pistol is such a finely tuned machine that your neanderthal mind can't possibly comprehend the complexity, leading to its certain destruction if you do more than field strip pisses me off so badly that I would NEVER buy any FN product, EVER. Sure, you're not a certified armorer, and I'm sure it's more complex than a GLOCK, but, sure as a bear shits in the woods, I wouldn't own a pistol that I have to ship off to the mothership ON MY DIME every couple of weeks/months.

Feedback Score
    I got a chance to fondle one of these at a gun store last week. The grip is nice, the sights were good, the trigger felt good, all the controls were placed where they needed to be. I’d rather it came with three 17 round magazines with the option to buy the 24 rounders. FN mags are in the HK level of expensive but I wonder what percentage of gun owners consider mags as a wear/loss item and actually buy more than a couple extra if any?

Luckily for my marital bliss the store was not in my home state. After seeing FN’s lack of CS I’m doubly lucky.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    I love FN rifles. I have a PS90 , and previously owned two other PS90s and a FN SCAR 16. And, I have read that the 509 is made better than the FNS... But.... After this thread, I would not buy an FN handgun again (I owned an FNP years ago) : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....roke-my-FNS-9L

Granted, the thread is 24 pages, but worth reading in its entirety...

There seems to be an issue on the FNS series on what the lifespan of the gun is, and the maintenance schedule (which FN won't release). And, they denied a warranty repair because the guy didn't follow a schedule of having the gun checked BY FN every 2k rounds. That is ridiculous!

As someone on that thread said:

Don't do that, and they can deny a warranty claim it seems. I don't know if this new Fn pistol is treated the same as the FNS series, but this is just pure ridiculous...

Another comment on the thread:

No offense intended, but I think you and several other people in that thread are assuming a lot based on third and fourth hand information from what seems an admitted temperamental jerk.

He had fired the gun for over 16k rounds and the thing was filthy when he sent it in.

To get technical, you stating it has to be inspected by FN isn't true. They *suggest* you have it inspected by a qualified gunsmith or if you don't want to do that, send it in. Basic maintenance is common sense. If you abuse something by not taking care of it and demand free repairs, be prepared for a shock.

People basing buying decisions on an anecdotal case like this is silly but that's just me.
    Last edited by Waylander; 08-02-18 at 19:11.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast