Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's getting a little warm out . . .

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Ouch. I always liked the idea of Texas, but not a fan of the weather for 12 months of the year.

It hit 85 here today. WAY too hot. Tomorrow is supposed to have a high of 72, but the forecast is usually low, so it may hit 75. I'll have the a/c on.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    While I've never been to The Sandbox, I'll guarantee you that a 111 degree actual thermometer temp coupled with the HUMIDITY they have in TX (and most of the South for that matter) would be every bit as uncomfortable and potentially dangerous to the body.
    Probably more dangerous.

Heat alone you can hydrate for. Heat and humidity? Yikes.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Probably more dangerous.

Heat alone you can hydrate for. Heat and humidity? Yikes.
    I lived in McAllen, TX and it was HOT but the humidity was usually low. When I moved to Corpus Christi it had the heat plus high humidity. I left there 8 years ago but am breaking a sweat now just thinking about how miserable it was in the summer.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Moose, what part of Tejas you in? Are you near DFW?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Ouch. I always liked the idea of Texas, but not a fan of the weather for 12 months of the year.

It hit 85 here today. WAY too hot. Tomorrow is supposed to have a high of 72, but the forecast is usually low, so it may hit 75. I'll have the a/c on.
    I hear this all the time from fellow Ohioans, but then they bitch when its 20 F for 7 Mo straight.
    I’d deal with 2 Mo of heat instead, but its not time yet... and Ill have you know, 85 is the Ideal temp for swimming and all other coastal things.

110 and Humid is brutal though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Central Texas here;
    My neighbor just cut his grass on what must be nearly the lowest possible setting. He no longer has a yard, but the dirt kind of looks unique.
    He aint from around here.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    Tis balmy.
    You never spent time in Iraq or Saudi, have you?
    Hey all I said was it was getting a little warm out.

The hottest temperature ever in Texas was 120° F recorded in Seymour, TX in August 1936 and Monahans TX in June 1994.

Heat index and wind chill are a very real thing and what I go by since it's what you are actually dealing with in a given area. The "offical" temp and rain fall for the region are never what I actually get in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    Shit, on the other side of the spectrum, the coldest I ever felt was -42 C with a 41knt wind. -58 wind chill iirc.
    Be still my heart!

Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I'll guarantee you that a 111 degree actual thermometer temp coupled with the HUMIDITY they have in TX (and most of the South for that matter) would be every bit as uncomfortable and potentially dangerous to the body.
    Texas has the honor of being a Southwest state and a Gulf state so depending on where you are at not only do get the sun and heat but you get the cursed humidity.

It's the humidity that try my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Global warming.
    I no shit wished I lived at one of the poles right about now as there is only so much clothing you can take off and even if you get naked you're not going to get any cooler . . .

Last edited by Moose-Knuckle; 07-29-18 at 06:43.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Austin's 5 day forecast:

Friday July 20 H 105 L 76 Sunny 0% Chance of rain

Saturday July 21 H 106 L 77 Mostly Sunny 10% Chance of rain

Sunday July 22 H 107 L 79 Partly Cloudy 10% Chance of rain

Monday July 23 H 109 L 81 Mostly Sunny 0% Chance of rain

Tuesday July 24 H 99 L 77 Mostly Cloudy 0% Chance of rain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post

I f-in LOVE Texas. Been ALL OVER the place, top to bottom, corner to corner..freakin love it and the people. Id have long ago moved there- BUT ITS TOO DAMNED HOT.
    Round about '96,'97 or so..I was OTR driving with my first company..SHYSTER INC..anyway, got a load out to Laredo, which I always loved. But, that summer was a terrible drought, hundreds died and cattle couldnt stay alive. There wasnt a green thing to be found almost, especially south TX. Well, I turned south outta San Antonio, and halfway to Laredo the temp outside was 129 DEGREES. I had all the air in truck,sleeper & cab, up full blast, and was sweating like hooker in church.
    As I was rollin on...I looked out in a field..and saw a Border Patrol agent IN FULL GEAR chasing 3 illegals. Man, I dont know how he could do it. I couldnt even roll down the window, was like an oven. Could not wait to get a load back out of there!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by austinN4 View Post
    Austin's 5 day forecast:

Friday July 20 H 105 L 76 Sunny 0% Chance of rain

Saturday July 21 H 106 L 77 Mostly Sunny 10% Chance of rain

Sunday July 22 H 107 L 79 Partly Cloudy 10% Chance of rain

Monday July 23 H 109 L 81 Mostly Sunny 0% Chance of rain

Tuesday July 24 H 99 L 77 Mostly Cloudy 0% Chance of rain
    What is the humidity %? It's been in the 60+ to 70+ % here this summer, with temps usually in the low to mid 90's. Downright miserable. I feel for you guys as another 10 degrees would only make the suck factor even higher!

About 10 or so years ago we had a stretch in August here in TN where the temps reached 100 or more just about every day. The first few days were miserable but then the humidity basically burned off (it didn't rain but maybe once the whole time) but I didn't have to mow my yard! It actually became somewhat tolerable with the humidity lower.

The humidity is what gets to me more than the air temp. Not saying 120 or 130 Baghdad temps wouldn't suck balls but the feeling like you're standing in a hot, steamy shower blows!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast