Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's getting a little warm out . . .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I f-in LOVE Texas. Been ALL OVER the place, top to bottom, corner to corner..freakin love it and the people. Id have long ago moved there- BUT ITS TOO DAMNED HOT.
    Round about '96,'97 or so..I was OTR driving with my first company..SHYSTER INC..anyway, got a load out to Laredo, which I always loved. But, that summer was a terrible drought, hundreds died and cattle couldnt stay alive. There wasnt a green thing to be found almost, especially south TX. Well, I turned south outta San Antonio, and halfway to Laredo the temp outside was 129 DEGREES. I had all the air in truck,sleeper & cab, up full blast, and was sweating like hooker in church.
    As I was rollin on...I looked out in a field..and saw a Border Patrol agent IN FULL GEAR chasing 3 illegals. Man, I dont know how he could do it. I couldnt even roll down the window, was like an oven. Could not wait to get a load back out of there!
    Step out into that weather for a few minutes and you get used to it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    What is the humidity %? It's been in the 60+ to 70+ % here this summer, with temps usually in the low to mid 90's. Downright miserable. I feel for you guys as another 10 degrees would only make the suck factor even higher!

About 10 or so years ago we had a stretch in August here in TN where the temps reached 100 or more just about every day. The first few days were miserable but then the humidity basically burned off (it didn't rain but maybe once the whole time) but I didn't have to mow my yard! It actually became somewhat tolerable with the humidity lower.

The humidity is what gets to me more than the air temp. Not saying 120 or 130 Baghdad temps wouldn't suck balls but the feeling like you're standing in a hot, steamy shower blows!
    Those that have been there know...

It's often presumed that the middle east is hot and dry like Arizona. And when the north wind blows through Iraq it is like a blow torch and dry. However, when it isn't windy or the wind is blowing from the gulf, it is very humid. I remember being at Khobar Towers (just before it was bombed) and every night was high 90's to low 100's (at midnight!) and wait for it... foggy. Fog mixed with sand actually. All around the gulf, -Saudi, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait and etc, humidity is almost always from 70-90%.
    Worst day for me was late 90's...maybe 2000, I don't remember, I was in Manama Bahrain and it was officially 138* with 92% humidity. That was no joke. Flightline temp off the pavement was 185*. The tires on my truck were really soft. That day sucked hairy sweaty balls...literally. I spent ten summers in that area (desert shield/storm, southern and northern watch, Iraqi Freedom) so happy to never have to go back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    Those that have been there know...

It's often presumed that the middle east is hot and dry like Arizona. And when the north wind blows through Iraq it is like a blow torch and dry. However, when it isn't windy or the wind is blowing from the gulf, it is very humid. I remember being at Khobar Towers (just before it was bombed) and every night was high 90's to low 100's (at midnight!) and wait for it... foggy. Fog mixed with sand actually. All around the gulf, -Saudi, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait and etc, humidity is almost always from 70-90%.
    Worst day for me was late 90's...maybe 2000, I don't remember, I was in Manama Bahrain and it was officially 138* with 92% humidity. That was no joke. Flightline temp off the pavement was 185*. The tires on my truck were really soft. That day sucked hairy sweaty balls...literally. I spent ten summers in that area (desert shield/storm, southern and northern watch, Iraqi Freedom) so happy to never have to go back.
    My buddy did a year as a security contractor (then worked in an arms room the last few months) near Camp Doha. He said the same thing. Anywhere near the water and you got the dubious pleasure of high heat AND humidity.

Again, having not been there, I would wager that as you geographically distanced yourself from the Gulf (like Baghdad for instance) that the humidity would drop and the summer temps would be more like AZ on steroids.

I spent 3 years as a grunt in Panama so I know what high humidity feels like. Near the open spaces of our bases wasn't too awfully bad as there was usually a breeze blowing. But once you got out in the jungla where there was no air moving it was stifling. Out in "the field" the only time I dried out was at night, unless of course it was raining! During the day I was soaked from head to foot. My OD green jungle fatigues were dark green all day long from being soaked in sweat. The last month or so here in TN is starting to remind me of Panama, only in Panama it's year-round.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 07-21-18 at 08:47.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did my time at Howard AB...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We've had a relatively cool summer so far here in AZ. Not very many days above 115 so far and the Monsoons are here and bringing down the temps a little but also adding in humidity which sucks. Though starting Tuesday we are forcast to be about 116 to 117 for the rest of the week....
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    There are some humid areas away from the gulf, also. Ar Ramadi and Jalalabad come to mind.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    I did my time at Howard AB...
    Was right across the street at Kobbe. It no doubt got warm out on the flightline (single-filed across it numerous times rigged up for a jump and an engines-running onload) but out in the bush it sucked balls......sweaty balls as you said before!

One of the hottest, most uncomfortable AO's I've ever been in was SW Honduras. Terrain looked kinda like southern California but green enough and close enough to the Gulf of Fonseca that there was a lot of humidity with the heat. I recall having to dig a Four-Deuce mortar pit in that oven. As you headed further east into Honduras it became more jungled and mountainous.

In fact, that pic of me in my avatar is from that trip to Hondo. Hotter than Hell.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 07-21-18 at 12:19.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    What has always amazed me is that the very southern part of Iraq is at about the same latitude line as Jacksonville, FL, but the temps couldn't be further apart. So the length of Iraq runs well up into the latitude of the southeastern U.S., which doesn't get anywhere near as high of temperatures. Of course Arizona sits at about the same latitude and it does get into the 110+ temps regularly during the summer.

The rule of thumb that the closer you get to the Equator the hotter it gets, well, yes and no. Depends where on this planet you're talking about.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    We've had a relatively cool summer so far here in AZ. Not very many days above 115 so far and the Monsoons are here and bringing down the temps a little but also adding in humidity which sucks. Though starting Tuesday we are forcast to be about 116 to 117 for the rest of the week....
    Tell me about it. What really sucks ass is just how loooooong summer lasts here in AZ and when it is 115+, those 95 degree lows really mess with your head.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It's hitting 117 this week in AZ. And its monsoon season so its NOT a dry heat. Truly sufficating

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast