Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 19 - Factory Repair or Apex FRE

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Glock 19 - Factory Repair or Apex FRE

My cousin bought a used Gen 3 Glock 19 a while back and I finally shot it with him this weekend. One of his first comments was "it shoots well but I hate getting hit in the head with the brass." I told him that it is a well-known issue with some Glocks and that he can probably have it fixed under the warranty.

Here's the question, mailing it back to Glock overnight via Fedex or UPS will probably cost around $60, which is almost as much as the Apex FRE that is known to fix the problem. Would you recommend sending the gun back to Glock to potentially fix the problem, or buy the FRE and be done with it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post
    My cousin bought a used Gen 3 Glock 19 a while back and I finally shot it with him this weekend. One of his first comments was "it shoots well but I hate getting hit in the head with the brass." I told him that it is a well-known issue with some Glocks and that he can probably have it fixed under the warranty.

Here's the question, mailing it back to Glock overnight via Fedex or UPS will probably cost around $60, which is almost as much as the Apex FRE that is known to fix the problem. Would you recommend sending the gun back to Glock to potentially fix the problem, or buy the FRE and be done with it?
    I would recommend he try a 30274 ejector first. That seems to be a fix for a lot of folks. He'll need to take the ejector out of a Gen 4 ejector housing and replace his 336 with same. Easy to do and I've changed mine out except for a 26, which I understand may not benefit from this. Might be a simple fix and save a few dollars. I would definitely go with the Apex over paying $60 to ship it to Glock for another MIM extractor though.
    Last edited by brushy bill; 05-05-13 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    I've read stories of guns going back to Glock 3-4 times with no fix in site. Swap out the Ejector as said above. If that doesn't work Buy the Apex extractor. That should work. If it doesn't they extractor may have to be fitted. Apex was nice enough to do mine for me. And didn't cost me a dime. That finally fixed the problem.
    Last edited by morbidbattlecry; 05-05-13 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsa View Post

I swapped the OEM extractor for the Apex version and guess what....still got the BTF. I have no received the upgraded recoil spring from Glock as well as the 30274 ejector. I have yet to shoot this combo but hope it fixed the issue as I really enjoy the G19.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 05-05-13 at 15:17.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Send it back to GI.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by morbidbattlecry View Post
    I've read stories of guns going back to Glock 3-4 times with no fix in site. Swap out the Ejector as said above. If that doesn't work Buy the Apex extractor. That should work. If it doesn't they extractor may have to be fitted. Apex was nice enough to do mine for me. And didn't cost me a dime. That finally fixed the problem.
    Unfortunately, I've also read stories of people putting in an Apec FRE + upgraded extractor spring + plunger without affecting their BTF issue. In my case, it fixed the problem on my Gen 3 G19 completely. Frankly, I think I'd have more confidence in Apex working to resolve the issue than Glock, and that's the route I opted to go.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    The APEX FRE is not the end all fix. If it was my Gen 3 wouldn't be back at Glock right now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 30274 ejector is cheap enough, so I may go that route before advising him to send it back to Glock. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 30274 isn't an automatic fix. Often it takes a combination of different extractors, ejectors, and EDP bearings to find a better working solution. Ammo power is another key factor to the equation also. Mag spring tension is also a contributing factor.

There is no "silver bullet" fix.
    I'm a lead farmer motherf**ker! - Kurt Lazarus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
    The 30274 isn't an automatic fix. Often it takes a combination of different extractors, ejectors, and EDP bearings to find a better working solution. Ammo power is another key factor to the equation also. Mag spring tension is also a contributing factor.
    I agree that sometimes a combination of parts will fix it...in my case the Apex FRE with their extra-power spring, stock bearing, and the 30274 ejector did the trick. I didn't have to do any fitting as others had to do, nor did I have to resort to the non-LCI bearing.

As to ammo and mags, I'm of the opinion that since some (or most) of the G19's will run virtually all range ammo reliably then they all should. Likewise, standard magazines. If not, then the pistol is defective. Ammo and magazines aren't something I'm willing to compromise on.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast