Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Observations on SOCOM muzzle devices, and other QD MDs used with a suppressor

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Observations on SOCOM muzzle devices, and other QD MDs used with a suppressor

Will (Slippers) brought up a good point in another thread regarding differences in the Surefire SOCOM MDs. That is, that the muzzle brake and the flash hider have labyrinth seals and the warcomps and closed-tine FH do not. I don't think most people have noticed this.
    After using the closed-tine warcomp and CT FH, I have decided that they aren't good suppressor hosts because they don't seal as well as the brake or open FH. Not that the latter two seal wonderfully; they don't, and the SOCOM suppressors still get stuck. However, I have found the devices without the seals to be noticeably worse than those with the seals/rings.
    Additionally, I have found that the holes in the warcomps contribute considerably to the suppressor getting stuck after prolonged firing (approx 200rds or more without removing suppressor).
    I'm interested in the observations of others.

Also mentioned in the other thread was a question about blast baffles in the devices to act as sacrificial baffles for a suppressor. Each of the SOCOM-compatable devices has a restricted orifice (baffle) - including the FH. They are not open/unrestricted such as a NATO FH is. The brake is the only device that has more than one of these baffles.

**To me, QD means quick (a few seconds) detach and without tools, even (especially) after prolonged firing.**

Having used the SOCOM suppressors and mounts extensively I have determined that I don't care for them. They are not QD, even using oil/grease on the mating surfaces. I think there are better QD mounts available. The suppressor itself is durable but I don't consider it QD when I have to shoot it off with a blank (or live round).

I prefer the NT-4 and Griffin M4SD type mounts because they are repeatable and truly QD. The devices are short/same length as a NATO FH. The mechanism on the suppressor is relatively short as well. My experience shows they generally (not always) have more POI shift than the SOCOM set up, but not enough to be a problem. The QD benefit is well worth the trade. (Yes, Griffin makes some longer devices designed to bring a 14.5" barrel to 16+".)

I also have experience with the Dead Air Key-Mo QD devices and find them to be excellent. They have solid and repeatable lock-up, and actually are QD. I don't like how long the devices and mount are, but feel that's a small price to pay for the function.

I know there are other QD systems out there but I have little to no experience with them. I would particularly like input from hard users of the KAC QD mounts and suppressors.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    So...which SOCOM device offers the least problems with the suppressor getting stuck, and what is a "labyrinth seal"?

Asking for me.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    The circumferential rings around the MD about 1/3 from the rear. Only the brake and FH have them. I did not think they would make such a difference but after running CT (closed-tine) warcomps and a CT FH I see that I was wrong. I'm getting rid of the warcomps and CT FH I have.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    This hold true for open tine warcomps too? Or just the closed tine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I have not used the open tine warcomp, but they do not have the rings/seals. Also, I find the carbon and copper deposits left in the suppressor from the vent holes in a warcomp to be problematic. This is particularly so when switching suppressor hosts.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    How many rounds can you typically run through a Socom suppressor without getting stuck if you use the brake or FH?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This seems like a nice solution.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    This seems like a nice solution.

Q????

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I find as long as I don't switch hosts, it's not a huge issue to remove/reinstall surefire cans. I ran about 450 rounds through my scar 17 last weekend with socom 762 mini 2 mounted the entire time, and it has an open tine warcomp. It was a little difficult to remove - the can unlatched and the collar spun, but I had to twist it back and forth a bit to get it to slide off the mount.

By comparison the same can has been run on another rifle with an SF3P, and went 1000+ rounds over multiple shooting sessions without cleaning the muzzle device or mount.

Also, I find that it's not good to heavily lube the mount before use. It seems to contribute to carbon buildup since the temperatures get high enough to burn off the oil. Much like how you don't lube the gas regulator or piston in a scar.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    Also, I find the carbon and copper deposits left in the suppressor from the vent holes in a warcomp to be problematic.
    I believe this is what’s contributing to your issue and not the lack of any “seals”. Not even sure how they could seal anything being the same diameter as the base. Regardless, my Socom sticking problem has completely disappeared using silicone oil on the adapter mating surfaces.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast