Thread: BRT insert or adj Gas block

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

BRT insert or adj Gas block

I counted them up and I've had 17 different AR rifles and I've never really had a problem with one that was over, or under, gassed, until now.
    I took a new build out a few weeks ago and quickly discovered I had a seriously overpasses barrel. The barrel in question is a 16" mid-length RECCE barrel from High Caliber Sales. I contacted Kevin asking about the go size to which he responded .082" . It has very sharp and violent (for a 5.56) recoil, 1 O'clock ejection and very fast bolt cycling and corresponding feeding issues. I contacted Clint (BRT) and asked what I should do and he suggested a micro-tune gasblock but then I began to wonder about an adjustable gasblock.
    I don't shoot suppressed(yet) so would and adjustable have any pluses or minuses in correcting my issue? Would it do the same thing as a unit from BRT? Which, in your opinions, would be the better solution?
    Thanks
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

B Co 4th502nd Inf Reg. '86-'90. 11b
    B Co 3rd187th InfReg. '90-'94. 11b
    Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Insert:
    pros:
    - less expensive
    - less parts, no moving parts, so inherently less failure prone
    - the 'correct' size port for your use is pretty well established (0.076")
    cons:
    - only has one setting,
    - requires disassembly to change/adjust port diameter

Adj. gas block:
    pros:
    - infinitely adjustable, so tuneable to your conditions, upper, and load
    - can be adjusted w/o any disassembly
    cons:
    - More expensive
    - More small moving parts to potentially fail, or come out of adjustment, or get carbon frozen in place

Since you have so many guns/uppers, I'd just get the fixed insert. Once you get a suppressor, you can set up one or two guns for dedicated suppressed use with smaller gas port inserts.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My 16" BCM middie runs beautifully with mild Tula, PMC, and handloaded .223 through full power factory .556.

IMHO, no need for an adjustable unless you will be running a supressor or competing.

I installed one of Clint's ports in a badly overgassed 16" carbine and could not be more satisfied with the result.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 07-20-18 at 16:48.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    I counted them up and I've had 17 different AR rifles and I've never really had a problem with one that was over, or under, gassed, until now.
    I took a new build out a few weeks ago and quickly discovered I had a seriously overpasses barrel. The barrel in question is a 16" mid-length RECCE barrel from High Caliber Sales. I contacted Kevin asking about the go size to which he responded .082" . It has very sharp and violent (for a 5.56) recoil, 1 O'clock ejection and very fast bolt cycling and corresponding feeding issues. I contacted Clint (BRT) and asked what I should do and he suggested a micro-tune gasblock but then I began to wonder about an adjustable gasblock.
    I don't shoot suppressed(yet) so would and adjustable have any pluses or minuses in correcting my issue? Would it do the same thing as a unit from BRT? Which, in your opinions, would be the better solution?
    Thanks
    I use both and I like both. BRT is a simpler design. SLR adjustable gas block is easier to tune.

My experience has been that if you're using a carbine weight buffer, neither will do much good. Recoil with a carbine weight buffer will be sharp even with the gas set just right.

Do not try to tune your AR using ejection pattern. It isn't reliable. Use the lock back check method.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks for the opinions. I knew everyone would have one. I certainly didn't base this assessment based solely on the ejection pattern but with all of the other immediately noticed symptoms and taken as a whole and learning the go size knowing what it should be I can only say it's overpasses. I can't think of anything else.
    The rifle uses a Vltor A5 with the A2 buffer so I don't think that's the issue.
    This barrel does have the Ops Inc profile with the Ops Inc Mk12 brake and was hoping to finally get my suppressor soon so that's why I was asking about the differences (pros/cons) between the two and how to properly employ each and where.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

BCM 16" RECCE MK2 DkBrz, Custom Mk12 Mod1 built by Monty LeClair, 16" Middy w/ HCS RECCE barrel, A5, Young NM BCG, SSP, Geissele NM rail, Ops Inc., Super CH. 14.5" middy Noveske Afghan X3, 10.3" pistol DD barrell, Benelli M4, Ruger 10/22 w/Victor stock, GLOCK 17 Gen 4, Dan Wesson Valor Duty Coat, Dan Wesson Valor Blue, Dan Wesson Silverback 10mm, S&W 27 4"

Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillB View Post
    ...I certainly didn't base this assessment based solely on the ejection pattern...
    I only mention ejection pattern so you don't wind up driving yourself crazy using it to tune your AR when you get the BRT or the SLR. I've seen it attempted by... a friend...yeah, that's it...a friend...when he should have known better.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Oh yeah. Seriously, I appreciate the advice.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

Iron Rakkasans

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I’ve also used both on the same carbine, an 11.5” DD sbr.
    I use the analogy of the Showtime Rotisserie - “Just set it and forget it”. That’s the BRT. I would tell to have some kind of GB alignment system because one iota off and no joy.

The adjustable is as said. Adjustable. I’ve used both Wilson Combat and SLR. Both work, preferred the more positive click of the SLR. Except for my SPR I never was one of those guys to spend a lot of time fine tuning my SBR’s anyway. I did spend more time on my adjustable GB that was mounted on my SPR barrel.66
    I’ve also broken high temp RTV and built me a “GECR” (Gas Expulsion Channel-RTV) on the horseshoe of my CH, did that on a gassy LaRue 12” and loved shooting that thing. Wasn’t optimal, but it was a $4.99 fix.
    Oh and yeah I totally just made up that GECR acronym. I thought it had a nice ring to it. LOL

So in short you mention Ops 12 collar, I’m assuming you’ve got an SPR baycmaybe going with a Allen Engineering can or something like that. If an SPR I would probably go the adjustable GB route because for me I did spend more time fine tuning my SPR (as opposed to my SBR’s) in an attempt to soften it up looking for faster reacquisition.
    On my SBR I preferred the BRT. It made an immediate difference in how my SBR shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Nice to hear from you Robert. In fact I just ordered an SLR gas block jig just to make sure everything is exactly where it should be. Ordered yesterday. It was a little cheaper than the BRD jig. The BRD looks real nice though. I've got 4 Noveske Afghans that need dimples. I've built out 2 of them already without dimples, shot both, and they both functioned 100% through 200 rounds each so I must have done something right, but I have another new GB coming plus the one I have already and am thinking about either the adj or the black river unit so I thought go ahead and do it right, buy the jig and do it right. Peace of mind.
    Has anyone seen the gas tubes from BRT? The ones that restrict the gas ports like his GBs? That's different. Anyone use one???.
    I do have the Ops Inc brake and hope to get the can but that would probably be more for my Mk12 but could definitely use it on my RECCE too though.
    Thanks for your view.
    RealeyesRealizeRealLies

Iron Rakkasans