Thread: Questions For Youtube Content Creators- Starting Equipment and Programs

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Questions For Youtube Content Creators- Starting Equipment and Programs

I've kind of been waffling over whether I want to take the plunge into attempting a youtube channel. I *think* I have some good ideas for content.... I hope... but at the same time I can't really say I'm interested in investing a ton of $$ into something that isn't really a sure investment.
    So I guess the overall question is- what is the minimum I can get away with that I can produce at least a reasonable quality video with, without going overboard.
    I know we have a couple youtubers here, so maybe you can help.

Camera- I'm assuming I can probably get away with a Go-pro? My concern here is I don't want to get into something that's decent now, and worthless with the next wave of tech coming out in another year or two. I feel like a GP can shoot high enough res, and is something desirable beyond the standard camera market. At the same time... if I ever need to shoot video of myself doing something, I feel like a GP could be a problem, as there's no screen I can turn around and see myself on. Although frankly, I'm not sure I really see a need to self-shoot video right away....

Microphone- I've seen a lot of folks using the small clip-on types for field work. Recommends for good a version?
    However, I'm theorizing that most of me babbling would be voiceover work- and I see most "professional" youtubers using a larger mic with a pop filter. So...not sure what I "need" and what I can "get away with" for decent audio

Software- I'm sure at some point I'll have my own video material that may need to be edited. Currently I see a need for the ability to edit together second-party video and pictures/music together with a voice over, and maybe add in some demonstration video of my own. Pretty much think of any movie review you've seen where the video clips play and the person talks over them.
    What are my options performance and $$ wise here?
    More importantly, how serious of a computer am I going to need to run them?

I'm sure that's vague as hell, but any ideas/input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Jellybean; 07-28-18 at 15:06.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    On the cheap? I picked up this Canon R700 a year ago and it has excellent 1080 hd quality for the price. Also has a mic input if needed. Audio quality is excellent also. Around $260 shipped. The R800 may be better and cost less.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019UDIL80

I have a go-pro hero 3 and the canon excels it by a long shot.
    Last edited by jmp45; 07-28-18 at 16:13.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do the world a favor and provide a notes page on the content of your video. Even if people want to hear what you have to say, many don't want to watch an extended presentation to get the content.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب