Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to vltor a5

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Alternatives to vltor a5

Having spent the last week thouroghly pouring through all of the searchable threads concerning the A5, I noticed that two things are obvious:

1. Vltor A5 discussions peaked in 2016.
    2. Vltor A5 kit is hard to find and frequently out of stock.

Does anyone else besides BCM sell a conversion kit? This itself is not a perfect solution as BCM evidently does not include the correct buffer weight with the RE. I am using the A5 kit to replace the A2 stock on my 20" rifle. If I have to order parts one piece at a time to make this work so be it. Just trying to avoid paying a lot in different shipping fees. This has really been harder than anticipated...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Should add that I put this in technical section as it concerns putting together parts that may not be normally used together to mimic a well established product.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Just get on the notification lists of a few websites. Almost anything I own ends up with A5 guts, whether it be UBR or Vltor RE. It's a bit annoying at times, but if you don't have a case of "need it now", you won't have problems getting it. I usually just grab parts randomly when I'm getting other things I need from Midway.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    MidwayUSA has the receiver extension and buffers in stock Wednesday

You can use a buffer tube from LMT, the model for the MWS 308, the BCM or the VLTOR
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 07-20-18 at 19:52.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    If I have to order parts one piece at a time to make this work so be it. Just trying to avoid paying a lot in different shipping fees.
    This is what I do anyway now regardless of availability of the kits as neither have the parts I want.

The Vltor one is better than the BCM (which comes with a A5H0, where the Vltor comes with A5H2 buffer). If you buy stuff from Forward Controls they sell A5 buffers as well, between FCD, BCM or Magpul (for tubes), Brownells and Sprinco I've had good luck finding the parts I want, I bundle stuff together and/or order multiples to save on shipping
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    I have the Magpul Enhanced extension listed above and the BCM extension. Both work fine.

The Magpul has ten adjustments, the BCM has eight. So the Magpul offers more/finer LOP adjustments, but not much. I measured the web between the holes and came up with these measurements:

.355 - random 6 position carbine tube
    .210 - BCM 8 position
    .145 - Magpul 10 position

So the Magpul adjustment is roughly .065 (1/15ish) finer than the BCM. I say roughly because I did these right by the gun safe and the light wasn't optimal). I really can't say I've noticed any LOP difference.

I use Brownells CS rifle springs and sourced my A5 buffers through BCM as VLTOR was always out of stock. I use a A5H2 in my 16inch and an A5H3 in my SBR. I bought those based on forum searches, suppressed I'd probably be better off one higher in each rifle, but they function fine.

Good luck.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is all great advice. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just curious about stock choices. I have 4 collapsible stocks on my carbines (1 Roger's super stock, and 3 Magpul sls). For the 20" HB that is free floated with a DD Omega, what would be a good compliment stock? The rifle also has a Leupold telescope on it as well. I know that this really varies from person to person. I have never handled a vltor stock. But they do look robust!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently bought an intermediate (A5) RE from BCM, and from Sons of Liberty Gunworks I ordered an A5H4 buffer and Springco Green spring. The BCM part arrived within a couple days, but it's been about 2 weeks and I've received no word from SOLGW. I don't need it right away, but I'm a bit annoyed that SOLGW charged my card without shipping my order.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast