Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to vltor a5

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My experience is that Magpul and BCM have shipped fast on anything I've ordered from them. Since VLTOR is habitually out-of-stock I'd source from those vendors.

As for VLTOR, I'd guess good for them, apparently they are selling all they make.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    Having spent the last week thouroghly pouring through all of the searchable threads concerning the A5, I noticed that two things are obvious:

1. Vltor A5 discussions peaked in 2016.
    2. Vltor A5 kit is hard to find and frequently out of stock.

Does anyone else besides BCM sell a conversion kit? This itself is not a perfect solution as BCM evidently does not include the correct buffer weight with the RE. I am using the A5 kit to replace the A2 stock on my 20" rifle. If I have to order parts one piece at a time to make this work so be it. Just trying to avoid paying a lot in different shipping fees. This has really been harder than anticipated...
    There is NO correct buffer weight. BCM sells the weight that most rifles will run reliably with.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    There is NO correct buffer weight. BCM sells the weight that most rifles will run reliably with.
    But BCM includes the most useless buffer weight. Probably to compensate for crap ammo people shoot. But if they were basing the buffer weight off of their overgassed barrels they should include A5H3 buffers instead.

Not directed to you GH41... Fyi
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We love the A5 buffer system. But I'd honestly just run a carbine system with H2 if there were any difficulty sourcing the A5 components. If a gun is gassed right, the H2 carbine is just fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We love the A5 buffer system. But I'd honestly just run a carbine system with H2 if there were any difficulty sourcing the A5 components. If a gun is gassed right, the H2 carbine is just fine.
    Yea the carbine H2 works well for properly gassed guns. Still run that setup on a few cut down barrel guns.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 07-21-18 at 09:44.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There is NO correct buffer weight.
    My experience says otherwise. Carbine weight buffers are too light. H2, A5H2 and rifle buffers are just right. Anything heavier starts noticeably pushing the rifle as the action cycles.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    My experience says otherwise. Carbine weight buffers are too light. H2, A5H2 and rifle buffers are just right. Anything heavier starts noticeably pushing the rifle as the action cycles.
    Guess I should have said one size doesn't fit all. Vltor wouldn't make multiple weights if the A5H2.

Feedback Score
    Heavy buffers is a good source for A5 buffers. It's their item version but they are good to go. As mentioned earlier forward control designs usually had most parts in stock from my experience

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Guess I should have said one size doesn't fit all. Vltor wouldn't make multiple weights if the A5H2.
    I should have added that I'm talking about 223/5.56. I don't have experience with the other calibers. VLTOR makes buffers in a variety of weights because that's what the market will bear. But guess which A5 buffer sells out the quickest? A5H2.

I've had a chance to test a variety of buffers with an adjustable gas block upper, suppressed and unsuppressed. The sweet spot runs from H2 (carbine RE) to A5H2 (A5 RE) & Rifle.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I should have added that I'm talking about 223/5.56. I don't have experience with the other calibers. VLTOR makes buffers in a variety of weights because that's what the market will bear. But guess which A5 buffer sells out the quickest? A5H2.

I've had a chance to test a variety of buffers with an adjustable gas block upper, suppressed and unsuppressed. The sweet spot runs from H2 (carbine RE) to A5H2 (A5 RE) & Rifle.
    I don't disagree. I only have the A5 system in one rifle. I got it from Vltor and it shipped with the A5H2. Just for kicks I removed the tungsten weights and replaced them with aluminum weights I made. I couldn't tell the difference shooting 193. 16" BCM ULW upper with a pretty efficient brake on it. Maybe I am not smart enough to feel the difference. The only time I would buy the A5 system is if I was doing a new build. If I had an existing standard receiver extension on a rifle I'd throw a H2 in it and call it a day.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast