Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to vltor a5

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Pur-tungsten.com has tungsten buffer weights. Three for under $25. I think they are on sale right now too. This is cheaper than buying a new buffer, assuming you already have one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I will go ahead and back order the a5 kit from vltor with their a5h2 buffer. It should be worth the wait.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazykarl View Post
    I will go ahead and back order the a5 kit from vltor with their a5h2 buffer. It should be worth the wait.
    If you don't mind a Vltor stock as well, there are 5 black and 1 FDE available at the time of this post.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vltor-a...combo-kit.html
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Having never seen or handled a vltor stock, would you guys recommend it or suggest a different manufacturer?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    My two primary rifles have A5s but I have no real issues with my standard non-A5 setup of LMT REs / H2 / Springco on a couple of others.

Feedback Score
    The real "sweet spot" for a combination maximizes the time duration for the first .070" carrier travel (or so for most) WITH maximizing the time duration of bolt overtravel time to the case head during cycling. This assumes a combination that fully cycles in the second half of the action cycling sequence, lower tension springs at either L1 or L2 can suffer from that.
    For function, you obviously need to cycle the action fully, but what is less tended to are some actual timing events. There are a lot of benefits in delaying time unlocking and giving enough time for a magazine to properly present the case for feeding. Shorting either of these two events doesn't help reliability or durability. We want to find ourselves in a place that helps both MRBS and MRBF.
    Few combinations work exactly alike, so springs and masses can and do change for them. Using a rifle like/A5 action can put you in a better place as a baseline. Another action combination may "feel" better, cycle with less muzzle movement, etc.. that doesn't mean that you are in a place that prioritizes the benefits gained by more optimal timing of the action sequence.
    Sure, I've seen systems that feel extremely soft, smooth, and fast, but that doesn't mean they are optimal for a serious possible use.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Having never seen or handled a vltor stock, would you guys recommend it or suggest a different manufacturer?
    As far as the buffer tube......LMT makes a solid one. I like the SpringCo springs, VLTOR buffers.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Vltor makes a great stock, as do others. In the Vltor stock line up, the below is my favorite currently...

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    As far as the buffer tube......LMT makes a solid one. I like the SpringCo springs, VLTOR buffers.
    After running Sprinco springs for a long time, a few years ago I tried a flat spring and have used nothing but since. The SR-25/AR-10 length work great in the A5 RE. With an A5H2 buffer and flat spring I find the 5.56 platform has the largest operability window with respect to ammo, environmental conditions, cleanliness, lube, suppressed or non-suppressed. This is especially so of SBRs.
    Last edited by MQ105; 07-29-18 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    One of the issues with running the "green" spring that comes up over the conventional Colt rifle action spring is the L2 loading. The time duration in bolt over travel to the case head can drop quick. That's not in a place we want to be. With increased reciprocating mass the "green" spring can be okay with the A5H4, sometimes with the A5H3, but rarely if ever with the A5H2 or lighter.
    There are some gains possible with the Tubb .308 spring on an A5 action, but they can have their own list of issues.
    The Tubb .308 A5 combo can be another discussion altogether.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast