Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help Selecting a Barrel

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

Need Help Selecting a Barrel

I have received all of my items from the great Centurion Group Buy. I have some parts already purchased but for the first time ever, I am stuck on a barrel for this build.

Hers is what I have planned or already have for this build....

Centurion Lower, Upper receiver and 13" CMR handguard.
    Centurion BCG
    Colt Lower parts kit and Receiver Extension
    Geissele Super Tricon Trigger
    Geissele Airborne Charging Handle
    BCM Stock and Grip
    DD Fixed front sight
    KAC rear sight
    Trijicon MRO on Sphur mount
    Dead Air Sandman K suppressor and mount...

I have no clue what barrel to put on this build. I am leaning heavily toward a 14.5" middy of some type. I was also kicking around a Noveske Afghan barrel but I don't know if i want a stainless steel barrel that will be suppressed most of the time.

What are your thoughts?
    Price isn't much of a concern.
    I'd like to keep it light but the barrel must also support the suppressor without crazy POI shifts.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I’d go with a Centurion or Daniel Defense barrel.

I don’t see any good reason to use a stainless barrel on something with a 1X optic on it.

I’m using a Daniel Defense 16” governorships profile on a RECCE with an ATACR 1-8 and it’s plenty accurate for that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Cory, check out Faxon. I don't see any reason to not use a SS barrel with a suppressor. I ran that 10.5" SS barrel with a suppressor and the Binary trigger for awhile and it held up fine. I would suggest that you Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200 and go straight to the Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel, but it's not a middy.

The Faxon Gunner profile is a good choice. It tapers like a sporter weight barrel, putting mass at the chamber for better heat control and quick handling. There's a reason the sporter weight taper has been the most popular hunting rifle barrel profile for many decades.

14.5" SS Gunner-
    http://faxonfirearms.com/match-serie...lon-extension/

14.5" Gunner 4150 QPC, if you prefer. Costs less than the SS version. I replaced the 10.5" SS barrel with the 11.5" QPC barrel from PSA because it was cheap and I wanted the extra velocity. It too has held up well.
    http://faxonfirearms.com/14-5-gunner...ngth-4150-qpq/

Faxon used to have the option of selecting a matched bolt on the website. I didn't see it offered with either Gunner barrel. I don't know if they are no longer offering that service, but in my opinion, it helps precision and is worth doing. You might call them on the phone and see if you can still get a matched bolt with the barrel.

Plan on using an SLR adjustable gas block with the suppressor.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-21-18 at 10:39.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have and have had several Daniel Defense barrels.
    I think they are too over gassed for my application.
    I am not planning on using any adjustable gas block, the Sandman K is a 30 cal can and should be able to be tamed with an H or H2 buffer.
    I do like my Colt SOCOM barrel but it is not a middy, still not a definite no.
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Did you see this? No clue on the vendor.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...97#post2643697
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Did you see this? No clue on the vendor.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...97#post2643697
    I did see that!!!!
    Almost too good to be true!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I did see that!!!!
    Almost too good to be true!
    Right!! That's why I mentioned I no nothing of the vendor.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I have and have had several Daniel Defense barrels.
    I think they are too over gassed for my application.
    I am not planning on using any adjustable gas block, the Sandman K is a 30 cal can and should be able to be tamed with an H or H2 buffer.
    I do like my Colt SOCOM barrel but it is not a middy, still not a definite no.
    If you think DD is overgassed then you shouldn't get a faxon.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Why not a Centurion Barrel?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    If you think DD is overgassed then you shouldn't get a faxon.
    I have a Faxon 308 barrel that's quite gassy...

I have a DD 10.3" that is pretty over gassed. It's the only rifle that gets finicky when I suppress it.
    I have a DD 14.5 Mid that fails to lock back with 223 pressure ammo.
    I had a DD 12.5 on my M-16 that I shot out. I didn't think it was too over gassed, had no functioning issues but I replaced it with a Noveske 12.5 CHF and this thing shoot like a dream.
    I had a DD 11.5 and it was super smooth and I should have never sold that upper but money was tight.

So from my experience, DD is too unpredictable for me.
    Last edited by CoryCop25; 07-21-18 at 19:51.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast