Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help Selecting a Barrel

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigereye View Post
    Why not a Centurion Barrel?
    It's a carbine gas system, not a middy.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My bad. I was thinking of the Recce 14.5" but I missed you're using the MRO.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    No worries.
    I'm still open to anything.
    This rifle could potentially be a patrol rifle for work if they approve the SOP I wrote for them and allow personal owned patrol rifles. That's why I want to keep it light, accurate and simple.
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    I have received all of my items from the great Centurion Group Buy. I have some parts already purchased but for the first time ever, I am stuck on a barrel for this build.

Hers is what I have planned or already have for this build....

Centurion Lower, Upper receiver and 13" CMR handguard.
    Centurion BCG
    Colt Lower parts kit and Receiver Extension
    Geissele Super Tricon Trigger
    Geissele Airborne Charging Handle
    BCM Stock and Grip
    DD Fixed front sight
    KAC rear sight
    Trijicon MRO on Sphur mount
    Dead Air Sandman K suppressor and mount...

I have no clue what barrel to put on this build. I am leaning heavily toward a 14.5" middy of some type. I was also kicking around a Noveske Afghan barrel but I don't know if i want a stainless steel barrel that will be suppressed most of the time.

What are your thoughts?
    Price isn't much of a concern.
    I'd like to keep it light but the barrel must also support the suppressor without crazy POI shifts.
    I have an Noveske Afghan and like it very much. I run it suppressed 100% of the time. Ill take it out tomorrow and see how gassy it is. I don't remember it being gassy, but Ill check. It has an ACOG so Ill try some groups for shits and giggles and see how can do.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    First off, I readily admit I am a Green Mountain Barrel fanboi.

Keeping this mind from your OP:

Price isn't much of a concern.
    I'd like to keep it light but the barrel must also support the suppressor without crazy POI shifts.

This is a 14.5 mid-length: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m19-...6mm-midlength/ $177.00 5.56 mm, 1:7 twist, 14.5", 4150 steel, M4 Replacement barrel for mid length gas system, chrome line bore and chamber, button rifled, stress relieved, air gauged, drilled gas port hole, assembled with M4 extension, muzzle thread 1/2 x 28.

Although I don't have this exact barrel, I do have it's 16 mid-length cousin: http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m8-1...ystem-5-56-mm/

If you look at the pictures the profiles are the same except the 14.5 only has a little over 3.1 inches of the final profile versus a little over 4.6 for the 16 inch. I really haven't measured POI shift, I get on 2/3 IPSC plates at 200 yards with and without suppressor on this rifle.

It weighs 1.9 pounds so I imagine the 14.5 would go at about 1.6 or 1.7. It is a 1:8 twist so I can't speak to the 14.5's 1:7 twist accuracy.

I run the 10.5 inch little brother of these on my SBR - http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m26-...56mm-nato-1-7/ It is also a 1:7 and weighs 1.35 pounds, so I reckon 1.7 would be a close guess for the 14.5. (ETA - this is my HD rifle, I generally shoot it suppressed - Silencerco Omega - and honestly, I couldn't speak to poi shift with and without suppressor.

I'm really happy with the accuracy of all the GM barrels I have used - probably around a dozen.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-21-18 at 21:21.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have an Noveske Afghan and like it very much. I run it suppressed 100% of the time. Ill take it out tomorrow and see how gassy it is. I don't remember it being gassy, but Ill check. It has an ACOG so Ill try some groups for shits and giggles and see how can do.

PB
    Current Noveske midlengths are on the gassy side of port sizes, they run 0.081-0.082" on both 14.5" and 16". Faxon is about the same 0.080" for midlenth.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I shot my Noveske Afghan today and it shot lights out. Mark shot a .5 MOA group with out 62 grain BTHP and a sub MOA group with 77grain Nosler OTM's. Should be the other way around but fatigue is fatigue. I ran it out to 750 yards no problem starting at 100 yards.

Great barrel , buy with confidence. It wasn't too gassy either with a Sig Ti 556 QD can.

Build

Mur Upper
    Vltor A5 buffer
    Noveske barrel
    Geiselle rail
    Sig QD Ti 556 can
    BCM lower SSA trigger bla bla bla
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I shot my Noveske Afghan today and it shot lights out. Mark shot a .5 MOA group with out 62 grain BTHP and a sub MOA group with 77grain Nosler OTM's. Should be the other way around but fatigue is fatigue. I ran it out to 750 yards no problem starting at 100 yards.

Great barrel , buy with confidence. It wasn't too gassy either with a Sig Ti 556 QD can.

Build

Mur Upper
    Vltor A5 buffer
    Noveske barrel
    Geiselle rail
    Sig QD Ti 556 can
    BCM lower SSA trigger bla bla bla
    What year is your noveske from?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Personally I would skip 14.5" and go with a SIONICS 16" Midlength barrel.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I don't see a 15" midlength barrel on the Sionics site....

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast