Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help Selecting a Barrel

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I have recently been shooting a Noveske Afghan 14.5. I can’t BELIEVE how accurate it is proving to be!! Like, possibly my most accurate short of some Bartlein’s in a GAP-10 and my A.I.
    Mine is absolutely not over gassed, quite the opposite in fact. I’m running an A-5 system with a Springco spring, but just a normal Noveske gas block, no adjustable in this gun. My rifle is almost EXACTLY like PappaBear’s (great minds think alike). Mine is a Noveske Gen 2 lower, a Noveske branded Vltor upper (super awesome and stiff). Running a Geiselle MK 4 13” rail. Noveske has block, Noveske push pins, SSA-E trigger. Normally I shoot a NF NX8 1-8 or an ATACR 1-8 on it. For groups I put my S&B PMII 3-20 on it (from my GAP-10) Using a Harris bi-pod and a rear bag using Speer 75gr Gold Dots, the gun shot FIVE groups under 1moa at 100 yds. My best was .62 MOA. This was 5 groups, same day, same weather, etc. shooting 5 groups UNDER MOA using Bonded ammo is fantastic in my book. Given handloads, or even Gold Medal Match SMK’s 77gr, this Barrel May well be .5 MOA. I know with accuracy and precision we are looking at “what can it consistently do?” Not “what it did once.” This barrel/gun, did 5 groups Sub MOA on one day. I have barrels made by BCM (Criterion), Colt, Daniel Defense and a couple others. To me, only accurate rifles get to stay around. This Noveske has REALLY amazed me. It’s definitely the best mass produced barrel I own. I’m really liking it, and will definitely pursue more Noveske barrels.

One more thing: according to the seller of this barrel, it was much older. Brand new, but from back when John was still alive. When I spoke to Grant at Noveske, he confirmed the barrel sounded as described. MAYBE the gas ports were changed at some point, idk, but mine isn’t over gassed.
    Thats awesome Vegas, our guns are almost identical in build and my barrel is also the old variety. I bought it many years ago. Again, mine isn't gassy either. Great to hear yours is grouping with consistency.

Vicious CB, I just saw your question after re reading the thread, Im not sure what year but id guess about 4 years ago, maybe longer.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-04-18 at 15:46.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegasshooter View Post
    I have recently been shooting a Noveske Afghan 14.5. I can’t BELIEVE how accurate it is proving to be!! Like, possibly my most accurate short of some Bartlein’s in a GAP-10 and my A.I.
    Mine is absolutely not over gassed, quite the opposite in fact. I’m running an A-5 system with a Springco spring, but just a normal Noveske gas block, no adjustable in this gun. My rifle is almost EXACTLY like PappaBear’s (great minds think alike). Mine is a Noveske Gen 2 lower, a Noveske branded Vltor upper (super awesome and stiff). Running a Geiselle MK 4 13” rail. Noveske has block, Noveske push pins, SSA-E trigger. Normally I shoot a NF NX8 1-8 or an ATACR 1-8 on it. For groups I put my S&B PMII 3-20 on it (from my GAP-10) Using a Harris bi-pod and a rear bag using Speer 75gr Gold Dots, the gun shot FIVE groups under 1moa at 100 yds. My best was .62 MOA. This was 5 groups, same day, same weather, etc. shooting 5 groups UNDER MOA using Bonded ammo is fantastic in my book. Given handloads, or even Gold Medal Match SMK’s 77gr, this Barrel May well be .5 MOA. I know with accuracy and precision we are looking at “what can it consistently do?” Not “what it did once.” This barrel/gun, did 5 groups Sub MOA on one day. I have barrels made by BCM (Criterion), Colt, Daniel Defense and a couple others. To me, only accurate rifles get to stay around. This Noveske has REALLY amazed me. It’s definitely the best mass produced barrel I own. I’m really liking it, and will definitely pursue more Noveske barrels.

One more thing: according to the seller of this barrel, it was much older. Brand new, but from back when John was still alive. When I spoke to Grant at Noveske, he confirmed the barrel sounded as described. MAYBE the gas ports were changed at some point, idk, but mine isn’t over gassed.
    Is this the barrel being sold by Roach works on Gunbroker for $300? I was eyeing these barrels a few months ago but was told by Stickman that these were not as described. I believe the thread is in his forum section.

Thanks papabear. Trying to identify a cutoff date were noveske started taking a turn downhill. I covet my pre Johns death recon barrel so much that I won't run anything but 77gr smks or tmks. To me shootin anything else is a waste of barrel life.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Is this the barrel being sold by Roach works on Gunbroker for $300? I was eyeing these barrels a few months ago but was told by Stickman that these were not as described. I believe the thread is in his forum section.

Thanks papabear. Trying to identify a cutoff date were noveske started taking a turn downhill. I covet my pre Johns death recon barrel so much that I won't run anything but 77gr smks or tmks. To me shootin anything else is a waste of barrel life.
    No Sir, my Barrel was purchased off of TOS. The seller had it new in the plastic mesh. Had it a WHILE, just never built a gun around it. I don’t have that discipline.....I’ve built uppers around a Spare flash hider. �� hahahahaha.

I too only shoot top shelf ammo. Either MK262, or Speer Gold Dots. I won’t waste Barrel life on XM193. Not on that gun. That gun is the culmination of EVERY build I have done. It’s literally THE BEST parts (IMO) available. From Vltor Noveske upper, Noveske lower, Noveske marked Radian Raptor charging handle, etc.

I’m getting off topic though. The BARREL is an insane shooter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    First off, I readily admit I am a Green Mountain Barrel fanboi.

Keeping this mind from your OP:

. . .

Hope this helps.
    I would stay away from Green Mountain. Overgassed. Customer Service told me to pound pud when I inquired about why they chose their gas port size. Just wanted to balance the scale.

There are tons of Gucci barrel recommendations in this thread. I am jelly. I usually stick with BA Hanson barrels.
    I do have one LaRue Stealth barrel which feels overgassed, but I haven't tried to pull any accuracy tests out of it. The machining and finish was sublime tho.

Feedback Score
    Does Sionics use Green mountain blanks??

I like Green mountain and the gm8 midlength I have seems gassed similar to a BCM I have Wich is. 078 I believe. I think with gm they will sell overruns from companies they oem for so if they spec a .081 port in a midlength they will sell it. The owner posts on tos in their industry forum and seems like a good guy. He had done profiles just from people asking

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    To those who have been talking about DD barrels being overgassed: Yes there were several barrels that were overgassed in the past, but that really isn't the case any longer... ok, maybe other than their current 11.5 barrel (.076), that they are going to be changing come September (.069).

Their 14.5 middy is gassed wonderfully (.076). IIRC, it's .001-.002 smaller diameter than the BCM. Also, their 10.3" Mk18 barrels are indeed .070 Crane spec'd, just FYI. I'd give DD barrels some serious consideration, amongst a few others out there like BCM and Clint's barrels from BRT.

EDIT: Personally, I prefer Pinned gas blocks, not to derail the thread or start arguments, for anything serious use. That's just me. Hence DD barrels are normally my top choice, for a chrome lined 5.56 barrel. BRT barrels are looking darn good to me right now, as well...

Hmm, I was looking at DD for their 11.5in. If this is true about the reduced gas port coming, I will hold off a bit for my purchase. Can you let us know if/when you find out that it has happened?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post

Pre-2010, based on my experience. I dunno how far before then, but the oldest one I owned was a 2010, so sometime before that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    To those who have been talking about DD barrels being overgassed: Yes there were several barrels that were overgassed in the past, but that really isn't the case any longer... ok, maybe other than their current 11.5 barrel (.076), that they are going to be changing come September (.069).

Their 14.5 middy is gassed wonderfully (.076). IIRC, it's .001-.002 smaller diameter than the BCM. Also, their 10.3" Mk18 barrels are indeed .070 Crane spec'd, just FYI. I'd give DD barrels some serious consideration, amongst a few others out there like BCM and Clint's barrels from BRT.

EDIT: Personally, I prefer Pinned gas blocks, not to derail the thread or start arguments, for anything serious use. That's just me. Hence DD barrels are normally my top choice, for a chrome lined 5.56 barrel. BRT barrels are looking darn good to me right now, as well...

How do you know they are changing the 11.5” barrel to .069” ?

This is exactly what I want.

My two others are .076 and are over gassed.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Yes, do look at Faxon. I used on of their pencil barrel and love it. They have a large variety of weights and lengths at the right price.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    How do you know they are changing the 11.5” barrel to .069” ?

This is exactly what I want.

My two others are .076 and are over gassed.
    Very interesting, if they are. It seems like DD is getting more and more in line with the military and certain programs, and leaving behind "We want Fudds to run steel-case without warranty calls!"

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast