Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What upper receiver holding block?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    What is the difference between the Guyslee Reaction rod and super reaction rod? Done a bunch of lowers, but looking at getting into uppers, since I never find exactly what I want, with all the options out there.
    If I had to choose between the two I would get the Midwest Industries URR.

The Geissele brass wedge system is a pain to set up correctly, and the two screws that hold the brass wedges in place don't last long. Once the hex slots in the screws round out all you have is a standard Reaction Rod, which leaves you open to the not rare enough possibility of shearing the indexing pin and damaging the indexing pin slot on the upper receiver.

The MI URR is as quick and easy to use as the standard Reaction Rod, and at the same time supports the upper better than the Super Reaction Rod.

So again, go with either the MI Upper Receiver Rod, 2UniqueLLC barreling jig or the Windham Weaponry barreling jig.

For the Price the MI URR is the way to go.
    Last edited by 556Cliff; 01-30-19 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Bev block is a good "budget" tool for an infrequent builder or modifier. It works for both the upper and lower assembly. If you are going to be doing a large quantity get the Midwest at a minimum; Geissele SRR and Reaction Block at the maximum.

As always either metal or wood barrel blocks padded with leather and rosin for anti-slip to install muzzle devices if torquing is recommended by the manufacturer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    Bev block is a good "budget" tool for an infrequent builder or modifier. It works for both the upper and lower assembly. If you are going to be doing a large quantity get the Midwest at a minimum; Geissele SRR and Reaction Block at the maximum.

As always either metal or wood barrel blocks padded with leather and rosin for anti-slip to install muzzle devices if torquing is recommended by the manufacturer.
    I mostly agree with you, but how is the Geissele SRR superior to the MI URR? I would argue that if you were going to be doing a maximum amount of builds that it would be wise to use either the MI URR, or better yet the 2Unique jig or even better still the Windham Weaponry Jig.

I have all of these tools and the Geissele Reaction Rod isn't better in any way.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Don't misunderstand, the URR is a phenomenal tool for those doing a huge number of builds but having used the SRR as well I like the index off the ejection port opening. Different strokes and all.

Feedback Score
    I got the MI-URR. Why is there a hole in the front and back face of it? The barrel extension mating end seems to have something in the hole.

Thanks
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I got the MI-URR. Why is there a hole in the front and back face of it? The barrel extension mating end seems to have something in the hole.

Thanks
    It's probably just metal shavings/grease. I figured that those little holes were mounting points from when it was in the lathe.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123