Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LMT SPM16

Feedback Score

LMT SPM16

These are on sale for $900 at Recoil Gunworks. I haven't been able to find too much info on them or on LMT in general. I know after years on various forums that LMT generally is well thought of as an "upper tier" brand. What says M4Carbine on these? Solid deal at $900?

https://www.recoilgunworks.com/spm16...e-p-40510.html

Feedback Score
    LMT has a pretty good rep, but they seem comparatively hard to find. That seems like a good price for an in-stock LMT weapon.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Would be a solid base gun. Very solid. LMT has never made Sporter trash guns. I dont expect they started now. Just tipping their toes in the over-crowded m4 market. And you cant come in at $1,300 anymore. Colt lowered the price bar on base guns.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Is it a solid gun for that price? Maybe. Here is my experience with multiple LMT products, including two of these rifles. For me LMT has never been hard to find. These rifles have a SA BCG and a standard buffer. I think they use straight pins on the front sight, not tapered. In my repeated requests over the years via telephone, email and in person at SHOT, I have asked them why they equip their rifles in this configuration. Specifically, I wanted to know if via their testing, they had determined that their set up was the most reliable as opposed to a FA BCG and H buffer. Remember, these are the weapons they were selling to Police etc some time back. The only answer I received was, "That's how we do it." As IG pointed out, it is to save money. On both of my LMT rifles, the staking on the gas keys were substandard in my opinion, but they are LMT, so it must be good--or so I thought. I had one at each of my homes as my goto HD gun. Each gun has at most, maybe 900 rounds through each rifle.

Whenever they are shot, I then clean, inspect and lube. The gas key came loose. The gas key screws were turning. I called LMT and after numerous messages, I finally spoke to someone who told me it was a "field fix and just tighten the screws and hit it with a hammer and a screwdriver." When I asked him about proper torque and checking for a sheered screw and proper staking, he again said it was a field fix. I have the proper replacement parts and tools so I fixed it myself and staked the keys with the proper tool. If this was someones gun who wasn't an AR15 guy with the proper knowledge and tools, they could have taken it to a gunsmith.

I bought a complete LMT lower. The bolt catch was loose, as if there was no spring under the plunger. When I removed the bolt catch the plunger was stuck down in the recess. You could see where someone had been scraping off the finish, down to bare alum, trying to get it out. I guess they figured no one would notice. It took me three hours of using every trick I knew of to get it out. I called LMT and left a message. I got a return call just after I got it out. They could have cared less. They didn't even want to know who's initials were on the quality card that assembled it. They then tried to blame the gun store.??? Never an apology, just an arrogant attitude. His closing remark was ,"We are LMT and we make mistakes."

Hence, in conclusion, this is my very limited experience with LMT. I would recommend a 6920 over the LMT based on the buffer and BCG alone. I still have both of my LMT's, however the HD role is via Sionics. I do buy, use and build LMT stripped lowers and have never had an issue, but I do measure and test fit all parts before I begin a build. I buy them on sale for $99.

YMMV

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Stack of LMTs with thousands of rounds of 5.56 each, no problems.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have three complete LMT’s a mid length and two SBR’s they’ve been great. I had an issue with a trigger firing on reset. I called, sent it back, it was fixed and returned quickly. That was about 8 years ago. The people I spoke to were awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mine has been an absolute dream for 10 years on now...thats an UNREAL bargain....GET IT.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc View Post
    Is it a solid gun for that price? Maybe. Here is my experience with multiple LMT products, including two of these rifles. For me LMT has never been hard to find. These rifles have a SA BCG and a standard buffer. I think they use straight pins on the front sight, not tapered. In my repeated requests over the years via telephone, email and in person at SHOT, I have asked them why they equip their rifles in this configuration. Specifically, I wanted to know if via their testing, they had determined that their set up was the most reliable as opposed to a FA BCG and H buffer. Remember, these are the weapons they were selling to Police etc some time back. The only answer I received was, "That's how we do it." As IG pointed out, it is to save money. On both of my LMT rifles, the staking on the gas keys were substandard in my opinion, but they are LMT, so it must be good--or so I thought. I had one at each of my homes as my goto HD gun. Each gun has at most, maybe 900 rounds through each rifle.

Whenever they are shot, I then clean, inspect and lube. The gas key came loose. The gas key screws were turning. I called LMT and after numerous messages, I finally spoke to someone who told me it was a "field fix and just tighten the screws and hit it with a hammer and a screwdriver." When I asked him about proper torque and checking for a sheered screw and proper staking, he again said it was a field fix. I have the proper replacement parts and tools so I fixed it myself and staked the keys with the proper tool. If this was someones gun who wasn't an AR15 guy with the proper knowledge and tools, they could have taken it to a gunsmith.

I bought a complete LMT lower. The bolt catch was loose, as if there was no spring under the plunger. When I removed the bolt catch the plunger was stuck down in the recess. You could see where someone had been scraping off the finish, down to bare alum, trying to get it out. I guess they figured no one would notice. It took me three hours of using every trick I knew of to get it out. I called LMT and left a message. I got a return call just after I got it out. They could have cared less. They didn't even want to know who's initials were on the quality card that assembled it. They then tried to blame the gun store.??? Never an apology, just an arrogant attitude. His closing remark was ,"We are LMT and we make mistakes."

Hence, in conclusion, this is my very limited experience with LMT. I would recommend a 6920 over the LMT based on the buffer and BCG alone. I still have both of my LMT's, however the HD role is via Sionics. I do buy, use and build LMT stripped lowers and have never had an issue, but I do measure and test fit all parts before I begin a build. I buy them on sale for $99.

YMMV

Cheers, Steve
    Wow, that's pretty crappy. It is interesting that they use straight pins and didn't appear to stake the gas key well.

Feedback Score
    Just to be clear, the two rifles I have reflect the rifle you are asking about. I can't comment on other LMT models. I was pointing out that this model has the SA BCG and a standard buffer and mine have the straight pins. I have owned them for many years. Except for the gas key and staking they have been trouble free. Since I fixed the key and the staking they have been trouble free. I do run them with an H buffer. I stand by my comment reflecting the 6920. (I do own a 6920.) The price for the LMT is good, but if both the LMT and the colt were available at comparable prices, I would buy the colt. ( FA BCG and H buffer) If not, the LMT is a good choice at that price point with the caveat that you might want to check the staking and change the buffer.

Cheers, Steve

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    "With exacting attention to detail, we’ve added in superior reliability and knock-down power. "

Ummm... what, LMT?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast