Thread: display of NFA item in Non class 3 Dealer

Feedback Score

display of NFA item in Non class 3 Dealer

Was wandering through local store that handles my regular transfers that is not a Class 3 Dealer and Noticed a rifle with a suppressor on display.

I inquired how that was legal,

Employee's response..

It belongs to a fellow coworker.

Me is he here?

Employee ..
    NO he just leaves it here...

Me..

I'm pretty sure thats not allowed as it's not under his direct supervision..
    And a possible Felony..

Employee..
    Well he was in law enforcement for years, I pretty sure he know's the rules...

Me..
    Cops get arrest for stupid shit too,

My reason for asking is the Shop belongs to a friend of mine who live out of State and leave the operations to Local management.
    I would hate for the owner to lose his FFL.

1. A NFA item on display in a NON Class 3 Dealer

2. The Store is not on the NFA item owners, Trust or LLC

3. The Owner of Said NFA item leaves it unsupervised (As in he leaves it there on his day's off)

4. Store Employees in a NON Class 3 Dealer Can Physically handle a NFA without the actually owner of said item present

I'm currently trying to reach owner..

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Could be simpler than that. Maybe one of his coworkers is on his trust. I added my Father for the same reason, so I could leave my NFA stuff at his house with him when necessary.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not to be a dick... but that's not your problem.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not to be a dick... but that's not your problem.
    I would agree until he stated the owner is a personal friend. I would just make sure he knows and checks the law.
    Sure it wasnt a fake or trainer suppressor?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I would agree until he stated the owner is a personal friend.
    Ah.. I missed that. Yeah.. an ATF audit would be problematic if the situation is as he posted.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Its amazing how mis understood NFA is with so many good folks, including LEO. Watch out for your amigo, but there could be other circumstances.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply's can't reach him by cell so I'm guessing he's out of the country.

He's basically an absentee owner, I just don't want anything to happen due to shennagains by his retail employee's..

Feedback Score
    It's good to watch out for your friends. Let us know what he says when you get in touch with him.

LEO's don't always know the laws and can make the same gotcha mistakes as anyone else. Back when the Brady waiting period was in effect, I watched a sheriff perform an auction. One of the items was a pistol. When the auction was over, I was quite surprised when he simply handed the pistol to the winning bidder after he paid. No waiting period, no background check, nothing.