Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MeanArms PMAG 9mm conversion

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by deanq View Post
    FYI - They make the Stern adapter to take M&P magazines too (if that floats your boat). I don't own an M&P, but nteresting.
    2 M&P's. Just a 15-22AR, and a M&P Shield9 that is of course a single stack. Glockfanboi spoken here..............

Feedback Score
    I'd be willing to give it a try......I have two 9mm pcc's , one CMMG MK9 and a QC10 Glock...……...PCC is a ton of fun and low cost to shoot...…...I long gave up on trying to get the QC 10 Glock LRBHO to work reliably...….I spent the better part of a couple of years playing and tweaking with it trying to get it to work, almost like it would work with some mags, (factory Glock) and others it wouldn't work.....was not 100% reliable.....I took the parts off and bagged them...…..

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mmAR15 View Post
    I'd be willing to give it a try......I have two 9mm pcc's , one CMMG MK9 and a QC10 Glock...……...PCC is a ton of fun and low cost to shoot...…...I long gave up on trying to get the QC 10 Glock LRBHO to work reliably...….I spent the better part of a couple of years playing and tweaking with it trying to get it to work, almost like it would work with some mags, (factory Glock) and others it wouldn't work.....was not 100% reliable.....I took the parts off and bagged them...…..
    If it works like the PSA, and Matrix LRBHO it usually falls on the mag springs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    If it works like the PSA, and Matrix LRBHO it usually falls on the mag springs.
    I tried wolf extra power springs and they worked about 75% of the time....some new mags wouldn't work, I did take some of the Glock 33 round magazines and removed the plus 2 floor plate and replaced the springs with Wilson Combat extra power springs and had success ….but at the end of the day after two years of tweaking with it I gave up......There is just no guarantee you can pick up any magazine and it will work. I only used Factory Glock magazines...….in all my testing. I even bent the little tab on the lift lever as well....Its not a reliable design.....Spring tension on the follower has to be spot on, too many variables come into play. I even noticed some glock magazines lock in tighter than others....tolerances come into play as well..IMHO On the other hand the CMMG, which is of Colt design has work everytime with Metalform magazines, zero issues concerning LRBHO.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6mmAR15 View Post
    I had the same experience with my QC10. Just gave up in the end.

The Stern Defense Glock magwell has a much better LRBHO design and has worked fine for me so far with Glock and Magpul mags.

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For defense use? No, at least until it's been well vetted for a good amount of time. Having the feedramp and ejector floating on the mag may make it less reliable.

For a dedicated plinker? Probably not the best choice.

An SBR that you my want to run 9mm occasionally? Getting warmer.

Training is where this will have advantages. Same reload? Check. Same mag holders on your gear? Check.

I wish this was a dedicated $25-30 mag from the start.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I recently purchased three of these to try out on my just finished home built AR-9. I pulled three of my well used Gen2 Pmags as donors for the conversion. To date I have run 750 rounds through the gun using these mag guts without a single hiccup. Even the LRBHO has not failed to engage. The inserts show no signs of wear yet.

I see this as the best option yet as of right now, in time I may change my mind. But having the same standard lower and getting to use my regular size mags just out weighs all the other options, for me at least. It's a nice feature to have taking my kids out and letting them get familiar with the AR platform while getting to shoot steel at relatively closer distances.

I'll be checking back and keeping this updated as to round count and any problems that come up, but in the Mean (see what I did there, lol) time, I will be keeping an eye out for any sales that might pop up on these.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Any update from users of these?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    We purchased 8 of the Means mag conversion units, primarily to see if we were really going to be interested in, and more importantly USE a 9mm AR.
    In short order we discovered that the 9mm AR is a great training tool for a “real” AR, as well as being a superb HD gun in some applications.
    Additionally we were able to use these on the “Pistol Caliber Only” range when the rifle range was in use.
    Having the same lower/controls as the 5.56 guns was beneficial.
    They were also enjoyable as hell to shoot. The conversion unit was not reliable when shooting prone and using the mag as a monopod.
    Other than the prone malfunctions, there were no other issues.
    The ejector, made of plastic and part of the conversion unit was offputting and looked to be a potential wear issue through hard use.
    If memory serves, the conversion did not have “bolt lock back on empty mag” capability.

We then decided to try the Stern adapter that would allow use of Glock mags.
    That system functioned flawlessly and does have bolt lock back capability.
    The main downside was the mag release.
    The release on the Stern adapter is located on the bottom, port side and is actuated by pushing the button in/horizontally. The actual mag release button is deactivated with the adapter.
    This was a continual mindf@$k as we were habitually punching the actual mag release when under stress (drills, run and gun).
    I could see this posing a problem if this adapter were to be used as a training tool.
    It seems more appropriately an enjoyable range toy.

I have been using a Shield 9mm lower for several weeks that seems to address all of the problems listed above.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have the CMMG/ Means mag conversion for use with my CMMG 9mm Radial Delayed Blowback Upper and so far it has functioned flawlessly with my SBR lower.It has last round bolt hold open capability .
    From their website.
    "CMMG’s 9 AR Conversion is inserted in to a Gen 2 or Gen 3 Magpul PMAG. It seats into your AR15 mag-well and holds up to 30 rounds of 9mm ammunition. Its unique design allows it to feed any CMMG 9mm Radial Delayed Blowback upper receiver while maintaining last round bolt hold-open functionality."
    I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast