Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought used old school Rem 870 Wingmaster riot gun and have some questions

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Bought used old school Rem 870 Wingmaster riot gun and have some questions

I've been looking for a vintage Police type 870 for awhile and found this guy on Gunbroker. Looks like an old LE gun, but lacks any unit markings as far as I can tell- but does have a bunch of markings on the barrel including "CI" (which would indicate it was made in either 1976 or 1988), but also "K" on the left side and "M" and "REP" on the right with proof marks. It's parkerized, yet pretty much everywhere I look online says Wingmasters only came blued back then. It's been upgraded with the Flexitab bolt / lifter, but obviously much more recently than when it was made. Also has a Choate +2 extension, but finish wear looks like it's been on it for awhile. Also it doesn't say Magnum, yet it takes 3" shells- the barrel says to only use those in Magnum marked receivers, so I'm assuming the barrel isn't original.

Condition seems pretty good aside from some light rust/pitting on the left side of the receiver and some on the tube.

Can you guys tell me a little more about this guy?

PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That non-blued/parkerized finish is okay for a circa 1988 era 870.

Not sure if all 3 inch receivers were always marked Magnum. The receivers would be the same dimensions, the only difference being a 3 inch ejector and spring for the Magnum, and of course the barrel chambered for 3 inch.

Here is a link to a picture of the two ejectors and springs: https://www.google.com/search?client...eM_Aodhdmya7M:

The process to change the ejector involves removing the two rivets holding the ejector in place and then reinstalling two new rivets, a new ejector and spring and milling/filing the rivet heads flush with the receiver. Unless the receiver is refinished the rivet heads will be visible. Your shotgun shows no evidence of the rivets on the left side of the receiver.

There are several reasons why the shotgun might have a 3 inch chambered barrel on a 23/4 inch receiver - mass cleaning sometimes gets parts mixed up. Perhaps the original barrel was damaged, or maybe someone swapped a slug sighted barrel for the barrel on the shotgun.

Your shotgun shows wear on the magazine tube consistent with a long career in an upright shotgun rack.

If it isn't two much trouble, could you post a picture of the receiver with the action to the rear so I could see the ejector?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nice looking blaster.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    If it isn't two much trouble, could you post a picture of the receiver with the action to the rear so I could see the ejector?
    Thanks for all the help, I'm great on military stuff but shotguns not so much. Here's the ejector:

ETA: I tried a 3" slug and it cycles, locks up, and ejects just fine.
    Last edited by kaltesherz; 07-22-18 at 21:29.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That finger that is slipping into that slot on the barrel extension is pretty important - it keeps the barrel aligned properly. Make sure you check to ensure it is there when you clean.

I've probably replaced close to a dozen 870 ejectors, all of them because that end broke off.

It looks like you picture is pretty square on. From the looks of the ejector spring bump I'd say you do not have a 3 inch/Magnum ejector. You can check for sure by getting a fired 3 inch case, putting it in the chamber, closing the action and seeing if it will eject the fired case.

I'd leave it like it is unless for some reason you want to fire 3 inchers. I would take a scotch-brite pad and knock down the rust on the mag tube to ensure it doesn't bind/stick when you cycle the action. I just go ahead and use Slip EWL on the surfaces of mine.

The nice thing about that finish is it doesn't take much to prep it for coating if you want to do that.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Yes that is a 2-3/4 ejector and most 3” shells will hang up on ejection.

That looks like a nice, solid, 870.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It was advertised as a 2 3/4 and that's all I plan on shooting, so works for me. I appreciate all the info...

I only plan on getting rid of some of the rust with some 0000 steel wool, otherwise probably keep it as is. Love the parkerized and wood classic look. Now I just need some aviator sunglasses and a huge mustache...
    PRAISE THE FALLEN

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post

ETA: I tried a 3" slug and it cycles, locks up, and ejects just fine.
    I think the length of the fired empty is where you run in to problems with 3" shells used with 2-3/4" configured parts.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Sweet little blaster, everyone should own one. Every Wingmaster I've shot or cycled was pretty smooth, I hope your new toy treats you well.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    It was advertised as a 2 3/4 and that's all I plan on shooting, so works for me. I appreciate all the info...

I only plan on getting rid of some of the rust with some 0000 steel wool, otherwise probably keep it as is. Love the parkerized and wood classic look. Now I just need some aviator sunglasses and a huge mustache...
    Try a piece of soft wood like a match stick or as clothes pin first. Much less abrasive, but works 80% of the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast