Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potentially Dumb Vltor A5 Question (or I’m a genius)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Potentially Dumb Vltor A5 Question (or I’m a genius)

I’m about to finish a new lower build for a 16” mid-length upper. This lower has the Vltor A5 receiver extension but the A5H2 buffer (which I use for mid-length 16” guns) is out of stock EVERYWHERE. I have been on the “notify list” for several retailers for about a month and a half with no avail.

The weight for the A5H2 buffer is 5.3oz. The weight for a standard/carbine H3 buffer is 5.4oz. Can I run a standard buffer with the A5 buffer tube and rifle spring? Since the weights are the same I can’t see what difference the physical buffer would have on the system. Unless it’s physically preventing the BCG from travelling too far back.

Those smarter than me feel free to chime in!
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 07-24-18 at 19:39.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Potentially Dumb Vltor A5 Question (or I’m a genius)

Not sure if this answers your question or not - but you are not a genius and that is not a good idea.

I’ve made my own HX buffers by using weights from other buffers.

Do not use a carbine buffer in an A5 tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Try Heavybuffers.com, he makes A5-length buffers. I’ve only used 308 buffers from him, but they’ve been of excellent quality. Quick to answer questions, too.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Try Heavybuffers.com, he makes A5-length buffers. I’ve only used 308 buffers from him, but they’ve been of excellent quality. Quick to answer questions, too.
    I have used his A5 H3 buffers and am very satisfied.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have a A5H2 I can sell you that looks unfired. Its an original marked only as A5. I just weighed it on a postal scale at 5.4 oz.

Send me an IM if you want it.

EDIT: I may have some tungsten weights as well. You can make up to an A5H3 by adding 1 more weight. If you change all the weights to tungsten you will have an A5H4 WITHOUT the biasing spring inside. Not sure that makes a difference in semi-auto shooting.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 07-24-18 at 20:28.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The buffer functions as the bump stop and does limit the recoil travel.

A carbine buffer can be used, but only in conjunction with a spacer.

Failure to get this right will result in damage.
    Last edited by Clint; 07-24-18 at 20:42.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Unless it’s physically preventing the BCG from travelling too far
    It does. Don't use a carbine buffer in an A5 RE.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    I’m about to finish a new lower build for a 16” mid-length upper. This lower has the Vltor A5 receiver extension but the A5H2 buffer (which I use for mid-length 16” guns) is out of stock EVERYWHERE. I have been on the “notify list” for several retailers for about a month and a half with no avail.

The weight for the A5H2 buffer is 5.3oz. The weight for a standard/carbine H3 buffer is 5.4oz. Can I run a standard buffer with the A5 buffer tube and rifle spring? Since the weights are the same I can’t see what difference the physical buffer would have on the system. Unless it’s physically preventing the BCG from travelling too far back.

Those smarter than me feel free to chime in!
    An A5 buffer and a standard carbine buffer are different lengths. They AREN’T interchangeable, doing so will damage the gun.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This place shows it in stock with a spring, castle nut, and end plate.

http://molonlabeindustries.com/produ...uffer-kit.html

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Notes:

The A5 Receiver Extension Buffer Tube is just One Piece of the proprietary Vltor A5 Recoil System and MUST ONLY be used with a Vltor A5 Buffer and a Standard Rifle Length Buffer Spring. Attempting to use this A5 Buffer Tube with an AR-15 Carbine Length Buffer Spring and/or Any Other Type of Recoil Buffer (either carbine or rifle size) Will Result in Damage to the host firearm.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast