Thread: Using a trigger guard pin to pin a lo-pro gas block

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Using a trigger guard pin to pin a lo-pro gas block

Got a used BA barrel and BA lo-pro gas block and need to get a pin, to pin it to the barrel.

Read that the BA gb uses a 1/8” roll pin that is the same size as the trigger guard roll pin.

Before I try to find my spare trigger guard pin to check if it will fit, I tried to google if anyone used a trigger guard pin for their gb. My Google Fu came up with nothing.

Is a roll pin for the trigger guard okay for use with a gb? Or is a gb pin different to better handle the heat/temp?

If different, I’ll order a pin from BA.

(I could call BA but based on one person’s experience with BA, Ill get the correct answer here)

Tnx in advance!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    As long as you ream the hole to wear the pin stays, It'll be fine. I have some Adco abomination that has a role pin holding the block, and It's been fine.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    probably will not work. There are two types of pins often called roll pins - one is a c-spring pin like on the trigger guard, the other type is a coil spring (similar to a Geissele Super Gas block).
    Gas blocks from what I've seen are held in place by a coil spring. Size-wise it might work. It might even hold for a long time. But I don't think that would be 100% reliable for this purpose.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I think you're right. I've seen the Geissele coil spring. I think my Adco just has a plain roll pin.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I read about coil pins and taper pins....was wondering about that. The guy that mentioned a roll pin might have been using a coil pin but used the wrong terminology.

I’ll try to see if the tg pin fits out of curiosity and double check with BA

The barrel is for a range toy - not home use - so it doesn’t have to be 100% but it would really suck if my toy went down at the range. I’m neutered and only get 1 pass each month

Tnx!

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    You could always just do it right and pick up a BRT Gas Block Pin Kit - Coil Pin

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Taper pins are solid pins used for FSB installation:
    Use this: https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...%20fsb%202.htm
    To install this: https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15...base-f-750.htm
    (need a reamer as well to install taper pins)

I can't recall where or what manufacturer, but I have seen a picture online of a solid pin (one, not two) being used for a low profile gas block as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tim808 View Post
    Got a used BA barrel and BA lo-pro gas block and need to get a pin, to pin it to the barrel.

Read that the BA gb uses a 1/8” roll pin that is the same size as the trigger guard roll pin.

Before I try to find my spare trigger guard pin to check if it will fit, I tried to google if anyone used a trigger guard pin for their gb. My Google Fu came up with nothing.

Is a roll pin for the trigger guard okay for use with a gb? Or is a gb pin different to better handle the heat/temp?

If different, I’ll order a pin from BA.

(I could call BA but based on one person’s experience with BA, Ill get the correct answer here)

Tnx in advance!
    I think either would work. A slotted roll pin is not the wrong pin for the application, though.

The slotted spring/roll pin is best for situations with a static load, the coiled spring/roll pin is best for situations with a dynamic load. https://www.spirol.com/library/white...embly_Life.pdf

The gas block application would be more of a static load.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-25-18 at 15:57.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    26 inf - Tnx for the info the different types of pins!

I agree the roll pin will work but I noticed that the gas block makers include a coil pin...so I’ll go with a coil for peace of mind....and to support BRT :-)