Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Some hard truths about pistols (add yours)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Some hard truths about pistols (add yours)

1. The average person who actually conceals a pistol every day for defensive can NOT put 5 rds into 5 inches at 5 yds in 5 seconds from a cold start at the range. To say nothing of doing the same at 25 yds. (Doesn't make it useless of course)

2. The Russian PM Makarov pistol is generally more reliable than the Amerian Colt 1911a1.

3. You can shoot a BG once or 20 times with any service caliber, but if there is no major nervous system damage, he can still fight a while if he chooses to.
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-25-18 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

2. The Russian PM Makarov pistol is generally more reliable than the Amerian Colt 1911a1.

And a boatload of other pistols that supposedly have a sterling reputation.

3. No one can shoot a pistol as accurately as a rifle without a lot more practice than is necessary to get good with a rifle, at least in my experience.

4. A pistol is an emergency expedient; you should use it to fight your way back to your long gun.

5. Despite all the hype about fancy expanding bullets, +P power levels, and hi-tech ballistic materials, etc., it's still about shot placement.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    6. There is no perfect gun. They all have compromises. Some more than others.

Feedback Score
    6. If a reasonable trigger 3.5-6lb is holding you back, you need to dry fire more

7. 25yds is not long range.

8. Moving while shooting accurately and manipulating the gun is simple, but not easy- you need to practice this.

9. If you cant move athletically, you’re at a disadvantage (I recently discovered this).

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    10. "Perfect practice makes perfect".
    Work on what you suck at; distance/precision/positions (prone, barricade, kneeling/cover).
    Anyone can shoot fast/close.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    11. The single most important factor in the real usefulness of any pistol is the availability of a quality kydex holster in the exact configuration you need for your purposes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    13. Any handgun that is mechanically reliable on the range can fail if it is not used correctly in an emergency (e.g., limp wristing, body contact, pocket fire).
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    11. The single most important factor in the real usefulness of any pistol is the availability of a quality kydex holster in the exact configuration you need for your purposes.
    Took me a few guns to learn this!

And I still need one for a vz61! (More of a fun-gun but I'd still like a good holster for it)
    Last edited by Ron3; 07-25-18 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    11. In order to win a gunfight, remember the words of Wild Bill Hickok: "Take your time, Quickly." (I don't want to get into an argument about whether he actually said it or not, but it has been attributed to him).

12. Nothing on this Earth quite elicits the same feeling as you get from being shot at.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 07-25-18 at 10:26.

Feedback Score
    Good grief these are all excellent!!

(Why did I sell my Makarov many years ago?)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast