Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Some hard truths about pistols (add yours)

Feedback Score
    22. Staging and pinning the trigger does not increase accuracy, it ruins it (IME).

Feedback Score
    Owning a defensive handgun does not make you a gunfighter any more than owning a hammer makes you a carpenter. Owning the gun is just the first step; you need training and practice to become proficient with it.

Acquire a pistol with your chosen configuration of the controls and STICK TO IT. Owning multiple handguns with different controls invites confusion and hesitation under fire as you stumble to recall which pistol with what safeties you have in your hand.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    - Actually go shoot

- Cycle carry ammo

Once a month because you want to be known as "The Gun Guy" at work is not acceptable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    22. Staging and pinning the trigger does not increase accuracy, it ruins it (IME).
    Gotta ask a question here. I'm not familiar with that terminology. I know I sucked at shooting a Glock until I learned to pull through the take-up (fake first stage) while aligning the sights one last time), then letting the trigger break.

Not sure what "staging and pinning" the trigger means.

Feedback Score
    Put in range time when you feel good and the weather is nice. Also put in range time when you're sick, sleep deprived, feel like crap, it's too hot/cold/wet outside.
    "In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Gotta ask a question here. I'm not familiar with that terminology. I know I sucked at shooting a Glock until I learned to pull through the take-up (fake first stage) while aligning the sights one last time), then letting the trigger break.

Not sure what "staging and pinning" the trigger means.
    That’s prepping the trigger and isn’t generally an issue. Staging the trigger is more of an issue on DA guns where some people will pull through most of the trigger, check sight alignment and then hammer the rest of the trigger press when the sights look good, which usually results in the bullet going somewhere other than the intended aiming point.

Pinning the trigger is when one pins the trigger to the rear after the shot and doesn’t allow the trigger to reset during recoil. Hop on YouTube and watch some people shoot. You’ll hear “Bang...click” as they reset the trigger after the shot. This is a bad habit and slows you down when shooting at speed. Also makes people put WAYYY too much emphasis on “audible and tactile resets.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    23: An audible, tactile and short trigger reset isn’t nearly as important as people make it out to be.

Feedback Score
    A bigger bullet makes a bigger hole, but an accurate bullet makes an invisible soul.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    already handled.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    All the service calibers work about the same: .38 spl, .40, .45, 9mm, .357.

Anything more powerful than that, is likely counter-productive.

Anything smaller is iffy for penetration.

(This line of thinking will get you bullied off the Terminal Ballistics section).

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast