Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What color loctite for Glock front sight

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Blue has always been solid for me. I make sure and de-grease the threads of the screw and the sight body threads first, tho. Also the loctite works as a bonding agent between the slide mating surface and the sight body, if you use it liberally enough. It actually takes a little effort to knock the front sight out, after the screw is already removed.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    Blue has always been solid for me. I make sure and de-grease the threads of the screw and the sight body threads first, tho. Also the loctite works as a bonding agent between the slide mating surface and the sight body, if you use it liberally enough. It actually takes a little effort to knock the front sight out, after the screw is already removed.
    This...........I've probably used the above method on @50 sets, had one come loose in the last 15-20 years.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    I've used blue or red. I sometimes change my sights to different ones on my Glocks and blue is probably better for me.

Thanks to those with the Vibra-Tite recommendation, though, and I've just ordered some for some other firearms-related-issues (S&W revolver side-plate screws).

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Red high strength. It's a tiny screw, it doesn't take 650 degrees to remove. I've put probably close to 75 sets on and never have had a problem with them coming loose or removing them. I clean the screw, the slide and the inside threads with isopropyl alcohol several times. I also basically glue the blade to the slide and the screw and threads.

Dawson actually suggests red 262, I use 271 but they're pretty close. https://dawsonprecision.com/loctite-adhesive/

I put enough on the bottom of the sight to ensure a "wet edge" all the way around the blade and clean with a dry q-tip or rag and check for straight. I use no solvent around it wet. I place it level and let it cure overnight.

fullsizeoutput_19a by Michael Starmer, on Flickr

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I've used both and never had a problem with blue 242 coming loose, but I used red 262 on the last one for added measure. Using alcohol on the slide and screw is good prep, but I doubt I've been that thorough on all of mine and I still haven't had one secured with 242 come loose. The last set I installed was the Ameriglo "FBI contract" and the screw it came with was considerably shorter than the one on the factory GNS, so I used the longer screw, too.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I use red. Wipe threads off with 91% alcohol and nut with an alcohol saturated pipe cleaner. I put way more red than I need to fill any gaps.
    I use an electric soldering iron on the screw/nut to loosen it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I use the Blue Paste, like mortar on the post before putting it in hole then the same blue paste on the threads of screw. Use a q-tip to wipe away what oozes out.

The Blue paste dries to fill in the gaps between post and hole and they have never worked loose. If I remove the screw I need to tap the sights out of the slide with a punch, they are in there so good.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    From Joe Evans instructing the Glock armorers school. Small drop of blue on the side of the threads

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I must be the only one who didn’t use thread locker on several of my front night sights.
    All have remained fastened but this thread has me leaning toward reinstalling them with locker.
    'Evil Minds That Plot Destruction'

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airhasz View Post
    I must be the only one who didn’t use thread locker on several of my front night sights.
    All have remained fastened but this thread has me leaning toward reinstalling them with locker.
    I've legit had them come loose when not having applied thread locker compound, just FYI.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast