G&R Tactical
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My lever action defensive rife or "Cowboy assault rifle" if you will...

Feedback Score
    Depends on what state you go to. Some liberal states are pretty screwed up, and some of my travels will be taking me into Canada as well on my way to AK. Besides, cowboy guns are cool, and fun.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    A couple of 8 shot revolvers and a lever gun in 357 is not a force to be dismissed.

Iím not saying I am going to clean a few racks of plates and a couple of Texas stars and some poppers as quick as I would with a magazine Fed Carbine or semi auto pistols,
    And speeloader or moon clip reloads, let alone the lever gun reloads are not going to be on par,
    But You can be a force to conetend with.

I thought a pump would be faster than a lever gun, but all I have tried and the two I own just canít be worked as fast as a lever gun without getting some malfunctions.
    ďWhere weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.Ē

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Having grown up with a old 1916 Win 94 as the homeís first deer rifle and primary defense firearm, I have an affinity for lever guns for both woods and home. Although my current home defense rifle is a BCM middy, I also have a Marlin 1894 to go with my S&W M29 .44. Mainly for fun but also for camping. As you stated, I would feel very comfortable with just my lever gun for home defense. It filled that role in many homes for nearly a century.

My Marlin is pretty much stock with a Leupold 1.5-4x VX2 in a DeadNutz mount. Fortunately it is accurate with the same 240 gr handloads I favor for my revolver. And it really loves shooting a Hornady 240 gr XTP ammo.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. Johnís Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Update... Probably gonna get flamed for this... but I added a light to my .44mag Rossi 92. It's the Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 1 on a Haley Strategic Thorntail mount. In combination with the Romeo 5 already there, this should finish the gun off nicely.

I still retain the good balance, and one handed carry leverguns are famous for.

Streamlight must have known what I was gonna do. They include a perfect size set of little screws for mounting the switch on plastic or wood stocks.

I zip-tied the wire up so as not to have it resting on the barrel.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok that is not exactly what I think of when a lever action is mentioned. BUT, given your situation and reasoning it makes sense. Still reasonably light and balanced. Well thought out.

There is another thread about AR versus shotgun. I think the most important factor for SD is to use what you are most familiar with. Being able to run a firearm efficiently and smooth and accurately will give you a great advantage regardless of type or caliber. And keep practicing with you SD gun frequently to keep than muscle memory fresh.

The lever action can be a lot of fun to shoot so it makes frequent practice more likely. I donít think you need to shoot 200 rds every Range session either. But lots of snap shots, reloads, shooting at different size targets and shapes at various SD distances.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. Johnís Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    87 (97%)
    This thread is one of the reasons I love and support this forum more than any other.

With that said, what are every ones thoughts on a Bolt action 357 or 44 mag? Ruger 77/44 or 77/357 being setup to run in this same manner? Bolt guns are generally 50 state legal are they not? Or is it because it has a detachable magazine rule that out?
    Owner of JF Arms Company

JF ARMS COMPANY
    ONLINE RETAILER AND TRAINING COURSES
    www.jfarmsco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JFArmsCo View Post
    This thread is one of the reasons I love and support this forum more than any other.

With that said, what are every ones thoughts on a Bolt action 357 or 44 mag? Ruger 77/44 or 77/357 being setup to run in this same manner? Bolt guns are generally 50 state legal are they not? Or is it because it has a detachable magazine rule that out?
    A bolt gun would work. I think a lever is quicker to operate, but a detachable mag would be quicker to load. Also I can fit 10 rounds of .44 mag in my levergun. How many round mag are you talking? 10 or less should be legal everywhere, but not many bolt guns have 10 round capacity. (I miss my #4 MK 1)

Don't forget... leverguns are cowboy cool...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    87 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    A bolt gun would work. I think a lever is quicker to operate, but a detachable mag would be quicker to load. Also I can fit 10 rounds of .44 mag in my levergun. How many round mag are you talking? 10 or less should be legal everywhere, but not many bolt guns have 10 round capacity. (I miss my #4 MK 1)

Don't forget... leverguns are cowboy cool...
    I believe the 357 Ruger 77/357 is 5rd mag and I had a 77/44 before Indiana legalized actual rifles for deer and it was 4 round mags.

When comparing the 30/30 Marlin I have vs the 77/44 I had, I could run the 77/44 bolt much faster. Could be less recoil but that was just my experience.

Oh and I recently acquired a No 5 Enfield (“Jungle Carbine”). Maybe I’ll put some work into it and use that!
    Last edited by JFArmsCo; 05-19-19 at 07:23.
    Owner of JF Arms Company

JF ARMS COMPANY
    ONLINE RETAILER AND TRAINING COURSES
    www.jfarmsco.com

Feedback Score
    Feel like I need to step up my photography game.

"Gun on the floor" shots are boring...

Their dogs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123