Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My lever action defensive rife or "Cowboy assault rifle" if you will...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    If I had the time, and money, I'd suppress, and SBR mine too, but with no stamps, I don't have to worry about traveling with it.
    Thats solid logic. I probably won’t SBR if I buy another levergun.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    I am kind of a .357 Rifle freak and have about five rifles in that caliber. The Ruger 77/357 and my Marlin 1894CP are the two I like the best. Because the Marlin is almost irreplaceable right now, I take the Ruger out more often. I have also set up a very low key Marlin 336 JM with a 16" barrel for car travels and camping. It has all the range I need, plenty of power, and very rarely gets a second look. It anyone does ask about it, they seem to think that I am out with my great-grandfather's rifle for nostalgia. I love my AR's and use them when appropriate, but everyone should own a "on the down-low" rifle. The .30/30 really shines in this role, but the .357 has some good advantages as well. Here are some good thoughts from Veral Smith of LBT fame:

Veral's Book: "Jacked Performance With Cast bullets":

THIS is something Verryy Verryy practical ... and Extremely deadly!

Those 2 Antelope both dropped at 125 and 302 yards lazered w/ 1 round, each bullet through both shoulders/bones; complete shoot-through. This done with an old "pistol" cartridge. I've never seen a more Completely Efficient use of this cartridge. This System WORKS!

1. THE KEY to this whole system is casting the LBT 187 gr. WFN (Wide Flat Nose) gas check bullet ... Randy Garrett copied the exact bullet shape; his 540 gr. Hammerhead in .45-70 at 1550 fps. will shoot completely through an African Cape Buffalo and kill the one behind it.

If you DO NOT cast your own bullets at present, you CAN order this bullet from Cast Performance Bullets: --- HOWEVER: Cast Performance DOES NOT use LBT Lube, THEREFORE, users will run into pressure problems at lower temperatures and with lighter loads than when using LBT lube. Accuracy will not be as good either. Montana Bullet Works sells them lubed with LBT Commercial lube and they'll deliver top notch performance.

NO PROBLEM shooting clean through say 4 to 6 bad guys with this 187 gr. LBT bullet depending on circumstances, any bones hit, etc., as it has already shot lengthwise completely through Elk. This .357 Magnum system is in reality a "mini-mini Garret .45-70 type set up".

Research revealed:

** You DO NOT want this combo in a .44 Magnum because:

a. It would be about double the ammo weight And size ...and so you'd carry Easily Twice the .357 rounds.
    b. Not needed.
    c. Excessive recoil in a big way in this M94 configuration w/ 325gr+ gr. bullets. (Like an 8lb. 30/06).

** With this 187 gr. LBT bullet you get 8% to 20% less pressure at the same velocity/output as a jacketed bullet.

** In casting, use 10 lbs. wheelweights w/ 1 TBL. of high antimony shot -- water drop them.

** About 400% more penetration than a jacketed bullet in any realistic medium from live flesh to ballistic gelatin to wet saturated newspapers with inter-spaced bones.

** The LBT Stays nose-on with no yaw while traveling through flesh or liquid medium until it goes subsonic at the least.

** 25% tighter groups. 20% more wound cavitation.

** 80% less cost than jacketed bullets or better if you cast your own.

1. Approx. 17 grns. H-110 or 296 will yield about 1920 fps. in an 18" barrel. (Work up from maybe 16.5gr. or so).
    Use MAGNUM PISTOL primers and crimp the bullet.

2. .357 Mag. brass is Everywhere and cheap as dirt; everybody has it. Sometimes its free.

3. No bullets to buy; you cast your own (you will have to buy Hornady gas checks).

4. Recoil Wayyyy less than a .243/.22-250 and the report is QUIET QUIET QUIET.

5. At 17 grns. of H-110 (or 296), a can of powder goes a Lonnggg way -- 411 rounds.

6. The rounds are about Half the size, weight and maybe 1/5 the recoil of a .44 Mag. In a Grab N' Go you could Easily have over 300 rounds with you -- No Sweat, AND control your environment to easily beyond 350 yards.

7. You have a short, light, accurate, fast firing carbine holding 10 rounds w/ no recoil-induced bullet back-out problems in a spring cushioned magazine tube. You DO WANT the Marlin Model 94 as it will reliably feed this bullet, and you can clean it from the breech. It will weigh 8 lbs. fully loaded with Scoutscope mounted, OR, you can mount say a Burris Fullfield II Riflescope 2X-7X.

8. Compare this .35 caliber bullet, shape, weight, velocity, penetration, recoil, cost, and effectiveness against say a .30-30.

9. I would guess that Most of today's shooters/hunters/riflemen have Very Little idea of what can be accomplished with lead bullet technology similar to what was used 2 centuries ago. You look around and you don't see any more Buffalo wandering about.

10. THIS IS A SERIOUS, DEADLY, EFFICIENT, ALL-ROUND SYSTEM!

You could employ this carbine system say to a town's population of females from young girls 10 years of age on up, (even young girls will LOVE shooting this rifle) who have been taught only basic Riflecraft and Mindset... and have an unbelievable force to be reckoned with. It is an AWESOME combination for either hunting, or, for urban warfare if needed.

It is unbelievably deadly and it is accurate, zilch recoil and QUIET QUIET QUIET. This combination has shot lengthwise completely through Elk up in Idaho; this bullet is the KEY to this combination to be able to have such capabilities. The bullet Ballistic Coefficient is .187, the B.C. being run as a G-1 drag model.

You can easily be effective to 300 yards with this combination, and it looks plebeian and Totally Innocent. 10 rounds of this as fast as you need to shoot and as fast as you can work that lever and shoot...its Fast!

THIS SYSTEM WORKS!!

11. All of this, in a simple "innocent, plebeian, ho-hum" looking piece at an inexpensive price that is "legal" even in places like the Peoples Republik of New Jersey or California.
    Interesting to say the least...is your Marlin a conventional rifled or microgroove barrel?

Feedback Score
    Nice Rossi, my 20 inch blued R92 is a keeper as well. Lots of lever love here!

Feedback Score
    Hadn't thot' about Marlin 'micro-groove' rifling in a long time. Mine has always been fed jackets.
    The .45 Colts all get lead, but then they are Winchesters.
    Moon
    ETA- Live in a currently free state, but wouldn't feel too badly armed with a lever, push come to shove.
    M
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 10-14-20 at 10:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Lever actions are no slouch and can certainly perform the home defense role just fine IMO.

Feedback Score
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Before we get too comfortable about retaining our lever and pump action firearms, it is my understanding that the Aussies banned virtually any sort of repeater. Our levers will be construed as 'assault weapons' as well if we don't act on Election Day.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Yep ... I've got quite a few Marlins but if I had to choose one for home defense it would be my 1894P shorty trapper in 44 Mag/44 Special loaded with 44 Special. It's so broken-in and I've popped so many pigs with it over the years using 44 Mag, that the 44 Specials almost feel like 22LR and I get two extra rounds in the tube to boot.

Still, my Virtus in 300 BLK 11.5" with the Lehigh Max Expansion 194 grain pills is my go-to in home defense pistol and once my Thunder Chicken is cleared it'll only be better.

I would not feel undergunned with the 1894P though. It's slicker than owl poop. I've actually been thinking about putting an enlarged loop lever on it so I might get more than three fingers in the loop. It's been fine for pigs but if I really had to go to town with it, adrenaline and all, I could rack it faster with a larger loop given the size of my hands.

Feedback Score
    My Marlin started life with a 20" barrel, and I had it whacked to 16". Handles better in brush, and what we always called the "Conrail Load" (stop a locomotive) was showing 1600'sec in the carbine...yet I never thot' it had punishing recoil. Loaded it down slightly for our daughter to take a deer, and she didn't complain about kick.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    This has also been an interesting topic to me for a while now. My idea is to have a 16” 30-30 platform that I can thread a suppressor on instead of messing with 300BLK. Guessing it would be quieter to boot with no action noise. I have a 40+ year old Marlin 30-30 but the barrel is too thin to do this with so I assume I’ll either need to rebarrel it (not sure how possible that is) + do all the necessary work on the action and add a rail for an optic or just get a new host...which is my question...is that Marlin Dark series posted earlier the only game in town for a project like this?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast