Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My lever action defensive rife or "Cowboy assault rifle" if you will...

Feedback Score
    This might be my next one. Marlin dark series

30-30 Win.

5-shot, full length tubular magazine

16.25" Barrel

Threaded muzzle - 5/8"x24

Parkerized finish on metal

Paracord Sling

XS Lever Rail with Ghost Ring

Black stock painted with black webbing

Big Loop Lever

Paracord wrapped lever

Overall Length: 34.5"

Approximate Weight: 7.65lbs

I have a 1907 Windchester model97 30-30 sadle ring carbine that I dont want to mess up.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I like that Marlin Dark series, cool looking gun if a little spendy. Here's a (partial) pic of my 30-30 Marlin with a Burris Fastfire II

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Love my levers. Something tells me they are on a up-tick trend in popularity right now.

My .357 Marlin 1894C paired with my Ruger GP 100 is great combo. However the Marlin is a JM stamped original and they are, as mentioned in the thread, irreplaceable nowadays. But I took a lot of deer from tree stands with 168gr Buffalo Bore's in that carbine. Skinner Sights were a beautiful and worthwhile upgrade to it.

My .44 1894SS is a tack driver despite being a Remlin. I'm not opposed to using that carbine all over the ranch and possibly leaving available as a HD gun.

Last shooting outing at a friends ranch I witnessed my 44 was smacking steel plates twice as hard as my 300BLK subs.
    Last edited by matemike; 09-22-19 at 07:31.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Mine was never bought as a hedge but who knows the way things are going. I have been loading with trail boss around 1000-1100 fps for some short range steel fun. With the lack of recoil, makes it a blast and all can enjoy.

Feedback Score
    Don't let that O'Rourke fellow see those tactical levers, he'll have a bird. Call it a 19th Century Assault Rifle, and he'll be writing legislation.
    My 16" trapper Marlin isn't an objectionable kicker with 240 grs around 1600. I've lost my enthusiasm for .357 Mags in revos, and that has carried over to carbines. No offense, that is just me.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I find my tastes start to change the older I get. Years ago I would never look at a lever action, now I find myself picking them up at gun stores and debating on whether or not to buy. A while ago I was talked into buying an old Marlin 336 30-30. It was ok but I just didn't care for it. Since it was a C&R I sold it to some collector. Now I regret getting rid of it.

Recently I stumbled into a Marlin 1895CB in 45-70. 26in barrel, 9 round tube! It's still on layaway but I can't wait to take this one out

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I find my tastes start to change the older I get. Years ago I would never look at a lever action, now I find myself picking them up at gun stores and debating on whether or not to buy. A while ago I was talked into buying an old Marlin 336 30-30. It was ok but I just didn't care for it. Since it was a C&R I sold it to some collector. Now I regret getting rid of it.

Recently I stumbled into a Marlin 1895CB in 45-70. 26in barrel, 9 round tube! It's still on layaway but I can't wait to take this one out
    45-70 would be kinda overkill for a defensive gun, but they sure are cool. My VFW has a 1895GBL up on a gun raffle. We're hoping the lust for the big cartridge will sell tickets...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    45-70 would be kinda overkill for a defensive gun, but they sure are cool. My VFW has a 1895GBL up on a gun raffle. We're hoping the lust for the big cartridge will sell tickets...
    Always wanted some kind of a big cartridge rifle after playing with my friend's Buffalo Bore 45-70 single shot but I never liked the carbine versions of the lever actions in 45-70. Then this one showed up at a LGS. With the Marlin we're talking 26in octagon barrel with 9 rounds!

Perfect size and caliber for home defense!

Feedback Score
    To my lasting regret, I picked up a Ruger #3 in .45-70. I reloaded for it, and never did find a way to load it down that it didn't kick me half to death. It weighed maybe 5 lbs, and I tried kapok, toilet paper, just to fill that cavernous case and produce some reduced power loads. Nothing worked, and I dumped it.
    This was the days before Trailboss.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    This thread got me wondering if lever-action rifles in pistol cartridges would become the go-to rifle for home defense if they ever outlawed semi-auto's. But I think they would have too much overpenetration to be safe for use inside. A shotgun might return as the big dog again. Although Browning does make some level action rifles in .223. I'm not sure but it got me thinking.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast