Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My lever action defensive rife or "Cowboy assault rifle" if you will...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just picked up a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that I had shortened down to 16.25 with an Ashley Rail installed. I had the work done by some of the best Cowboy Action gunsmiths in the country. Action job and shortening of the barrel was a reasonable $400. Very pleased with the results.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I just picked up a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that I had shortened down to 16.25 with an Ashley Rail installed. I had the work done by some of the best Cowboy Action gunsmiths in the country. Action job and shortening of the barrel was a reasonable $400. Very pleased with the results.
    Sounds nice. I put the XS rail on my 336, (30-30) but want some magnification on it. I have been considering the Ashley Rail, and a Vortex Strike Eagle...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Sounds nice. I put the XS rail on my 336, (30-30) but want some magnification on it. I have been considering the Ashley Rail, and a Vortex Strike Eagle...
    Mine has a Vortex 2-7x LER scope on it. I'm happy with it so far. Pretty inexpensive scope really but it does what I need, it's really a 200 yard or less gun.....

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Mine has a Vortex 2-7x LER scope on it. I'm happy with it so far. Pretty inexpensive scope really but it does what I need, it's really a 200 yard or less gun.....
    Pics?
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    Pics?
    See what I can do over the upcoming break! I have never had much success with posting pictures online.....

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I personally like the 357 Magnum as a defensive lever gun cartridge over any others. The 357 really wakes up when fired from a 16 to 18 in carbine barrel, it is right on the heels of the 30-30 within a hundred yards or so and recoil is very light. Both my wife and a small statured female friend have no problem blasting 357 rounds out of my Rossi 92 that wears a steel buttplate and both ladies hesitate to shoot a 30-30 again.

The 357 is very easy to reload, the loaded ammunition is relatively lightweight, and it's pretty quiet.

My defensive rifle in an AR, but I wouldn't worry if I only had one of my 357 lever guns.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I personally like the 357 Magnum as a defensive lever gun cartridge over any others. The 357 really wakes up when fired from a 16 to 18 in carbine barrel, it is right on the heels of the 30-30 within a hundred yards or so and recoil is very light. Both my wife and a small statured female friend have no problem blasting 357 rounds out of my Rossi 92 that wears a steel buttplate and both ladies hesitate to shoot a 30-30 again.

The 357 is very easy to reload, the loaded ammunition is relatively lightweight, and it's pretty quiet.

My defensive rifle in an AR, but I wouldn't worry if I only had one of my 357 lever guns.

Andy
    My sons started hunting with a Marlin .357. Using the Federal Castcore 180 grain LBT bullets, there was nothing they shot over about a 10 year period that didn't die. Mule deer, whitetails, feral hogs- literally by the trailer load etc....We had more than one "double" on feral hogs at feeders- hit one in the head and through and through to another, DRT. Used to load .50 cal cans full of .38's for them to shoot, the guns action is smooth as glass, they shot the tar out of it.....When I croak, there will be a serious fight over that one I'm afraid!

Feedback Score

Andy
    My next lever gun will probably be a .357 mag. I want to round off the collection. It won't happen for a while though. I just got a 45-70.

I've actually been thinking about selling this one, as I'm finding out I like the pistol grip style of stock better. Much easier on my wrist. If I do, I'll need to replace it first. I already have a stash of .44 mag ammo, and it does hit harder.
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 12-19-18 at 10:21.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I personally like the 357 Magnum as a defensive lever gun cartridge over any others. The 357 really wakes up when fired from a 16 to 18 in carbine barrel, it is right on the heels of the 30-30 within a hundred yards or so...……...Andy

You are right, it does wake up a bit. Remington 125g JSP is rated at 1450 fps and it chronographs at 2125 fps when fired out of my EMF 1892 with 24" barrel.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Big fan of trapper-length pistol caliber levers. My deer rifle is a .44 Marlin trimmed to 16" and a 4x scope. It's a brush gun, and an absolute hammer inside a hundred yards. My 240 gr reloads are crowding 1600'sec.
    The '94 Winchester is in .45 Colt, and it eats cowboy level loads that still have surprising punch. It wears a Lyman tang sight, which is the way to do bidness on this sort of rifle IMHO. It's quick and accurate, but it is very much in character for a 19th century design.
    Concur that it is easy and legal to take anywhere.
    I thought the out-of-state business was no longer an issue with the Feds, assuming the state you are visiting recognizes FFA firearms.
    Moon

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast