Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My lever action defensive rife or "Cowboy assault rifle" if you will...

Feedback Score
    Depends on what state you go to. Some liberal states are pretty screwed up, and some of my travels will be taking me into Canada as well on my way to AK. Besides, cowboy guns are cool, and fun.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    A couple of 8 shot revolvers and a lever gun in 357 is not a force to be dismissed.

I’m not saying I am going to clean a few racks of plates and a couple of Texas stars and some poppers as quick as I would with a magazine Fed Carbine or semi auto pistols,
    And speeloader or moon clip reloads, let alone the lever gun reloads are not going to be on par,
    But You can be a force to conetend with.

I thought a pump would be faster than a lever gun, but all I have tried and the two I own just can’t be worked as fast as a lever gun without getting some malfunctions.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Having grown up with a old 1916 Win 94 as the home’s first deer rifle and primary defense firearm, I have an affinity for lever guns for both woods and home. Although my current home defense rifle is a BCM middy, I also have a Marlin 1894 to go with my S&W M29 .44. Mainly for fun but also for camping. As you stated, I would feel very comfortable with just my lever gun for home defense. It filled that role in many homes for nearly a century.

My Marlin is pretty much stock with a Leupold 1.5-4x VX2 in a DeadNutz mount. Fortunately it is accurate with the same 240 gr handloads I favor for my revolver. And it really loves shooting a Hornady 240 gr XTP ammo.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    Update... Probably gonna get flamed for this... but I added a light to my .44mag Rossi 92. It's the Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 1 on a Haley Strategic Thorntail mount. In combination with the Romeo 5 already there, this should finish the gun off nicely.

I still retain the good balance, and one handed carry leverguns are famous for.

Streamlight must have known what I was gonna do. They include a perfect size set of little screws for mounting the switch on plastic or wood stocks.

I zip-tied the wire up so as not to have it resting on the barrel.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ok that is not exactly what I think of when a lever action is mentioned. BUT, given your situation and reasoning it makes sense. Still reasonably light and balanced. Well thought out.

There is another thread about AR versus shotgun. I think the most important factor for SD is to use what you are most familiar with. Being able to run a firearm efficiently and smooth and accurately will give you a great advantage regardless of type or caliber. And keep practicing with you SD gun frequently to keep than muscle memory fresh.

The lever action can be a lot of fun to shoot so it makes frequent practice more likely. I don’t think you need to shoot 200 rds every Range session either. But lots of snap shots, reloads, shooting at different size targets and shapes at various SD distances.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    This thread is one of the reasons I love and support this forum more than any other.

With that said, what are every ones thoughts on a Bolt action 357 or 44 mag? Ruger 77/44 or 77/357 being setup to run in this same manner? Bolt guns are generally 50 state legal are they not? Or is it because it has a detachable magazine rule that out?
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JFArmsCo View Post
    This thread is one of the reasons I love and support this forum more than any other.

With that said, what are every ones thoughts on a Bolt action 357 or 44 mag? Ruger 77/44 or 77/357 being setup to run in this same manner? Bolt guns are generally 50 state legal are they not? Or is it because it has a detachable magazine rule that out?
    A bolt gun would work. I think a lever is quicker to operate, but a detachable mag would be quicker to load. Also I can fit 10 rounds of .44 mag in my levergun. How many round mag are you talking? 10 or less should be legal everywhere, but not many bolt guns have 10 round capacity. (I miss my #4 MK 1)

Don't forget... leverguns are cowboy cool...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    A bolt gun would work. I think a lever is quicker to operate, but a detachable mag would be quicker to load. Also I can fit 10 rounds of .44 mag in my levergun. How many round mag are you talking? 10 or less should be legal everywhere, but not many bolt guns have 10 round capacity. (I miss my #4 MK 1)

Don't forget... leverguns are cowboy cool...
    I believe the 357 Ruger 77/357 is 5rd mag and I had a 77/44 before Indiana legalized actual rifles for deer and it was 4 round mags.

When comparing the 30/30 Marlin I have vs the 77/44 I had, I could run the 77/44 bolt much faster. Could be less recoil but that was just my experience.

Oh and I recently acquired a No 5 Enfield (“Jungle Carbine”). Maybe I’ll put some work into it and use that!
    Last edited by jwfuhrman; 05-19-19 at 07:23.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    Feel like I need to step up my photography game.

"Gun on the floor" shots are boring...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I am kind of a .357 Rifle freak and have about five rifles in that caliber. The Ruger 77/357 and my Marlin 1894CP are the two I like the best. Because the Marlin is almost irreplaceable right now, I take the Ruger out more often. I have also set up a very low key Marlin 336 JM with a 16" barrel for car travels and camping. It has all the range I need, plenty of power, and very rarely gets a second look. It anyone does ask about it, they seem to think that I am out with my great-grandfather's rifle for nostalgia. I love my AR's and use them when appropriate, but everyone should own a "on the down-low" rifle. The .30/30 really shines in this role, but the .357 has some good advantages as well. Here are some good thoughts from Veral Smith of LBT fame:

Veral's Book: "Jacked Performance With Cast bullets":

THIS is something Verryy Verryy practical ... and Extremely deadly!

Those 2 Antelope both dropped at 125 and 302 yards lazered w/ 1 round, each bullet through both shoulders/bones; complete shoot-through. This done with an old "pistol" cartridge. I've never seen a more Completely Efficient use of this cartridge. This System WORKS!

1. THE KEY to this whole system is casting the LBT 187 gr. WFN (Wide Flat Nose) gas check bullet ... Randy Garrett copied the exact bullet shape; his 540 gr. Hammerhead in .45-70 at 1550 fps. will shoot completely through an African Cape Buffalo and kill the one behind it.

If you DO NOT cast your own bullets at present, you CAN order this bullet from Cast Performance Bullets: --- HOWEVER: Cast Performance DOES NOT use LBT Lube, THEREFORE, users will run into pressure problems at lower temperatures and with lighter loads than when using LBT lube. Accuracy will not be as good either. Montana Bullet Works sells them lubed with LBT Commercial lube and they'll deliver top notch performance.

NO PROBLEM shooting clean through say 4 to 6 bad guys with this 187 gr. LBT bullet depending on circumstances, any bones hit, etc., as it has already shot lengthwise completely through Elk. This .357 Magnum system is in reality a "mini-mini Garret .45-70 type set up".

Research revealed:

** You DO NOT want this combo in a .44 Magnum because:

a. It would be about double the ammo weight And size ...and so you'd carry Easily Twice the .357 rounds.
    b. Not needed.
    c. Excessive recoil in a big way in this M94 configuration w/ 325gr+ gr. bullets. (Like an 8lb. 30/06).

** With this 187 gr. LBT bullet you get 8% to 20% less pressure at the same velocity/output as a jacketed bullet.

** In casting, use 10 lbs. wheelweights w/ 1 TBL. of high antimony shot -- water drop them.

** About 400% more penetration than a jacketed bullet in any realistic medium from live flesh to ballistic gelatin to wet saturated newspapers with inter-spaced bones.

** The LBT Stays nose-on with no yaw while traveling through flesh or liquid medium until it goes subsonic at the least.

** 25% tighter groups. 20% more wound cavitation.

** 80% less cost than jacketed bullets or better if you cast your own.

1. Approx. 17 grns. H-110 or 296 will yield about 1920 fps. in an 18" barrel. (Work up from maybe 16.5gr. or so).
    Use MAGNUM PISTOL primers and crimp the bullet.

2. .357 Mag. brass is Everywhere and cheap as dirt; everybody has it. Sometimes its free.

3. No bullets to buy; you cast your own (you will have to buy Hornady gas checks).

4. Recoil Wayyyy less than a .243/.22-250 and the report is QUIET QUIET QUIET.

5. At 17 grns. of H-110 (or 296), a can of powder goes a Lonnggg way -- 411 rounds.

6. The rounds are about Half the size, weight and maybe 1/5 the recoil of a .44 Mag. In a Grab N' Go you could Easily have over 300 rounds with you -- No Sweat, AND control your environment to easily beyond 350 yards.

7. You have a short, light, accurate, fast firing carbine holding 10 rounds w/ no recoil-induced bullet back-out problems in a spring cushioned magazine tube. You DO WANT the Marlin Model 94 as it will reliably feed this bullet, and you can clean it from the breech. It will weigh 8 lbs. fully loaded with Scoutscope mounted, OR, you can mount say a Burris Fullfield II Riflescope 2X-7X.

8. Compare this .35 caliber bullet, shape, weight, velocity, penetration, recoil, cost, and effectiveness against say a .30-30.

9. I would guess that Most of today's shooters/hunters/riflemen have Very Little idea of what can be accomplished with lead bullet technology similar to what was used 2 centuries ago. You look around and you don't see any more Buffalo wandering about.

10. THIS IS A SERIOUS, DEADLY, EFFICIENT, ALL-ROUND SYSTEM!

You could employ this carbine system say to a town's population of females from young girls 10 years of age on up, (even young girls will LOVE shooting this rifle) who have been taught only basic Riflecraft and Mindset... and have an unbelievable force to be reckoned with. It is an AWESOME combination for either hunting, or, for urban warfare if needed.

It is unbelievably deadly and it is accurate, zilch recoil and QUIET QUIET QUIET. This combination has shot lengthwise completely through Elk up in Idaho; this bullet is the KEY to this combination to be able to have such capabilities. The bullet Ballistic Coefficient is .187, the B.C. being run as a G-1 drag model.

You can easily be effective to 300 yards with this combination, and it looks plebeian and Totally Innocent. 10 rounds of this as fast as you need to shoot and as fast as you can work that lever and shoot...its Fast!

THIS SYSTEM WORKS!!

11. All of this, in a simple "innocent, plebeian, ho-hum" looking piece at an inexpensive price that is "legal" even in places like the Peoples Republik of New Jersey or California.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast