Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: My lever action defensive rife or "Cowboy assault rifle" if you will...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sndt1319 View Post
    This thread got me wondering if lever-action rifles in pistol cartridges would become the go-to rifle for home defense if they ever outlawed semi-auto's.
    That is the direction I am heading.

Feedback Score
    Used to be that way back in the days of horse and buggy. Pistol and rifle being the same caliber made ammo requirements much easier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Used to be that way back in the days of horse and buggy. Pistol and rifle being the same caliber made ammo requirements much easier.
    Well, I have a 5.56 rifle, and a 5.56 "pistol". Does that count?
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Of course! Isn't that the whole idea?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Well, I have a 5.56 rifle, and a 5.56 "pistol". Does that count?
    Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Of course! Isn't that the whole idea?
    LOL those are not "hip" pistols.
    This being a M4 site the nod obviously goes to carrying mags pre-loaded with rifle cartridges.

But seriously, don't knock those magnum pistol lever action carbines. They are a real joy to shoot. The idea is to have a hand gun that uses the same ammo as your long gun. This is generally "small" ammo so it's feasible to carry more rounds. More so than rifle rounds. The long guns tend to get all the trigger time though as they are more forgiving than those big magnums in a hand gun.

I wish one of the major manufacturers made a lever action in .500 S&W. My dad has one that he had custom made by Bighorn I believe. It's a $2,500 lever action though. If Marlin or Henry made one it would be more affordable. Talk about a good bear/dangerous game gun to carry along side a .500 revolver.
    Last edited by matemike; 09-29-19 at 00:30.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Depending on ammo, a PCC lever gun makes a lot of sense. My chief complaints with shotguns are their size, recoil, and relatively few rounds. A PCC holds more rounds, is shorter, lighter, and (load dependent) kicks less. Nah, I'd take a PCC lever as a defense piece in a long heartbeat.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Anybody have any experience suppressing leverguns? I was eyeballing the Marlin threaded .357 and got some ideas. I like the factory peep sight on that model, but most cans would probably obscure them, and I would want to stick to irons on this project. The Dead Air Odessa might work, but I need to contact them and see if its rated for that; .357 and .38 are not on the list on their website.

Anybody know of any other suitable cans for iron sight use?

Also, if anybody knows of a suitable threaded host in .357 with blued steel and walnut with a regular (non big-loop) lever, I’d love to hear about that.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Anybody have any experience suppressing leverguns? I was eyeballing the Marlin threaded .357 and got some ideas. I like the factory peep sight on that model, but most cans would probably obscure them, and I would want to stick to irons on this project. The Dead Air Odessa might work, but I need to contact them and see if its rated for that; .357 and .38 are not on the list on their website.

Anybody know of any other suitable cans for iron sight use?

Also, if anybody knows of a suitable threaded host in .357 with blued steel and walnut with a regular (non big-loop) lever, I’d love to hear about that.
    The SilencerCo Osprey might be a good option to look at. I think it's rated for 357 mag on barrels 16" or longer. (Pic borrowed from Reddit)

Hickock did a video with an SBR'd Mare's Leg and an Osprey (shooting 38 spl):

Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 09-30-19 at 07:40.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Osprey looks like it might be a good idea, thanks.

Feedback Score
    If I had the time, and money, I'd suppress, and SBR mine too, but with no stamps, I don't have to worry about traveling with it.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast