Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 226 red dot advice

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    What if it's never over? Still have irons on your rifle?
    On 2/6, yes. This isn't a rifle thread. In addition to the sights being very different, how the weapons are employed are vastly different as well.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Somewhere, there's a guy with a gen 2 Glock 17 who can't wait for this weapon-mounted light fad to end.

Somewhere, there's a guy with a Glock 22 who can't wait for this 9mm fad to end.

Somewhere, there's a guy with a 4006 who can't wait for this polymer frame fad to end.

Somewhere, there's a guy with a 1911 who can't wait for this high-capacity auto fad to end.

Somewhere, there's a guy with a S&W model 27 who can't wait for this semi-automatic fad to end.

Somewhere, there's a guy with a Colt Model P who can't wait for this sights-you-can-see fad to end.

Somewhere, there's a guy with a Hawken pistol who can't wait for this metallic self-contained cartridge fad to end.
    As soon as I start getting beat by someone with a red dot I'll start milling my slides and putting blue tinted glass with a 4 moa dot that can be made completely ineffective by a drop of water on the emitter on them. Practiscore and uberscoremaster have yet to convince me I need one or it would make me more effective.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I can't wait to go back to a pistol that is more difficult to shoot at distance and on the timer is less efficient too.
    Maybe for you. I shoot 1-2 matches a week at three different clubs in the North Texas area. There is one Master classified shooter that beats me with a red dot, by 1-4 seconds overall.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've ran drills back to back with and without the dot and found no change in speed, but my accuracy is measurably better. Up close it's not really a big difference, but past about 15 yards it is noticeable. This was running about 500 rounds each through a red dot and iron sighted gun recording the data and comparing. Bill drills from 7-25, the humbler, press six, a few USPSA classifiers, etc. I'm a lowly B class shooter, so maybe if I was better with handguns overall it would be different.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    As soon as I start getting beat by someone with a red dot I'll start milling my slides and putting blue tinted glass with a 4 moa dot that can be made completely ineffective by a drop of water on the emitter on them. Practiscore and uberscoremaster have yet to convince me I need one or it would make me more effective.
    So you've never even tried them, it sounds like.

ETA: In any event, nothing you've posted suggests that it's a fad and as I see more and more serious shooters go to pistol-mounted MRDSs, I don't see many (or any) dumping their MRDSs and going back to irons.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 07-26-18 at 17:16.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    As soon as I start getting beat by someone with a red dot I'll start milling my slides ...
    There is one Master classified shooter that beats me with a red dot, by 1-4 seconds overall.
    So is it in the mail yet?

In all seriousness, OP wants one and I doubt youll talk him out of it.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 07-26-18 at 22:13.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

Ha! Nice catch. What I neglected to say is that he is he single shooter with an optic who consistently beats me. Everyone else runs irons.

While I’m sure they are helpful to shoot at 30+ yards I’m just not sold on the idea that’s what one should be training for. I think the VAST majority of shooters would be better served by buying another 3k rounds and taking a class. Shit, even in high speed classes the distance shots are an unbelievably small portion, usually reserved as the last drill of the day or right after lunch for fun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had my P226 slide milled by L&M Precision and a Doctor optic and love it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nj0ywatch1np0rn; 07-28-18 at 18:40. Reason: change picture

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Maybe for you. I shoot 1-2 matches a week at three different clubs in the North Texas area. There is one Master classified shooter that beats me with a red dot, by 1-4 seconds overall.

Curious, what game are you shooting, IDPA or USPSA, and what division? I assume that the master who's beating you is shooting a slide mounted optic, not an open gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

Already have several my use is for duty only, I don't compete at all. For my use i see several benefits including being able to stay threat focused, increased accuracy/speed on moving targets, easier/faster Target transitions and greater accuracy at distance.

I was more asking about the specific application on my 226 in regards to the Rx. The only time I'll be using irons is with new recruits. All my shooting will be with a RDS in the foreseeable future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast