Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Many choices of Gp-100 these days

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    I hope it works well for you and that you highly enjoy it. You gonna handload for her then?
    Thanks. Hopefully I get a good one. Ruger has been skipping some quality control and letting a few lemons out. Saw it over at ruger forums.

I don't reload yet. Maybe this gun will be the catalyst. I've already ordered ammo. Got some .44 Russian and some Keith loads, too. (255 gr @950 fps from a 3 inch barrel)

I plan to save all casings.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks. Hopefully I get a good one. Ruger has been skipping some quality control and letting a few lemons out. Saw it over at ruger forums.

I don't reload yet. Maybe this gun will be the catalyst. I've already ordered ammo. Got some .44 Russian and some Keith loads, too. (255 gr @950 fps from a 3 inch barrel)

I do know one thing... Ruger will make it right for sure, if you happen to get a lemon.

a 255gr at 950 is Honkin' and sure to git'r done. Especially a HC or something robust.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HD1911 View Post
    I do know one thing... Ruger will make it right for sure, if you happen to get a lemon.

a 255gr at 950 is Honkin' and sure to git'r done. Especially a HC or something robust.
    Yes they do tend to make it right.

Underwood makes the Keith load (other Co's do, too), a hard SWC 255 gr @1000 fps (4-5 inch). They also make a hard cast Wadcutter 200 gr 1000 fps (4-5 inch) at a more affordable price. I got some of each to try.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Yes they do tend to make it right.

Underwood makes the Keith load (other Co's do, too), a hard SWC 255 gr @1000 fps (4-5 inch). They also make a hard cast Wadcutter 200 gr 1000 fps (4-5 inch) at a more affordable price. I got some of each to try.
    Awesome!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

.44 Russian? .44 SPL brass is plentiful.

I have an old S&W Hand Ejector in .44 Spl. Once in a blue moon, I load up some 240 grain swaged SWCs and shoot it. Use a fast burning powder, e.g. Bullseye, AA2 or AA5, etc. Don't try to magnumize it. .44 SPL is a fun cartridge to load and shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    .44 Russian? .44 SPL brass is plentiful.

I have an old S&W Hand Ejector in .44 Spl. Once in a blue moon, I load up some 240 grain swaged SWCs and shoot it. Use a fast burning powder, e.g. Bullseye, AA2 or AA5, etc. Don't try to magnumize it. .44 SPL is a fun cartridge to load and shoot.
    While shopping ammo I saw the .44 Russian for about $2 more so I got a box to try.

I only got some strong loads to see what they're like, see where they shoot, and for trail defense.

Otherwise I want accuracy.

Feedback Score
    Finally got to shoot the GP100 .44. I'm pleased with it.

90 rnds, mostly lead, and everything worked fine. Gap didn't gum up, no issues with my gently polish work or the Wolf hammer (12 lb) and trigger return (10 lb) springs, and everything ejected easily. The Underwood 200 gr and 255 gr ("Keith Load") also ejected fine and showed no sign of overpressure.

The sights only required a small elevation adjustment. The 200 gr easy loads shoot point of aim, the heavier, hotter loads shoot are a six o clock hold at 25 yds. All of the loads had good accuracy. (they all did less than 3 inches for 5 shots at 15 yds single-action free-hand with sweat rolling down my face in the afternoon heat) I'll get better with more practice with the gun.

As for recoil the cowboy loads are downright pleasant. Probably like a steel 1911 with 200 gr bullets at 700 fps. Nothin' to it and they can fired DA as fast as I want because it's the DA pull that limits speed, not the recoil.

The hot "Keith" style loads are like a good shove, plenty of muzzle rise, and were the only loads I actually noticed hitting my palm kinda hard. But even they weren't actually painfull. Reminded me of a hot 200 gr load from a Glock 10mm I guess, only more of a push.

I think it's going to be great as a trail-defense gun.

Feedback Score
    I really like the Ruger in 10mm. The 10 has made a solid comeback. I have had a Glock 20 in 10mm for quite sometime, and have wanted to find a prelock Smith 610, but the Ruger in 10mm just might take away that need.
    Last edited by akwalk; 08-25-18 at 00:50.

Feedback Score
    I just wanted to inform that a guy on another forum found TK Custom now has moon clips that are .40" thick and worked perfectly in his GP100 10mm while firing 10mm and .40 ammo.

People report warm-hot 10mm feels like .357 magnum and .40 feels like .38 special. I suppose that's what one would expect.

Feedback Score
    Two loads ( one .357 & one for 10mm) I would feel well equipped with for tramping about in the woods with a 3" Wiley Clapp GP100 in either .357 or 10mm:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100 (.357 Magnum)

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=394 (10mm)

I would suggest the Hogue mono grip w/o the finger grooves, they are excellent for all purposes. I have them on the Wiley Clapp & the Match Champion.

https://www.hogueinc.com/ruger-gp100...ve-rubber-grip
    Fecal Splatter Expert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast