Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shield 9 ankle carry

Feedback Score

Shield 9 ankle carry

I wear slacks and a button down for work, and am looking for a way to carry in a very discreet way. Conceal ability is an absolute must. Is the Shield too big for ankle carry or doable? I have a hammerless j frame, if that’s a better choice for this.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depends on the holster. I have two. One no name Amazon holster bought for $10 and another one from BugBite for $40. The $10 conceals better but barley holds on. Cheep shit Velcro and generally poor construction. The BugBite stays put but because it's so formed to your leg it pushes the gun out causing it to bulge.

Borh holsters were used for a Glock 43. I think the Shield would be too big

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The Shield is too big to ankle carry IMO. I have always considered it a "full-size" feeling sub-compact.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're average in size, and can wear straight-leg pants a little long, ankle carry is viable. Watch for the leg opening/hem to ride up when seated or when you cross your legs. When I ankle carried the Shield during a test period, I used a Desantis Apache. I use the same for my G43 and J-frames.

Use the 7rd Shield mag.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Ive found the vangaurd with string to be the best for me. Same dress, same gun.

Edit- not ankle carry, aiwb.

Last edited by MegademiC; 07-30-18 at 18:42.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Totally depends on the pants. I very frequently carry a G43 in a Desantis Apache and it conceals pretty well, but that's in baggy khakis. One thing I've found works very well for me is wearing the second sock on that foot over the holster and gun. If your pant leg rides up, it just looks like sock to all but the most detail oriented observer, and the sock tends to hold everything in place and pull the gun in closer to the ankle. It hasn't been nearly as uncomfortable as I thought it would be either.

I'd tend to err on the side that the shield is a tad long in the grip for ankle carry in most pants. It could work with the right pants, and holster, but probably wouldn't conceal well in most outfits.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info guys.

Feedback Score
    BUGBITE and LCP2 works for several people.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've carried J-Frame S&W's Walther PPK/S, G27, and probably others I've forgotten about. I have a Shield 9 2.0 and while I haven't ankle carried it, I'm sure it would be a piece of cake.

The thing is, you need a good holster. One that can support the size and weight of the pistol you plan to carry without it flopping around. There are many out there that will work, it's just a matter of finding the one that works best for you.

Galco is a bit more expensive but very nice especially with larger pistols.
    https://www.galcogunleather.com/ankl..._8_6_1019.html

Uncle Mike's is okay but not so much for larger heavier guns. When I would use one, I'd cut the foot off of one of my old socks, put that on first then a regular sock. I'd roll the regular sock down then install the holster and weapon. After it is positioned to my liking I'd roll the sock up to cover the holster just below the grip.
    https://www.unclemikes.com/holsters/...ankle-holsters

You will also need to make sure that your cover garment (pants legs) are loose enough such that a) they do not print and b) such that you can quickly take a knee, lift the pants leg up and clear of your pistol so you can draw it.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Get a Galco Ankle Glove and some straight trousers and that should work. I found low rise boots help obscure the outline also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast