Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Les Baer vs Ed Brown

Feedback Score
    My Wilson cost almost twice as much as my Baer. The Baer has an accuracy edge, but it needed a 1,000 rds to break in.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Want a Cadillac, get the Brown.
    Want a big block Chevelle, get the Baer.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Want a Cadillac, get the Brown.
    Want a big block Chevelle, get the Baer.

How is that? They're the same size, same caliber, same mag capacity, same everything, one is just crudely built compared to the other.

Feedback Score
    I have owned two Baers in the past.

I currently own one Brown, with three more custom spec builds on order.

I prefer Brown. I prefer the look, feel, and fitment. Superior fit and finish as well. Brown costs more than Baer, and what you're getting is more attention to detail. I wouldn't say that Brown is a better shooter... in that regard they're both great and really tough to distinguish.

Baer builds 'em tighter than they need to be, but that's sort of their signature. They aren't any more reliable or accurate than other high end 1911 makers who don't fit their guns ridiculously tight like Baer. Does that make a Baer worse, better? Eh, just different IMO. I prefer the fitment of a Brown or Wilson, but others may disagree.

Bottom line - both great 1911 makers, pick the one you like best. Know that the extra money you spend on a Brown will be going to slightly better detail work, and superior finishes IMO, but you aren't getting a more reliable or more accurate gun for that extra money. In that regard, Baer offers a great value.

All the best: tacticsfaq.com
    Last edited by Lorrin; 01-10-19 at 04:46.

Feedback Score
    Ed Brown all day and twice on Sunday and have owned them all.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    if you are considering buying one, Ed Brown will not even pay shipping to fix a gun that has problems. I bought a BobTail commander that was throwing brass in my face, they said ship it, we'll take a look at it. I ask for the ubiqitous label to print- NOPE. Their CS sucks IMO. Also, both my Browns wouldn't fit not standard 1911 holsters. I had to have custom holsters which is BS. When I asked they said "they are custom".

Fellow Addict, goto their classifieds and find a used NH or Les B or any other semi custom and save yourself $1K in change. Good luck
    Here's one absolute rule O life: never purchase a 1911 from a manufacture with a bad CS reputation. Brown is considered a step up from Bear but I personally wouldn't buy from any company with notoriously bad CS. If i was still shooting 1911's, I'd probably get a Wilson and call it a day as they make great 1911s, and by most accounts have their QC and CS together. That's worth a few extra $ to me.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ^ Can't go wrong with a Wilson.

Feedback Score
    I agree with Wilson, but in fairness, haven’t owned a Brown.

I’ve owned 4 1911’s. Two Baers, an STI, and a Wilson. One from each company had to go back for an issue. Baer was the worst as far as CS, but all (except for a Baer Comanche SRP) functioned perfectly in the end. I still have the Wilson. I think Wilson makes a quality pistol and stands behind their work.

Feedback Score
    IF anyone cares, looks like this person-OP has Not even been here since the 23rd of Aug. 2018...
    Last edited by RVTMaverick; 02-05-19 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    I used to own a brown. It was great and I would still have it today if it wasn't stolen... I found it very well polished. It looks and feels way more refined then a Baer. The customer service bit is true. They will not pay for return shipping. I was there when my dealer called them after my gun locked up-Brown actually paid but not until my dealer said he would stop selling brown guns if he didn't. Turns out my gun broke a hammer strut, which Brown said had never happened before. I believed them and besides that there were never any issues.

If I had to choose between brown and baer, I would again get a brown. That said, my next 1911 will probably be a Wilson, unless I opt for a custom that reads "Colt" on the slide. I feel like I will end up going with Wilson for reliability and customer service.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123