Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Les Baer vs Ed Brown

Feedback Score

Les Baer vs Ed Brown

Fellow Addicts, Sure want your input. I have owned many Baers and a Few Browns.
    But not enough Browns to conclude anything.
    I Have Baers that shoot into one hole and others that shoot 2 inches at 15 yards from a rest. And some Baers that dont shoot to the sights. Dont get me wrong, I love the Baers
    The few Browns I own shoot to the sights and group well.
    Here are the two questions.....
    Do your Baers shoot to the sights? Your Browns?

How do your Baers Group as compared to the Browns.

I dont know if there has been a thread like this. If so I apologize for redundancy.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don’t currently own a Baer or a Brown, but I have in the past. The Browns are a lot nicer, the one I owned shot as well as the Baers I owned. Any pistol could need to have the sights adjusted.

Baer doesn’t have a monopoly on accuracy. I have not found any Baer to outshoot any other custom or semi-custom 1911.

Feedback Score
    I don't own nor have I shot a Brown. My TRS is the most accurate gun I own and shoots POI for me. I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant so I usually have to adjust sights, but did not have to on my Baer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermedic View Post
    I don't own nor have I shot a Brown. My TRS is the most accurate gun I own and shoots POI for me. I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant so I usually have to adjust sights, but did not have to on my Baer.
    i have heard that the factory grip are not tight, is it all case or maybe son\me factory glitches ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    if you are considering buying one, Ed Brown will not even pay shipping to fix a gun that has problems. I bought a BobTail commander that was throwing brass in my face, they said ship it, we'll take a look at it. I ask for the ubiqitous label to print- NOPE. Their CS sucks IMO. Also, both my Browns wouldn't fit not standard 1911 holsters. I had to have custom holsters which is BS. When I asked they said "they are custom".

Fellow Addict, goto their classifieds and find a used NH or Les B or any other semi custom and save yourself $1K in change. Good luck
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What made your Brown not fit in a 1911 holster?

Les Baers won’t fit in a lot of standard 1911 holsters due to the thicker dust cover, but Brows are, at least used to be, normal spec 1911.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I own exactly one 1911- a EB Executive Elite naked slide in .45 ACP. It will shoot a 1-1/4” 5-shot group at 25 yds with handloaded H&G 68’s. It will also dissasemble easily without tools- something I haven’t heard of Les Baer pistols (though I’ve never even shot any).

My 1911 fits holsters ordered from quality makers such as Milt Sparks, FYI

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Anytime I get a new barel or a new 1911 built I always specify a finger tight bushing.

Baer fits everything until it's close, then beats it the rest of the way with a hammer. And people ooh and aaah about the 'bank vault lockup' and 'old school hard fit'.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    i have heard that the factory grip are not tight, is it all case or maybe son\me factory glitches ?
    Mine weren't loose per se, but less snug than I would have liked. Since it's my carry gun I put a small dab of clear nail polish on the screw and never had them come loose.

Feedback Score
    Never owned a Brown, but have had two Wilson's, still have one. I bought my first Baer about a year and a half ago, a TRS. Out of the box, it was no different to rack back than any other 1911 I've manipulated. Based on all the internet lure, I fully expected it to be immovable. Shoots like a laser, and softer than my old CQB-E did with the same S&B 45acp. I did need a bushing wrench to take it apart, but it wasn't silly tight, as many claim. Can't remember if the "grips were loose" when I got it, because that wouldn't concern me enough to care. I changed out the slim bushings/grips for Challis hex bushings and stocks from Woodcaliber.com anyway.

It did have a few notable issues (I use that term, lightly), all surrounding the safety and it's fitting. It was impossible to engage, and sharp. It was also not fitted properly, and was peening both the slide and frame. I sent Baer an email, but never got a response. I fitted a new Wilson BP safety myself and moved on. I changed the rear sight to a 10-8, and magazine release and recoil spring plug, both to Wilson BP parts.

IMO, Baer is it's own animal, and represents a certain sweet spot in semi-custom 1911's, while Brown is more inline with Wilson and NHC. Some enthusiastically love them, while others hate them with equal passion. The TRS is likely the only Baer I'll ever buy, but I love the pistol, and have zero purchase regrets.

Last edited by straitR; 08-19-18 at 18:09.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast