Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkish O/I's?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Turkish O/I's?

I'm not a shotgun guy, so I don't know what I'm looking at here.
    I'm considering shooting skeet with an old friend, he is returning to the sport and unhesitent to spend 5K on a really nice gun.
    I being a novice and not as well heeled as he is am not going to spend anything close to that money.
    I've looked at perhaps ten O/S's over that last several days and keep coming back to the Yadiz O/U's. At 600.00 they appeY capable.
    What am I not seeing?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spit balling you're not seeing the small stuff. Some of it is just sharp edges, a simple stock, less than ideal ergos and gun fit. You also may not be seeing inferior designs for parts, triggers on some of the cheaper over and unders have reputations for being crap, not just in feel but function and durability. Seen some plastic parts go tits up pretty quick. Seen extractor and ejectors taht break easily. Lack of fitting which can cause issues as well. Shit designs in foreend. If that thing has wood screws or the method the foreend metal attaches is being screwed in from the rear, then run. Seen too many of those strip the wood or back out and then cause function issues. This isn't just turkish gun points, this is designs in cheaper over and unders in general.

What is your honest budget? I ask because I spend more time around shotguns then I care to think about some days, and I see all kinds of flavors come through on the trap line, and fair number through skeet. I have never heard of Yadiz. That is generally something that is a red flag for me. A quick google search brings up that they have been around, apparently for several years now, mostly reference Academy, is this where you are looking at them?, and I have to wonder who is making them over there, and if they are rebranded for the box store. I know a fair number of Turkish guns coming in currently that are cheap on the market, been seeing a lot of tri stars come up, most haven't had issues, at least not yet, but most are new and haven't been beaten half to death. My concern with the tri stars come from them being new, not knowing how long they will be supported, and having seeing small issues crop up, like shoddy bead sights, lack of sights, and general design issues in my opinion on the rib, lack of certain features, and small details and irk me. Some of said small details are irrelevant though for most so that is just me liking nicer things. I also have a concerns about overall QC/QA, but again, this is me.

All that said, if you are looking for an affordable shotty for skeet, sporting clays, trap, ect and don't want to break the bank, my first reaction would be looking for a used Beretta auto, a 390 or 391 are good guns that I have seen with high round rounds on them, Have also seen used 390s and 391s, granted field guns, in the sub $500 and even sub $400 range. Their A300 series is well regarded as well, as is the A400, but it is pricier. All those listed at least at one time had a fair amount of aftermarket support for the shooting games and parts may still be made or found should you wish to pursue things further. After that, if an over and under is your desire I personally, would not go anything less than a Browning or Beretta, while I haven't spent a lot of time behind a Turkish over and under beyond some tri stars and my nephew's turkish made stoeger, I come off with similar opinions of the russian made over and under I used to shoot before upgrade, they are rough, internally they are quite rough, stiff, and just bare bones and not overly confidence inspiring when compared to other guns I have spent more time with. Now the newer Tri stars seem to be a little nicer in some areas, fit and finish, but the most rounds I know someone to have on one personally is around 6-7K, I also know one who just had the extractor break and one with a forearm issue. For reference the Beretta auto loaders I mentioned I have seen go 6-7K without cleaning. I personally have a browning with north of 50K through it. Probably closer to 75k, but didn't track rounds too closely so high estimate is closer to 100K. Eitherway, my personal opinion is look for a used pizza blaster, or perhaps a newer A300 Beretta. If nothing else the Beretta will also hold value better should you decide to sell it later.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yildiz, sorry.
    It would seem to have some mixed reviews and have had some catastrophic failures on occasion.
    I'm wondering if this is isolated to the models with aluminium receivers.
    Apparently this is imported by Academy.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I'm considering shooting skeet with an old friend, he is returning to the sport and unhesitent to spend 5K on a really nice gun.
    I being a novice and not as well heeled as he is am not going to spend anything close to that money.
    I've looked at perhaps ten O/S's over that last several days and keep coming back to the Yadiz O/U's. At 600.00 they appeY capable.
    What am I not seeing?
    Have you ever shot a round of skeet? There is a 95% chance you won't like it. I find it as boring as watching grass grow and you're not going to be very good at for a long time. I agree with Kain... Get a 390-391 Beretta. I would probably get one with a 28" Sporting rib if I couldn't have but one barrel. While not a skeet shooter I shot a thousand rds a month at sporting clays for years. I shot many guns but always came back to The Beretta 391.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    This- most certainly^^

I went through a trove of O/U's; different Beretta's, Brownings- and always came back to 391's shooting Sporting Clays.
    Being a gas gun they shoot soft, stocks are fairly easily modified for drop/cast and they are extremely reliable.
    Also you can buy two for the cost of a decent O/U Beretta/Browning.

While longer barrels; 30-32"+ are currently fashionable in SC's, I also agree with 28" as a good, "do all" barrel length for a first/serious clays gun.
    Like all shooting games; you'll figure out what works pretty quickly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What am I not seeing?
    I'd look used first off. I started with an 870 that I bought a Hastings barrel for and then bought a used Browning Gold Sporting Clay at the LGS.

You might want to think about taking a class or checking to see how your skeet range operates. Here is why I say this - I had just started shooting skeet in 2007, I was shooting 100 shells (versus rounds of skeet) two or three times a week. Then I had an accident which laid me up for a year, and it was just recently that I got interested again. A couple rounds and I've pretty much lost interest for the time being.

Why? Because I need to shoot reps on each station instead of shooting a round. If I want to shoot 25 reps of singles at station one, then repeat shooting 12 reps of singles, I should be able to do so. That ingrains what I need to see, it is the way I learn. Unfortunately, my club has pretty strict rules and such heresy is not tolerated. This has cooled my drive.

I'm planning on going to OSP in Houston this November to see what they can help me do.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I shoot a fair amount of sporting clays and IMO the cheap $500-$600 O/Us are a crapshoot at best.

Ideally I would go with a Beretta or Browning. Browning Cynergys can be had for $1300 (Cynergy CX) and the Browning Citori CXS is a great gun for around $1600. Berettas start around $1800.

For more affordable new over/unders, the new production Weatherby Orion which is Turkish build can be had for around $800-$900, and the new production SKBs are also sourced from Turkey and can be had for around $1000 (SKB 590 and 690) and that is about the cheapest I would go. I think the new SKBs have a edge over the new Weatherby Orion.

Another option is buy a high quality used shotgun in good condition. Quality over/unders can last several lifetimes. Some great options that are surprisingly affordable include the older Japanese built Winchester 101s (Kodesha Built), Japanese Built SKBs, and Miroku (Miroku makes the Browning Citori).
    Last edited by crusader377; 07-30-18 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Feedback Score
    I think it depends on your intended use. If you are intending to be a casual clays shooter say 500 shells per year, then the Yildiz should give you many years of service. However it is not a heavy use gun like a Browning or Beretta which can last decades if not a lifetime of heavy use.

Feedback Score
    Yildiz is fine as a light weight, carry alot, shot little gun. The light weight makes it terrible as a clays gun. But.kept in its intended roll, they are fine. I had one awhile, it was fine. But my Guerini sporting is what gets hauled out each week to smash clays

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast