Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkish O/I's?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by crusader377 View Post
    For more affordable new over/unders, the new production Weatherby Orion which is Turkish build can be had for around $800-$900, and the new production SKBs are also sourced from Turkey and can be had for around $1000 (SKB 590 and 690) and that is about the cheapest I would go. I think the new SKBs have a edge over the new Weatherby Orion.

Another option is buy a high quality used shotgun in good condition. Quality over/unders can last several lifetimes...

I don't claim to know shotguns well, but this is good advice.

1. Turkish isn't always Turkish. An uncle of mine has a Stoeger O/U, and it's fine — it's not beautiful, but it did a good job on pheasants at -5°F several years ago.

2. Used is a good idea. Another uncle of mine has an older Made-in-Japan Weatherby, and it's beautiful. My dad liked it so much that he found one on GunBroker for ≈$1,000 a year or two ago... It's like new.

Feedback Score
    Another thing that you need to remember with Turkish guns is that there are many different manufacturers building guns at different price points. Lower end Turkish guns have a poor reputation which is often justified but at the same time, people tend to forget about the nicer Turkish guns. For example, the Dickinson Plantation SxS (Akus built)are extremely nice guns which are priced extremely well.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Are the chokes an existing pattern or unique to Yadiz? If unique, are they availible. If you serious about skeet you're gonna need some chokes.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My first shotgun was a 391 and I haven't looked back. Just like the advice you'll get on ARs here, buy known names and be done with it. Beretta, Browing and CZ, with CZ having the most affordable options, IMO. Pump guns work fine, too. Nothing like watching a grey beard smoke clays with a well used pump in front of the big money newbs swinging their $15k+ K guns who can't hit 5 in a row. From what I've read and been told, the cheaper o/u's can be absolutely regrettable purchases. For example, a gun dept guy who actually knows what he's talking about steered me away from the cheap Stoeger o/u's because there were serious QA issues with barrels being misaligned- just a fraction of an inch, but if the top and bottom arent true then you'll obviously have problems making consistent hits. Other Stoegers seem ok, YMMV. If you want to read up on shotguns, check out Shotgunworld.com. It has forums with reviews and experiences of different makes & models, so you can get a good amount of knowledge their. Also, an active buy/sell EE so you could find a good used skeet gun there.
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 07-31-18 at 08:53.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Beretta 390/outlander is very hard to beat in your price range. Soft shooting and reliable. Will guarantee you can shoot better with a Beretta auto than you could with the $600 over under/from Academy. Stock adjustments, etc.

I love my Citori but it's now reserved for quail hunting. if you are determined to have an over-under I'd look for a used Citori.

I'd also consider a BPS pump. Unless you are competing skeet you really won't be that much of a disadvantage shooting for fun. We do slow doubles for any shooting pump guns when we shoot. (My kids have BPS's)

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Cheap doubles also usually mean unregulated barrels.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
    Cheap doubles also usually mean unregulated barrels.
    Also ejectors that only raise the shells and NO barrel selector switch.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have several Browning O/U. I always wanted a Berretta O/U but they never offered me a natural point of aim. All good advice above. I would add, go shoulder some guns and see what comes up to your shoulder and lines up straight. By that I mean, its not pointing up or down and needs adjustment every time.

I was at the range one time and some guy let me shoot his Browning O/U in 410, and I was lights out -for me! He said you must really get yourself a Browning.

I like Brownings for O/U, Benelli for semi autos and the trusty Rem870 or Benelli Super Nova for pumps. Ive never had the pleasure of shooting these notorious Berreta gas series of guns. Based on the above shooters, I would have to say go shoulder them and see how they fit you.

Approach the shotgun world with extreme caution, they can be as addictive as other long guns, short guns and AR's etc. You might need a another safe soon.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-02-18 at 09:38.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I have several Browning O/U. I always wanted a Berretta O/U but they never offered me a natural point of aim. All good advice above. I would add, go shoulder some guns and see what comes up to your shoulder and lines up straight. By that I mean, its not pointing up or down and needs adjustment every time.

I was at the range one time and some guy let me shoot his Browning O/U in 410, and I was lights out -for me! He said you must really get yourself a Browning.

I like Brownings for O/U, Benelli for semi autos and the trusty Rem870 or Benelli Super Nova for pumps. Ive never had the pleasure of shooting these notorious Berreta gas series of guns. Based on the above shooters, I would have to say go shoulder them and see how they fit you.

Approach the shotgun world with extreme caution, they can be as addictive as other long guns, short guns and AR's etc. You might need a another safe soon.

PB
    This ^. I like Brownings, but the Berettas just suit me for reasons I can’t explain, other than, they just fit and point effortlessly. Barrel length again is a matter of preference and trying out the myriad combinations. Go try before you buy and I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for. No wrong choices out there, really, just buy quality and don’t be in a rush to purchase.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    This ^. I like Brownings, but the Berettas just suit me for reasons I can’t explain, other than, they just fit and point effortlessly. Barrel length again is a matter of preference and trying out the myriad combinations. Go try before you buy and I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for. No wrong choices out there, really, just buy quality and don’t be in a rush to purchase.
    We are all built differently and the OP probably doesn't know what does or doesn't fit him. A shotgun has to shoot where you are looking. If you are aiming it you will not be very successful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast