G&R Tactical
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: Is This Target Suitable for an AR 15?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    169
    Feedback Score
    0
    I use almost all 3/8" AR500 targets never any closer than 100yds with .233/5.56 green tips will ruin a target as will shooting closer than 100yds. At 400yds and farther with .223/5.56 one could get away with AR400 steel if however you are going to be using other calibers on the targets I'd push the distance to 600-700yds before dropping to AR400. I have two 4'x4' 3/8" AR400 targets at 1000yds that show zero damage even with 338's solid copper bullets pounding on them. At 600yds 1/4" mild steel will work for 223/5.56 but other calibers will tear it up. I can ruin 1/4" mild steel at 900yds with a 6.5 creedmore my buddy shoots right thru it at that range with his 300 mag.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,041
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I haven't used every target, base, or hanger, but I can say that the MGM rifle target stand puts the steel at a healthy angle, allowing pretty close shooting as long as you sandbag the base.
    Details on their page:
    https://mgmtargets.com/tactical-targ...-and-tube-base

    I own two of these, and they have lasted since 2011, though I haven't used them heavily since 2014 or so, having shifted gears more toward long-range stuff that permits much lower durability targets.
    Jack Leuba
    Director, Military and Government Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

    Director of Training

    FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    4,341
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I haven't used every target, base, or hanger, but I can say that the MGM rifle target stand puts the steel at a healthy angle, allowing pretty close shooting as long as you sandbag the base.
    Details on their page:
    https://mgmtargets.com/tactical-targ...-and-tube-base

    I own two of these, and they have lasted since 2011, though I haven't used them heavily since 2014 or so, having shifted gears more toward long-range stuff that permits much lower durability targets.
    I have two of these as well except my stand is different, mine uses their 2X4 approach. Just awesome targets. We have beat mine to death and great for close shooting as you said. We have beat mine so hard its bowed down at the bottom , which is fine too. The more it throws the lead to the ground the better.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    25,379
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaswoodguy View Post
    green tips will ruin a target
    Have you seen this? I read it all the time, but my actual experience is the opposite.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    169
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Have you seen this? I read it all the time, but my actual experience is the opposite.
    Yes a buddy from work wanted to shoot his new AR build some a couple years back and showed up with green tip surplus ammo from someplace. I didn't notice what ammo he was using until we walked down to the 100yd target after a magazine full had already been shot. There was lite pitting on a 6"X 3/8" AR500 target, pits where maybe 1/4" diameter no deaper than a business cards thickness, nothing completely horrible but with time it would ruin a good target. I was a little put out but it was only a 6" target nothing of terribly much value had it been one of my full size IDPA targets I'd of been genuinely annoyed. I normally run 75-77 grain match bullets and leave no damage even at that range unless I catch a corner of the plate then there maybe some pitting. I do check peoples ammo now when I invite them over to my range I'm not a wealthy man and have a bit of money tied up in steal targets I don't like them torn up. I purchased a small3/8"x 6"x6" AR400 target just to test rounds on when we where contemplating buying a full 4'x8' sheet of the stuff for the 1000yd target for the big range even a 338 lapua will not hurt it at that range never tried 50bmg even at 1000yds that thing is just abusive to anything in its way. I've also seen a 50bmg turn a 3/8x 12" gong at 400yds into what could best be described as a dinner plate there must of been 1 1/2" of cup to it after one shot.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    9,041
    Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaswoodguy View Post
    Yes a buddy from work wanted to shoot his new AR build some a couple years back and showed up with green tip surplus ammo from someplace. I didn't notice what ammo he was using until we walked down to the 100yd target after a magazine full had already been shot. There was lite pitting on a 6"X 3/8" AR500 target, pits where maybe 1/4" diameter no deaper than a business cards thickness, nothing completely horrible but with time it would ruin a good target. I was a little put out but it was only a 6" target nothing of terribly much value had it been one of my full size IDPA targets I'd of been genuinely annoyed. I normally run 75-77 grain match bullets and leave no damage even at that range unless I catch a corner of the plate then there maybe some pitting. I do check peoples ammo now when I invite them over to my range I'm not a wealthy man and have a bit of money tied up in steal targets I don't like them torn up. I purchased a small3/8"x 6"x6" AR400 target just to test rounds on when we where contemplating buying a full 4'x8' sheet of the stuff for the 1000yd target for the big range even a 338 lapua will not hurt it at that range never tried 50bmg even at 1000yds that thing is just abusive to anything in its way. I've also seen a 50bmg turn a 3/8x 12" gong at 400yds into what could best be described as a dinner plate there must of been 1 1/2" of cup to it after one shot.
    Run M855 and any fast 55gr FMJ (such as M193) side by side on a target at 100 yards, and you'll see more pitting from the 55gr FMJ.
    From a 16" barrel, most M855 is going to be moving at around 2900-3000 fps, and most M193 types will be at 3000-3100 fps.
    The "penetrator" in M855 is not very good at what it does, as opposed to M855A1 or M995, which have actual hardened penetrators.
    Absent a penetrator, speed is the king when it comes to breaking armor steel.
    Jack Leuba
    Director, Military and Government Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

    Director of Training

    FB@ Facebook.com/F2SConsultingLLC
    As accurate as needed, as fast as possible, as many times as it takes.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    373
    Feedback Score
    0
    Here is a good explanation from the guy I get my targets from. It also shows how his carriage bolts on his targets are setup so you get the desired angle. My targets came with the required carriage bolts attached.

    I just bought a cheap folding saw horse kit from Lowes like this: https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-o...ets-67163.html that uses (4) 2x4's that I cut to the desired hang height and bought an 8' 2x6 for the cross piece. I then drilled holes in the 2x6 and attached (8) eyebolts across the top to hang my 4 steel target from and voila, I got a nice steel shooting platform that I can easily pack, move, and reassemble. I don't have a permanent place to put it so this setup helps with that.

    F2S is correct (of course!) Speed is the determining factor which is transferred as heat energy which causes the steel deformation and pitting.

    https://youtu.be/e_xglwjZXO4


    Picture of my simple setup:


  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    25,379
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Run M855 and any fast 55gr FMJ (such as M193) side by side on a target at 100 yards, and you'll see more pitting from the 55gr FMJ.
    From a 16" barrel, most M855 is going to be moving at around 2900-3000 fps, and most M193 types will be at 3000-3100 fps.
    The "penetrator" in M855 is not very good at what it does
    This is exactly what I've observed. M193, 100 or closer, is brutal on targets. Pocks and perforations on plates, etc.
    "You people have too much time on your hands." - scottryan

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    288
    Feedback Score
    0
    Go one even better, shoot sub 55gr hollow points at steel and check out the damage those do.
    I would be interested in seeing what something in .22-250/.220 Swift velocity levels would do.

    Inrange has a video on why they prefer people show up to their matches shooting bimetal .223 loads instead of M193 equivalent due to M193 target damage.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •