Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is This Target Suitable for an AR 15?

Feedback Score
    I have recently started shooting AR15s at ShootSteel.com 3/8 inch AR500 targets. At 100 yards, I have seen minor cratering. 200 yards has not been as hard on the targets. My targets are mounted on 2x4s with the ShootSteel.com protector pieces (they work). My buddy and I have really enjoyed the change from paper to steel targets. Do it, you'll be glad you did.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
    +1 NO GREEN TIP

I prefer never to shoot steel at under 200 with any rifle caliber. The steel just doesn't hold up to even bunnyfart FMJ without cratering. Regardless of brand. 5.56 and .223 is just very fast in terms of velocity.
    Green tip is actually less damaging than 55 gr FMJ.
    The largest danger with green tip inside 100 meters is the "penetrator" bouncing and becoming a secondary projectile.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Green tip is actually less damaging than 55 gr FMJ.
    The largest danger with green tip inside 100 meters is the "penetrator" bouncing and becoming a secondary projectile.
    This has been my experience too. XM193 inside of 100 yards it harsh on steel, and pocks the gong more than M855. 55 gr bullets dump velocity quickly and don't chew up steel as distance increases.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
    I have recently started shooting AR15s at ShootSteel.com 3/8 inch AR500 targets. At 100 yards, I have seen minor cratering. 200 yards has not been as hard on the targets. My targets are mounted on 2x4s with the ShootSteel.com protector pieces (they work). My buddy and I have really enjoyed the change from paper to steel targets. Do it, you'll be glad you did.
    The fact of the matter is your steel is going to get eaten up sooner or later if you shoot it enough. But show reasonable judgement as discussed and it will last years and years. Thats what I like about the slants, they deflect the bullets down and can take more abuse IMHO.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I ended up buying a total of 12 total torso plates, if you shoot AR at 100 yards they will dimple, so I use 6 for AR and 6 for pistol.
    I agree completely. I bought 4 torsos for rifle use only and have only used 2 so far (with one primary, the other only a handful of times).

Local range only goes to 125yds - there are ones that go further out but that is my primary, easy access range so I shoot a lot of stuff at 100-125 yards.

I have hammered that piece with 5.56 ranging from various M193 and M855 loads, Wolf 55gr / 62gr loads, and 762x51-308s from 130gr SOST to 175gr BTHP loads.

It is dimpled and pockmarked from the hits, no doubt but it hangs from 2 chain on either a wood or rebar frame and the swinging allows it to deflect a portion of the energy off the metal.

No way I'd shoot it up close with a pistol, but it keeps chugging after at least 2K (?) rounds on it at 100yards - It could be much higher, that is a conservative estimate and family members have used it when I'm not around. I do file down the edges if it takes a hit there which leaves some metal hanging off, but it's very durable.

Feedback Score
    I can't always go out to 100 yards. What about using 1/2 inch AR500 targets, would they be better close up, say at 40-75 yards?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I can't always go out to 100 yards. What about using 1/2 inch AR500 targets, would they be better close up, say at 40-75 yards?
    I don't think any manufacturer is going to tell you to shoot rifle plates within 100 yards.

I've shot angled plates between 40-60 yards - you get jacket shrapnel back at you. A good slice was all it took to convince me to not do that anymore and actually read the safety manual.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-30-18 at 12:21.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Get frangible ammo.
    Thickness is not the relevant factor, the issue is spall causing injury, not worried about plate damage really.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You could have got the same gong with 2 mounting points for dollars more.

https://shootingtargets7.com/steel-t...r500-gong.html

The bullseye versions aren't that much more and helps with accuracy.

https://shootingtargets7.com/steel-t...arget-470.html

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    3/8" with the slant gives you about the same durability as 1/2" armor due to the impact angle. Frangible is best, but good frangible is expensive. I typically will hand load a hundred round box of thin jacket/varmint bullets and shoot them with eye pro in place for sure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast