Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US Palm magazines are rising from the dead

Feedback Score

US Palm magazines are rising from the dead

Got your attention?

Was at Triggrcon (yes, spelled that way) in Bellevue WA yesterday. Think mini-SHOT show concentrating on tacticool weapons and parts. There was a guy from a company called XTECH TACTICAL LLC who was selling very new magazines for the AK-47.

As I noticed the strong resemblance to US Palm mags, he 'fessed up that his company had bought the magazine making equipment from US Palm. Then they starting improving the design. They call the magazine "MAG47" and show price was $20 each so I came home with two. Me who needed to sell magazines to avoid tripping over them bought more, as they seemed like quality products.

The result is pretty much all the same as US Palm at the top, with the same molded-in steel parts and the same follower full of holes. But now the holes are not needed (for washing the inside) since the new design has a removable bottom panel like just about every other mag in the world. The front and back edges have the same grasping groves as the US Palm. The rep said the spring was improved and is stainless steel, and the actual polymer is some newer and better polymer invented in Great Britain. They only had black on display.

And that brings me to the negative, sorry XTECH, just being truthful. These things stink. As in, open them outside and leave them outside in the wind and maybe even rain. They just reek with a strong chemical smell. I'm not saying it is hazardous and will cause nose warts and shrunken balls, but they stink so bad even the packaging smells bad once it is opened.

I don't know if they have a website but if you are interested, I've given you company and product names right off the packaging. Search away.

Bart Noir

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Interesting, where is this company based out of? No pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    Interesting, where is this company based out of? No pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Here are some swiped from Recoilweb:

Attachment 53140

Attachment 53141

Attachment 53142

Feedback Score
    Looks like they reinforced the rear locking lug. That was a very easy failure point of the USP mags

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For $20 I'll stick with proven eastern European steel surplus

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Only slightly less ugly than the originals... Pass.

Feedback Score
    This is some good news to my ears, "MAG47" for only $20 ? do they have a website ?

Feedback Score
    Google is your friend...

https://www.xtechtactical.com

Feedback Score
    They are Los Vegas based, I believe.

The pictures above show two different products. One is a magazine with a built-in slider for loading like a .22 pistol magazine, and slots in the body making it the Mark II Dumb Idea Magazine. I didn't mention it to this forum as I do not see it as anything worth mentioning.

But the other is a good AK mag, at least once the plastic stops off-gassing bad smells. The top end is steel reinforced exactly as the US Palm, so that both of the locking lugs and the feed lips have steel for strength.

The $20 was "show pricing" and I think he mentioned that MSRP would be $28.

Bart Noir
    Last edited by Bart Noir; 08-01-18 at 13:37.

Feedback Score
    The original tango down AK mags needed better metal reinforcements... if these are the same (can't tell from the pictures, but may be the same) then these will also suck. The removable base plate is a good idea, if executed well, and the price point is better. I wish them well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast