Thread: what are your favorite pistol reflex sights?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

what are your favorite pistol reflex sights?

Looking for thoughts on pistol reflex sights. Sig started with the Leupold Deltapoint for the M17, and they moved to their own now. I think the Romeo 1. This is my point of reference.

If you are building a new tactical pistol, what would you put on it?
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

what are your favorite pistol reflex sights?

Only have experience with the Trijicon RMR 06, Type 1 on a G19MOS. I’ve had zero issues with it. No flickering dot, loss of zero... Battery change went well after I instituted a numeric torque spec and meticulous cleaning of the mounting plate surfaces. The first time I swapped batteries I didn’t do a good job and had a loctite bugger cause an issue with the RMR not seating well. Operator issue, not equipment related. I’ve read that the Leupolds burn through batteries like politicians burn through lies, so I’ve shied away from them. I am looking into the holosun micro jobber as a plinker but for duty/defense I’m sticking with RMR. Aimpoint is supposed to have a micro out as well.

Feedback Score
    I have no problem spending money for high quality and great reliability. I saved up and use a Trijicon RMR and Aimpoint PRO. I think the purchase of red dots should hinge in large part on the purpose of an optic, not just "bang for the buck": that is, whether it is intended for self or home defense or just recreational shooting. For SD or HD I want something that I know will work when I pick it up and that offers extremely good battery life. That said, I have had pretty good luck with several different Vortex and PA optics and do use them on range guns.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My take is that the "RMR" or REFLEX market is on an upswing. For years, many pistol shooters have eschewed the red dot, but it is becoming, or some would say it is, mainstream.

The rifle red dot is very mature. Years of deployment by the military. Early pioneers like Aimpoint and Trijicon are still with us, and still are quality leaders. Other entrants have come into the market, largely with imported optics, and have done well. Some of the cheaper optics fell by the wayside, or in the case of Vortex, for example, improved upon their initial models. In fact, brands like Vortex, Primary Arms, Sig Optics, Holosun, et. al., produce very good products.

The pistol based reflex red dot -- I really do want to call it an RMR -- has only recently been adopted by military units, and the M17 now will make a reflex sight standard issue for the US Army. @TAZ , @100 , yes, Trijicon RMR is clearly in the market. What I am looking for is, real life experiences with pistol based reflex optics in tactical conditions. Maybe not life and death (although that would be good to hear), but think of it this way: Which reflex red dot would you put (and which would you never put) on your new Sig P320, FN 509 Tactical, FNX Tactical, Glock 19X, CZ or S&W M&P that you choose, and toss it out of a moving car, and pick it up off the road, and start shooting. I like the battery issue that you raise, @TAZ on the Leupold. Good feedback. On the Trijicon, I would expect nothing but excellence. But, you pay for that as well, right ?

What are the other really good pistol reflex red dots, and which are to be avoided ? I step-back a little from the typical response: 'It will depend upon your purpose.' Ummh. I don't think so, not on a pistol. I am not talking about competition, so tactical use. Go to the range, shoot outdoors, home protection, fight zombies attacking your local Safeway....
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook