Thread: PVS30 + Which Optic for SBR

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

PVS30 + Which Optic for SBR

I’d like to periodically mount a PVS30 on a SBR for shooting 25-75 yds with an emphasis on accuracy. I realize the PVS30 is intended for longer range shooting and likely not someone’s preference for a SBR.

Since rail length is a constraint (MRP Carbine Chassis with 300 BO barrel), length of magnified optic is important. My initial conclusion is a TA33 but I’d like to hear any feedback from those that have tried or know another quality magnified optic would be better suited that is < 7” & Budget < $1000 (new or used)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NotTheNSA View Post
    I’d like to periodically mount a PVS30 on a SBR for shooting 25-75 yds with an emphasis on accuracy. I realize the PVS30 is intended for longer range shooting and likely not someone’s preference for a SBR.

Since rail length is a constraint (MRP Carbine Chassis with 300 BO barrel), length of magnified optic is important. My initial conclusion is a TA33 but I’d like to hear any feedback from those that have tried or know another quality magnified optic would be better suited that is < 7” & Budget < $1000 (new or used)
    That is a mouthful of pretty specific use. You want a magnified night-vision integrateable optic to shoot at short distances on a short barreled rifle?

My first question would be do you want a fixed optic, like the ACOG, or variable ? I love the ACOG, and I find it be well suited for the range you specify and a nice eyebox, which is important for night use. But it is fixed, and at night, you might want point and shoot type capability of a 1x. Also, with the NV, that adds a bit of visual disorientation, which leads me back to a 1x. Many of the NV applications that I see are either a 1x red dot with a throw lever magnifier, like EOTech or Aimpoint, but you will run out of real estate with the SBR, perhaps...

I like the 1-6x optics for that range, or even a good 1-4x. First choice would be the NF ATACR 1-8x, as it has great point and shoot capabilities. Price throws it off your list. Trijicon 1-8x or Vortex 1-6x are clear contenders, and in your budget range, or close. I like the Razor HD-E. It is a bit big and heavy. Trijicon I am not sure if it lines-up with NV. You would have to check. Steiner Military 1-5x would be a great choice. A little more money.

Then, go back and see if the Aimpoint CompM5 with 3x magnifier might fit.

Sorry, I leave you with more Qs than As.
    John
    aka LONGSHOT2000

Disclosure:
    Part-Owner of Charlies Custom Clones
    Avid firearms enthusiast and 2A Constitutionalist
    and agitator of the left and the FAKE NEWS
    Scope Slut and Barrel Nerd

Instagram
    twitter
    youtube
    facebook

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Fixed or variable would be fine. I have viewed an acog 3.5 behind the Pvs30 on a carbine and it was a nice setup which is what biased me towards some kind of ACOG. Rapid point and shoot isn’t a high priority and I don’t think the Pvs30 focus works at less than 20meters.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Eotech
    Larue riser
    BNVDs

Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Eotech
    Larue riser
    BNVDs

Done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BNVD as in Binocular Night Vision Device? If yes, unfortunately I don’t have the budget to buy one and would prefer to maximize the use of what is already available.

Feedback Score
    I have tried my PVS30 on my MRP SPR 12.5" with an Elcan DR 1/4 and it was okay. On 1X it was tunnel like to look at, on 4X the tunnel was reduced. I do not run BUIS on this rifle so I have a bit more room to work with.
    None the less, the objective is very close to the interface for my suppressor. With a 10" barrel, the objective would sit just over the interface, with only a FH I would be fearful of hot gasses and still burning powder. That maybe less of a concern with 300BO. None the less I would worry about burning or staining of the objective lens, that would not be a cheap repair.

On my 16" rifle with a 13.5" rail, the '30 sits nicely in front of an S&B 1-8X same deal on 1X about the same on 4X at 8X the system is very nice, but the light gain with a 26MM lens is a bit lacking.

All and all the weight of the '30 is the biggest detriment when using it on a light weight carbine. While completely doable, shooting is no where near as fast as with a laser and a PVS14 class night optic.