Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This Target Suitable for an AR 15?

Feedback Score

Is This Target Suitable for an AR 15?

This is a 10 inch, 3/8, AR500 Steel target. Is this thick enough for an AR 15?

https://gnarlygorilla.com/birchwood-...t-matte-black/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    This is a 10 inch, 3/8, AR500 Steel target. Is this thick enough for an AR 15?

https://gnarlygorilla.com/birchwood-...t-matte-black/
    3/8 AR500 should be fine, especially if you don't shoot up super close and aren't shooting green tip or anything goofy.

Just remember, all steel is not the same, the way it is cut and hardened makes a big difference. Think of knives, they can have the same material and still be totally different.

Personally, I'm getting all my steel from www.shootsteel.com, but obviously there are other good places as well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    3/8 AR500 should be fine, especially if you don't shoot up super close and aren't shooting green tip or anything goofy.

Just remember, all steel is not the same, the way it is cut and hardened makes a big difference. Think of knives, they can have the same material and still be totally different.

Personally, I'm getting all my steel from www.shootsteel.com, but obviously there are other good places as well.
    Thanks Stickman!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I prefer steel with two attachment points, as it will do more back and forth swinging and settle down faster after being hit - single point like that can take a bit longer to settle down for follow on shots.

Also make sure it swings - sounds stupid but even at 100 yards if you hard mount steel at a bad angle and bad things can happen.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Birchwood and Champion are not the best but will do. I agree with two attachment points, I have one that , one of the attachments is blown off, but I can still use it. So two points are better than one.

MGM, Big Dawg Steel are two places I have bought from. The base is also very important, so look into that. I have a 6 pack MGM rack that uses 2X4 and my slants use 2X4 as well. So when they get trashed, I just buy another 2X4. My big Dawg uses a 4X4. I was just talking too Mark today and saying how amazing it is that my rebar stands have not been cut down yet.

I checked the prices from Stickmans suggestion, that looks like a solid website. Lotta good steal out there, go buy a bunch and shoot a lot.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-29-18 at 18:36.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Thanks Stickman!
    Hey Dr. Bullseye,

When I went to that link there was a pop up to join a mailing list to get 15% off your first purchase.

Just wanted to make sure you or anyone else saw that when going to the site.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    We use 3/8” AR500 at 200 and out.
    Velocity is the steel killer. Although 5.56 certainly won’t shoot through 3/8”, we’ve had it “pocked up” pretty good at 100.
    While not a problem itself, we’ve gotten wicked ricochet with pistol ammo up close from the cratering.
    Last edited by gaijin; 07-29-18 at 19:11.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    +1 NO GREEN TIP

I prefer never to shoot steel at under 200 with any rifle caliber. The steel just doesn't hold up to even bunnyfart FMJ without cratering. Regardless of brand. 5.56 and .223 is just very fast in terms of velocity.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I bought this set a year ago and have shot hundreds of rounds at them. Even shooting rifle rounds as close as 25 yards they are holding up well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AR500-Steel...item3f81cf1bec
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use these guys: https://www.ar500targetsolutions.com...-steel-target/ (notice target prices include shipping)

I needed to buy my own metal after I retired a couple years ago, they were on sale and checked all the boxes I needed checked. I ended up buying a total of 12 total torso plates, if you shoot AR at 100 yards they will dimple, so I use 6 for AR and 6 for pistol.

I am pretty religious about rotating impact faces and having an angled mount. At our academy, we started training on metal using Porta-Target and their stuff has lasted forever. I follow their safety protocols religiously (Savage bought Porta-Target from Paul Sloan about 8 years ago IIRC):

http://savagerangesystems.com/doc/guides/safety.pdf

I've bought some circle plates from various vendors elsewhere because I don't like ears on my plates, I use the angled mount. For my use I need portable stands. I use these hangers:

https://www.ar500targetsolutions.com...t-stand-mount/

And these bases:

https://redstitchtargets.com/shop/2x4-target-base

If you are using 2x4 bases you are going to shred the 2x4, so I armor them with angle iron I buy at a scrap dealer in Wichita. Rifle rounds will go through, but you dont' have to deal with the toothpick splintering.

At the time these were, IMHO, the best deals going, not sure they are still.

If you get nothing else from this post - download or copy the Porta-Target/Savage metal target use instructions.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 07-29-18 at 21:46.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast