Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for a very rigid rail for new Hodge 12.5in barrel build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

Need suggestions for a very rigid rail for new Hodge 12.5in barrel build

Update: chose the kac urx 4 10.75 M Lok. thanks guys

Hey guys,

I sprung for one of the new 12.5in hodge barrels and plan on building this guy into a dedicated night training gun. My criteria are as much rail space as I can get without interfering with my surefire mini, extremely rigid as it will get my mawl and thats about it. Weight is not a consideration. Ideally I would use an 11.5in hodge rail but I can not find hodge 11.5in rails anywhere and geissele doesn't make a good option for a 12.5in barrel. The options I have seen that might work are the CA CMR 11in, CMT 11.5in, v7 2099 11in. Am I missing any or overlooking any that might work better? Do any of you have any time on these rails under nods and have minimal deflection?

Thanks
    Dan
    Last edited by Furbyballer; 08-01-18 at 19:47. Reason: Update

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    One of the most rigid options is the Aero enhanced handguard. If you use one of their enhanced upper receivers the entire upper is very rigid. If you run a suppressor you may not be happy with the lengths they offer (9", 12"). (I have been asking for 10.75" and 11.5-11.75" versions...) The 12" may work with a suppressor depending on the mount, but it is actually 12.6" long. The ID is large enough that a suppressor will fit inside. Non-suppressed you would be fine with a 12". They are a larger diameter than the latest thin rails, but I find that I don't feel the heat as much when running the gun hard. I run the 9" on 11.5" barrels. Their main attribute, though, is stiffness.

https://aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-en...andguards.html

Another option is one of SLR's rails. The SOLO is the one I have experience with. It is thin, very similar to a BCM KMR, but more rigid. Personally, I think it is too skinny, but I have yet to find a better option for a 12.5" barrel. SLR makes many different lengths that work well with a 12.5" barrel, including 11.5" and 11.7".

https://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?...product_id=840

If you want a thin rail, the Centurion is very good. I wish they made M-lok and Keymod in 11"-11.75".

Also, the ALG rails are pretty solid. As with many other manufacturers, they don't make a rail ideal for a 12.5" barrel.
    Last edited by MQ105; 07-31-18 at 11:03.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    For 11.5”-12.5” barrels and rigidity, I like 10.75” URX 4’s and 11” Larue quad rails.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    URX4 10.75. Geissele Mk1/3 10 inch. Hodge Wedgelock. New updated Centurion Arms Original CMR. Those are my picks for 12.5 barreled guns.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Hey guys,

I sprung for one of the new 12.5in hodge barrels and plan on building this guy into a dedicated night training gun. My criteria are as much rail space as I can get without interfering with my surefire mini, extremely rigid as it will get my mawl and thats about it. Weight is not a consideration. Ideally I would use an 11.5in hodge rail but I can not find hodge 11.5in rails anywhere and geissele doesn't make a good option for a 12.5in barrel. The options I have seen that might work are the CA CMR 11in, CMT 11.5in, v7 2099 11in. Am I missing any or overlooking any that might work better? Do any of you have any time on these rails under nods and have minimal deflection?

Thanks
    Dan
    The Mega wedgelock is basically the Hodge wedgelock with a few minor differences.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Hodge Wedgelocks are still produced from my understanding, and from the same material. My understanding is that they were not affected by the Zev change. How quickly you can find them back in stock anywhere is another matter. Hodge 11.5 wedgelock and Hodge/SLR gas block would be a good combo.

It would be great if Geissele made some 11/11.5" rails....

Noveske NSR 11 Mlok would be my choice personally, even though timing the barrel nut sucks. They are pretty rigid thanks to the giant steel barrel nut.
    Last edited by Wolfpack45; 07-31-18 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks guys, I completely over looked the KAC urx 4 and the larue 11in handguards. And yes, why geissele doesn't make a 11 or 11.5in I don't know, as that would be ideal. As for the mega/zev change, those wedgelock rails are now 6061. The hodge branded ones are still 7075 if my information is correct. Thanks for the help!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    The Mega wedgelock is basically the Hodge wedgelock with a few minor differences.
    Zev Wedgelock, now.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I just put a LaRue rail on my new LE 6920. The rail istallation was easy. Removing the FSB was the most difficult part. I went with the 7" rail cause I like the ramp front sight. You are gonna need a starter punch, punches, action block, strap wrench, and a armorers tool. I got all of mine from midway usa. I am very happy I went with the 6920 over the 6940. The gun is a good shooter (even with 55grn ammo). U can use the money the you will save from not going with the 6940, to buy the tools that you will need to work on the 6920 rail project. The Larue rail is rock solid.

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    I have a Hodge 12.5" upper and the Hodge rail is awesome, but like you said, availability is tricky. I do know that OP Tactical has them on order. I was in there last week and they said that they have a bunch of stuff on order and are awaiting delivery. If I had to pick another rail, it would be the URX4, it is a very solid rail and extremely rigid, but I also like the QRF and MCMR from BCM, they may not be as rigid as the URX or HDSI rails, but they are pretty solid and I have not had any rigidity issues with them on either of my SBR's set up for night fighting/training.

My issue with the ZEV/Mega Wedgelock rails is their funky sizing and 12" rail should be 12", not 12.625". Plus they aren't as rigid as the HDSI versions, due to them being 6061.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast